No, this wasn't a ''good'' ''platformer'', you were just a miserable kid whose parents couldn't afford a Nintendo

no, this wasn't a ''good'' ''platformer'', you were just a miserable kid whose parents couldn't afford a Nintendo

Attached: o9zJoXqpd4lzarjIbvvZLFjYGLsLvqCp[1].jpg (1024x1024, 295.22K)

no it was good actually, in fact Sunshine was so bad that I remember Jak and Daxter being better than it despite Mario 64 mogging everything that came before it

Correct. Same with other scrimblo shit like Spyro, Crash, Ratchet, etc.

I jumped from N64 to PS2 and I wasn't a big fan of Jak or even Ratchet 1. The sequels were far more unique, at least weren't aping off of Mario 64/Rare platformers for all of their existence.

>I jumped from N64 to PS2 and I wasn't a big fan of Jak or even Ratchet 1. The sequels were far more unique, at least weren't aping off of Mario 64/Rare platformers for all of their existence.

How were Jak or even Ratchet aping off of Mario 64/Rare?

it's like Super Mario 64 but Jak is way more precise to control than Mario who just glides around, good game

Jak 1 is better then most 3D marios. Cope.

jak takes a fat shit over mario sunshine, all 3 games in fact

anyone else pop a boner when daxter fell into the dark eco

Have you never played Mario 64 or Banjo? Jak and Daxter is basically Banjo Kazooie with worse abilities and a shittier soundtrack

*has the best fishing mini-game in your path*

>with worse abilities
Nice bait, Banjo's Abilities fucking suck and are a sore spot in a other alright game

Nintendobaby here. Loved Jak n Daxter. Then Jak II came out and the series stopped existing for me.

>tendies still coping 15 years later about not picking the best system of the 5th and 6th gen
Let it go anons. You'll be happier

>near launch title
>seamless world
>day night cycle
>fully voice acted
>controls like a dream
>fluidly animated
>still looks good to this day
Just how did they do it? And why can't they do it anymore?

I played this recently it's literally the best collectathon platformer ever made.
Jak2 and Jak3 are messes but this one is extremely good.

Played it for the first time this year, absolutely wonderful. Even today the fact that ND made this experience feel so seamless this early into the PS2 lifespan is insane. It's a shame this game came out so close to the paradigm shift that GTA 3 caused because having a trilogy of Jak and Daxter games that just build on what worked in Jak 1 would have been amazing.

>Have you never played Mario 64 or Banjo?
Yeah they control like fucking shit and the level design sucks. not to mention the horrible camera.

I can't stress how important it is that you immediately kill yourself

It was the best

Attached: 1654499525479.jpg (645x773, 224.08K)

have you replayed Mario 64 once you no longer were a child? it indeed controls like shit

>Jak II came out
This was when I knew Naughty Dog was creatively bankrupt from a gameplay perspective.

Jak trilogy is still one of my all time favorites and takes a hot shit on any platformer from 64 or Gamecube.

the whole zero loading screens for a game like this really doesn't get nearly enough credit as it should, even at the time. This was one of the first games I played as a kid I truly felt immersed in, compared to N64 and ps1 titles

Based lol

>This was when I knew Naughty Dog was creatively bankrupt from a gameplay perspective.

Why was Jak II so different from Jak I?

The underwater city elevator is the only time it's obvious there's a loading screen

HERE COMES A BIG ONE

Banjo controls are objectively bad. there are ways to get around some mario 64 control problems but the design is still bad.
the way Mario slides around like a retarded faggot, get locked in a crouch if you tap it, struggles to turn around and slides forward if you hold backwards shows the movement of both was badly coded and modern platformers learned from and fixed these mistakes.

The movement and cameras of these games were very badly made because the devs lacked knowledge. the face you can't except these old games had huge flaws that worsened with age just makes you a nostalgia fag.

What the fuck is a Nintendo?

>Jak & Daxter
>apes gameplay mechanics from spyro/m64/banjo kazooie in an interesting setting with lore surrounding gameplay mechanics
>Jak II
>we want the GTA audience, timeskip into grungy ugly ass world, DONUT STEEL cringy characters and silent protag turns into 2edgy4me nonsense, old lore thrown out entirely so gameplay mechanics can introduce guns which control so fucking awful, vehicle controls are even worse and the world play area is so tightly designed you have to wonder how this was the same company that made Crash Team Racing

>world play area is so tightly designed
Sorry, should be
>world play area is so constricted

Jak 1 has soul. Mario Sunshine was a soulless gimmicky disappointment after how good m64 was

>tfw got a PS2 for Christmas with Jak & Daxter, Rachet & Clank, and Sly Cooper

Attached: 1636164278037.gif (120x120, 51.78K)

kek I love that guy

GTA 3 came out and platformers stopped being the hot thing

Seethe you faggot tendie, he's right. Mario has always have shitty movement and retarded gravity

Jak 2 had plenty of humor and the first game ended with them discovering the time portal.

The first game ended with them discovering "something". It was literally a fade to white with them saying "Whaaaaat is it????"
They could've gone anywhere with a sequel hook that vague

You know, people say Jak II isn't creative, but how many 3D platformers are there with GTA elements? That's not rhetorical. Are there others?