MMOs

I was really into the idea of liking New World. Chopping down a small forest is fun. It has a glaring problem: It's not a sandbox. Endgame economy should define activities (holding resource areas; PvPing), but there's little to buy, sell, or craft because equipment is repaired with the same, almost non-tradeable item. What are characters supposed to do when their character and items are maxed? Where's the sandbox? What defines the sandbox for you?

Attached: 1654130169858.jpg (1920x2716, 942.7K)

Holding resource areas is an incredibly boring mechanic. Even wilderness grinding is more fun.

I just jacked off. You have no power over me.

>Holding resource areas is an incredibly boring mechanic.
Why? Somebody could get paid for it.

>Even wilderness grinding is more fun.
Fun is defined by gameplay; RS isn't some 3D experience.

Stop posting off-topic.

Attached: 1654132775765.png (882x1310, 999.21K)

Attached: 023544.png (760x1081, 606.8K)

you again?

That's not what that means; try me.

Attached: 1654133170368.jpg (1800x2400, 813.52K)

I don't know, why does anyone enjoy territory control? Getting PKed is fun because it's a visceral fight or flight experience with immediate tangible stakes. Territory control is... some scheduled zergfests? And the people who already own everything making peace agreements in discord with eachother to protect their assets? What's the appeal exactly?

Who's this semen demon?

"Player-driven actions and economies would solve every problem with MMOs," a retard once said

Attached: 1630800940836.png (460x215, 141.43K)

>I don't know, why does anyone enjoy territory control?
Because territories can be small enough to be easy to control; and everybody enjoys status.

>Getting PKed is fun because it's a visceral fight or flight experience with immediate tangible stakes.
So let the stakes be higher with character looting.

>Territory control is... some scheduled zergfests?
Plausibly not usually.

>And the people who already own everything making peace agreements in discord with eachother to protect their assets?
Everybody playing together is always the most efficient / fun.

>What's the appeal exactly?
It's a sandbox.

What else is there?

Attached: 1654133569216.jpg (550x1016, 299.95K)

You really never say anything interesting. It's kinda sad. Do you even play video games?

I try to say as much as I need to; I can do anything.

Asking again.

The problem with modern MMOs is that they're designed to minimize friction between players.
That's entirely wrong. The point of having a shared world is to force players to share resources.
Because of carebears, anything that could be considered griefing was removed from MMO design, effectively turning them into single player RPGs with share hub world.

And that's a good thing!
Fucking sick of dealing with bots.

>carebears,
No I fucking hated dealing with free-market kikes and epic PvP gankers back in The Good Ol' Days. Piss off. I got to relive some of this schadenfreude with Elden Ring making PvP pretty much optional lately, delicious delicious ganker tears.

>Chopping down a small forest is fun
I hate deforestation in games. irl too. I want to live in the comfy woods forever.

Sally whitemane from world of warcraft.
She's known as the leader of the scarlet crusade, until recently when in legion she was part of the death knights class order hall questline. In this she was brought back to unlife as one of the 4 horsemen.

And here they come, the carebears.
Unable to adapt.
Unable to prepare.
Unable to deal with frustration.
Unable to deal with adversity.

Jumping from one game to the next, demanding them to be changed to cater to their tastes. And once the game is ruined, move to the next. Like a locust.

Attached: harder.jpg (450x245, 24.46K)

When I was young, I liked interacting with other human players, whether it was positive to group up and chat and share interests, or negative, to grief and kill each other. Now that I'm old, I don't fucking give a shit about any of that. I like the idea of playing an MMO because it creates that vague sense of living in a populated world, but I don't like having to do any microinteractions, with any actual people anymore--I have enough friends--so I prefer the modern "single-ish player" direction MMOs have taken.

Ooo, you big strong man, you're making those dumb babies SO mad. Kiss me.

This.
It's like wandering through a crowd.
It just a little less lonely.

I think New World went wrong in most of the ways it deviated from RS. It had a chance to be a real RS3 in a way, but it squandered that on making PvP half-baked and opt-out, as opposed to making areas where PvP was mandatory, having an economy that really didn't work, and having many treadmill quests as opposed to a smaller number of interesting/meaningful ones.

It seemed overtly afraid of being a sandbox, and did all it could to undermine that part of the game.

Do you have any fundamental problem with being ganked or are you just sick of badly designed pvp?

I just don't see the point of an MMO with those premises though; in that case have a co-op shared world game of some sort, a pseudo-MMO.

Although I will give you one thing, I dislike the degree to which grind creates an asymmetry of power in modern MMOs, which I think far exceeds old MMOs due to the level of power creep at end game.

The MMO playerbase is ageing I think, and game design needs to take into account that I want an interesting, systemic, player-driven experience, but not one that demands I play it like a second job - or rather, renders me underpowered to a degree of irrelevance if I don't. The 'git gud' factor should be greater than the 'grind gud' one.

>cranky old men living the cranky old men style
>but in MMOs
Supporting my theory that the problem with modern MMO design was caused entirely by the people who play these games.

And because of this, I can only fulfil my need for huge epic battles with large stakes on old MMOs

Attached: 1403142438745.jpg (800x720, 89.5K)

>Supporting my theory that the problem with modern MMO design was caused entirely by the people who play these games.
>my personal needs are more important than the the 99% of the player base that enjoys the games they're playing
>no you see it's all your fault i can't get what only i want

this post unironically

Both, gankers are faggots who mainly play the game to gank and MMO PvP in general sucks whistle.