Arcade

>arcade
Why the fuck is this so frequently used as an insult on games nowadays? Arcade games are great, and if anything, we need more of them.

Attached: Captain_Falcons.png (600x450, 466.41K)

Because the majority of arcade games are quarter muncher dogshit designed to let you play for maybe three minutes and then kick you off the cabinet.

I thought the market agreed that longer playtime, more content, and fewer instakill cheap deaths is a good thing?

I use it as a positive.
The wrestling game scene has become too simulations. They oughta to return to a more arcade-like feel

couldn't be AvP

Attached: 1623049457220.png (480x360, 275.4K)

Most people who claim to like video games nowadays don't actually like what makes video games unique at all which is why things like "arcade" and most ironically "video gamey" have become pejoratives.

I dont really know if "arcade games" is really used as an insult but, this if anything.
I'd rather just get an all-in-one arcade machine for home and put all the games I want on it.
I know, I know
>just
but its better than the immense disappointment of going to arcades today, if anymore even exist.

Several times lately I've seen games that focus more on their gameplay at the expense of storytelling or immersion get derided for being "arcadey." Basically what said.

Fromsoft's success seems to imply otherwise

'Arcade' means it's gameplay is designed to be immediate, played for only minutes at a time, is extremely easy, yet tedious, and usually but not always, point based.

For instance. Ace Combat is an arcade game series. Whether or not someone takes that as an insult on them.

>bloated content, and boring unchallenging gameplay is a good thing
Only if you're a child. Genuinely can't stand games like that these days. I want something I can play for an hour, that's going to kick my ass, and force me to engage. I don't want to do cookie cutter sidequests for 50 hours.

>extremely easy
The fuck kind of arcade games are you playing?

Arcade games are not inherently hard.
>oh no I died
Yeah, you also killed 50 enemies before that

bro your 1cc?

Arcade games are difficult, you are supposed to clear them without continuing.

More content is nearly always bad. There is no great game longer than 15 hours.

Easy to pick up, hard to master, which is what makes them fun. You don't have to spend hours acclimatising yourself to basic mechanics, but the game isn't just going to hand you a 1CC either.

Arcade games died out because people refused to get better at video games. If the average gamer could last more than three rounds of Pac-Man or 1cc even a single shmup, then the entire gaming industry would shift to accommodate him.

That never happened. Gamers stopped looking to find difficult challenges in their video games and instead craved cheat codes, unlockables, hi-fidelity graphics and "meaningful experiences" to try and promote the retarded idea that games are art. Being a 'hardcore gamer' stopped meaning you were good at games, it meant you just played a lot of them and ignored other things in life.

Wrong. Console games during the arcade era were 'quarter munchers' because they had deliberately unfair design in an effort to justify pricing. This dissatisfaction was erroneously applied to arcade games based off the many shit NES and SNES games released.

The worst subsection of modern gamers are those who fetishize 'action' titles like God Hand, Metal Gear Rising and Dark Souls for their 'uninterrupted gameplay' while ignoring that arcade games are, by definition, meant to be fun, difficult and pickup-and-play-oriented. They are fake gamers co-opting titles they never played to belong to a group they don't actually relate to.

Stop talking about console games. You are naming console games in a thread calling attention to arcade games. 'Arcade' is not a genre.

>fun, difficult and pickup-and-play-oriented.
That is what games like Dark Souls and Metal Gear Rising are though. I beat all of these games by going in blind, feeling my way around, and having a good time. All of the higher level play stuff is there if you want to engage with it, but they're in no way made under the assumption that the average player is going to be doing that. It's not like the game throws a gate in your path and says "get an S rank, or you don't get past".
So, they're just like arcade games in that regard.

Sometimes it feels like most people don't even like video games, that's why people gravitate towards games that try not to be a video game.

I feel like the vast majority of players get as far as the part where you're a guy moving around in a world, scoring easy kills, and anything more involved than that annoys them. That's why open world is the biggest thing ever.

you don't know what that word means, stop using it