When will MMORPG stop being a bad version of single player game?

When will MMORPG stop being a bad version of single player game?

Attached: mm.png (1400x700, 1.43M)

Aw sweet a final fantasy xiv cope thread

Attached: FF14.png (522x516, 282.42K)

never you cant catch lot of players by the old way unless you make something revolutionary and grab masses attention

mmmmmmmm my flavor of shit is so much tastier than their flavor of shit

cope

>criticize WoW for being bad
>praise ARR, the closest FF XIV has been to WoW with the endless fetch quests and filler

but singleplayer MMOs are great

Attached: wrath.jpg (638x387, 76.15K)

When I get off my ass and finally make my MMO game idea

You can't play player driven MMOs (think EVE) unless you are a neet. Therefore they will never be as successful because neets are a minority.

>You can't play player driven MMOs (think EVE) unless you are a neet
How come?

>when does game become fun? all it is is words words words
>buy a story skip or fuck off
>heh, imagine paying to skip content, I am very smart

Attached: 43f72154037284257384a5117e7e75d2.jpg (570x438, 30.33K)

Just going off my experience playing EVE when I was in uni and had a fuck ton of free time to sit in game and irc for 10 hours at a time waiting or trying to make shit happen only to get blue balled on most days.
When your game needs players to make the content, then for it to have content at any given time you need to have people that can invest time creating it, even if it doesn't always materialise. The casual audience with jobs and other obligations will always flock to theme park MMOs instead because they can be more easily played in short bursts or on a schedule (think raiding 3-4 hours a day).

It sounds like the real problem isn't the player-driven aspect but the "servers never fucking turn off" aspect. Why should a game require you to play it for 10 hours at a time just because it's player-driven? Aren't all multiplayer games largely player-driven?

>When will MMORPG stop being a bad version of single player game?

When the majority if players don't want it anymore, and as long a social media exists, never.

When people go back to gatekeeping them and games in general

Can only be done effectively through game design. So basically, stop making and playing theme park MMOs.

>play on map with dozens of other players
>kill giant bosses, raid forts, split up and tackle multiple objectives at the same time
>multiplayer mode has 3 servers fighting across 4 maps with hundreds of players in a 3 way match
For all the shit GW2 does wrong, its one of the few MMO's on the market that actually has people play content together instead of being glorified single player with optional co-op.

The difference is that in a theme park MMO the content is always there, ready to be accessed by players. You can set a schedule and say we raid at this time and everyone can log in and do the content they want to do.

In EVE sure you can plan an event like say we'll fleet up and go fight some people at a given time and place, but those people may never show up. So now you just wasted all those hours setting up this bullshit for nothing. That's a no go if you only have a limited amount of hours to play per day. Sometimes it works and it's fun but a lot of it is getting blue balled. Alternatively you can sit in irc and wait for a ping when something happens, which again requires you to be on all day so you can actually jump when stuff happens.

Other multiplayer games like mobas or whatever are different naturally, since they have matchmaking. But that doesn't really exist in MMOs unless you're exclusively playing wow arena or something. Thus you get the massive appeal of "single-player" type content which can be done on demand.

I don't see the point in being able to do content whenever you want when said content is garbage on account of it being instanced, but that's just me. Also, fuck EVE.

Agreed but what's the alternative. GW2 for instance has cool open world meta events, but they are few and always play out the same ergo get boring fast. You have the pvp like user above mentioned, but imo that shit is ruined by some of the thief specs. And again fun for a while but not for long. Market is bleak and theme park formula works, hardcore raid prog is still fun when it's there at least.

>Agreed but what's the alternative
Keep servers on when people in that region are most likely to play and wipe servers on a regular basis.

>wipe servers on a regular basis.
this will never happen. no matter how miserable people are playing a game they will hoard their progression like dragons

Survival crafting games already do it, but the important thing is that it would solve the real problem which is what we're discussing here.

It works because they are survival games, and the core gameplay loop is try to survive, die, try survive.

MMOs are different because sense of progression is a core aspect of any RPG ever. That's why people play RPGs, to progress, to get stronger, better gear, whatever even if it takes months or years. If you take that way it becomes a different genre.

That’s the point ARR is so bad it filters out all the zero delayed gratification zoomers and chinks who love to hollow out good games and turn them into trash for the lowest common denominator

If you can see the good in XIV past ARR you pass the filter, it’s literally a filter

>MMOs are different because sense of progression is a core aspect of any RPG ever
There's progression in survival crafting games, especially in the ones that have quests and bosses. But I really don't know what you're even trying to get at. Why do you think you can't have a sense of progression in a game where servers don't run all the time and regularly wipe? There's a sense of progression in a game of Civ, no? Or HoMM?