Anyone else think this actually looks promising?

Anyone else think this actually looks promising?
>worlds filled with many different traversal methods
>looks to be a variety of collectables and incentives to explore
>cyberspace levels still haven't been shown off (call this a cope but points remain regardless)

Every criticism has been
>THE SKY RAILS ARE SO UGLY WTF
it's a 3D open world platformer, get over it retard
>No momentum
game isn't really designed around it, it has boost philosophy at its core, you're clearly meant to look for rails/rings etc to stay at your fastest.
>Realistic graphics are shit!!
This literally goes back to people just shitting on easy unreal engine demos because they arbitrarily think cartoon characters can't work in a 3D environment. Game looks largely fine.
>pop in
I'll admit the pop in is ass but that's something that could easily be fixed by launch. If not i'll concede my point on graphics.
>shit movement/empty world
this can basically be summed up by the IGN guy being retarded, either avoiding everything or deciding to walk?
>simple/basic puzzles
Mario Odyssey had basically the same shit and was praised
>combat looks bland
ehh maybe, i'll have to wait and see

Maybe this is all a cope but I think the game actually looks pretty fun to play?

Attached: sonic-frontiers-gameplay-teaser-580x334.jpg (580x334, 31K)

I've seen other people comment it on the rails with the same opinion I have - which is that it's kind of refreshing to see non-sensical level design elements in games again. If more games focused on making fun environments to play in over having it "make sense," I think games would be a lot more fun today.

Unfortunately, from what I've seen, they don't seem to be making the environments that fun to play in though. It's Sonic, they should be going all in on surreal environments. I don't know why they think it needs to be a big empty open field like Breath of the Wild.

Attached: botw.jpg (800x900, 251.75K)

The constant rails and dash panels ruin any fun that could be had.
Let the player play the game.

>a bunch of automated rails suspended in the air
>fun

You didn't read the latter half of my post dumbass-kun. My whole point is that it could be fun, but they didn't commit to the surrealistic level design.

The momentum physics were my biggest concerns about the gameplay, It would have been nice if you could pick up momentum on hills or maintain it for a while after a boost. Other than that it just needs more polishing in my opinion.

Attached: 1654110624973.webm (350x252, 1.43M)

you forget that this is a mainline sonic game made my sega.

>Anyone else think this actually looks promising?
No.

I just want more stuff in the game world, bros. It looked kind of sparce in the video, but the guy playing was also a fucking moron who would sometimes go out of his way to avoid set pieces near him in favor of running straight ahead.

What we have been shown goes perfectly hand in hand with a leak that was posted some months ago. That being the open world is big dookie butter but there are "missions" where you enter Sonic Unleashed style levels which are so much better than the open world it feels like a different game completely.
The "open world" we've been shown isn't the actual game loop experience, it's just a big fuck-off level select hub with upgrades and puzzles scattered about to hide this.

I don’t hate what I saw but I don’t love it either. This was the first time they are showing off the game to the world and it still looks like it’s in an early build. It was underwhelming. I still got some hope for this game but my initial hype took a hit.

It’s like why is Sonic Team so incompetent? Sonic just got back in the good graces with the public especially with Sonic movie 2 being really good and then they give this half ass gameplay video with literal pop ins. Do they not know first impressions mean everything? What the fuck

Attached: 3EF6AEC5-B93F-4229-B38E-32298A2499B7.jpg (717x770, 24.35K)

Forces, Lost world. etc seemed way worse in trailers though. The biggest issues here thus far are only visual

It looks pretty shit in the gameplay, shill
just a bunch of grass and in fact after the guy playing opens a gate it loops back to where he was at the start. so I guess the leaker was right this is just a not so big hub world that requires you to solve puzzles to get into the boost stages

Attached: 3D_OPEN_WORLD.jpg (1364x567, 163.23K)

If the cyberspace levels end up not being a thing, it's gonna be complete dogshit

I'm not as pessimistic about it as everyone else seems to be, but I also have no idea what to make of what has been shown so far. All the gameplay shown has been minor activities like fighting fodder enemies and solving piss easy overworld puzzles to get collectables. That's usually nothing in the grand scheme of an entire game, but we literally know nothing else about the rest of the game aside from some old leaks and rumblings from industry insiders. If that is all just filler, then what the actual fuck is the point of this game gonna be? Are the open world puzzles a way to timegate the cyberspace levels? Does the open world have actual level design or is it just a big open field with ubisoft towers? Are we stuck on this one island for the whole game or are we gonna visit the areas in the background? Do the puzzles get better? Who knows. The handful of trustworthy information out there seems to be contradictory.

Attached: EBQuaaIVUAANoq0.jpg (2048x1137, 187.64K)

Nah it looks pretty terrible. Aesthetic is god awful and not sonic at all, complete lack of momentum, level design looks ass

Sonic is supposed to cool and colorful and the basic movement itself should be fun. Frontiers looks like it misses literally every mark

Attached: maxresdefault (6).jpg (1280x720, 116.62K)

I would have vastly preferred a story trailer to what was shown, looked more like a proof of concept than anything you would call 'artistic expression'. Seems to me that the devs weren't ready for a reveal, but the suits were. Sega never fucking learns.

It just looks basic as fuck so far. It seriously needs more than just literally being railroaded to the next part. So far all this video showed was that Sonic can move and jump. Hope the soundtrack isn't BotW either.

What innovation justifies this game? What's new here? Where's the style? Where's the music?

Attached: 5649958456.png (479x265, 236.39K)

Both of those games are dogshit

Sonic Team is basically stuck in an abusive relationship with Nintendo, that's the core issue all of their games have had for the past 20 years.

Ever since Sega bowed out of the console race, the audience for platformers has largely gravitated toward Nintendo platforms. No matter the actual quality of the version released on Nintendo platforms, Sonic always sells best on there.

The problem arises because Sonic Team and Nintendo have very different ambitions and development philosophies since the Wii. Sonic Team used to want to push their graphics and presentation to be high-budget and AAA. They could not do this on the Wii. However, they could not just ignore where the plurality of their audience buys Sonic games. Sonic 06 thus was crippled by having to perform on PS360 along with the Wii. Same goes for Generations and Unleashed, etc.

Eventually, after underperforming saleswise, Sonic Team is no longer granted AAA budgets anymore, but they still have the pretensions of trying to present themselves as graphically superior games. If Frontiers would go all in on either being optimized for the Switch or abandoning the Switch altogether in favor of PC and PS5/XBox, I think it would be a lot better. But instead they take half measures of trying to have it both ways. This leaves Sonic games stuck in a limbo where they are super janky on Switch and simultaneously being held back from utilizing the full power of next-gen.

It's a catch-22, Nintendo fans are the ones most likely to actually support and buy Sonic games, but the devs want the core gamer crowd, but they know that audience won't buy into Sonic games en masse to make up for the loss of Switch buyers if they skipped the Switch.

>Sonic of the wild
Wow.

Looks decent at the very least. People just always want to shit on Sonic at any opportunity.

>Looks decent at the very least
lol

Neither 06 nor Generations released on the Wii. Plus Unleashed was a separate unrelated game on Wii developed by Dimps. Can't blame Nintendo for everything.

or, you know, maybe they could just make a good fucking game

Could ask the same questions about BOTW. A game only praised because it's Zelda and Nintendo.

Most open world games you move slow and have floaty movement. This is a step up by at least letting you go fast.

>make an open world
>except it still has boost "physics" thus making the whole open world part irrelevant since you'll only have actual gameplay at designated sections
captcha: 20STD

I have been complaining about it all day but I don't think it looks like total garbage. I think it's clear Sonic Team needs to bring in real talent to make the next game, but this one can still be salvaged for a 7/10 game I think. I don't think a massive delay would actually help unless it involved scrapping the whole damn game, in which case they really might as well finish this and just commit to starting from the ground up next time.

>game simply needs polish. and it's still in development
>nooooooo! scrap it. this is shit! *autism*

BOTW had innovations for the Zelda franchise. Everything we've seen from frontiers so far has been reused assets and animations from past games in a big empty world that really doesn't match the aforementioned assets. This cannot have taken 5 whole years.

This is some bizzare fucking cope. The Switch being an underpowered system has nothing to do with Sonic Teams inability to make a good game.

BOTW's chilled out music supports the idea of you taking as long as you want. Sonic having chilled out minimalist music flies in the face of the fact the only time chilled out music should ever play with Sonic on-screen is when he's sleeping.

BotW has fun movement and exploration, which this game seems to be lacking unfortunately.

Make of the things that suck about the game are integral game design that can't be polished away. World map design is a huge page of open world games, they can't change their level design philosophy and fix it without basically having to start over. Any changes to the physics also have to take into account the design of all the challenges, so changing things to rely more on momentum and less on scripting might break things in too many places.
If you really want this to be a good game you're out of luck, but there an okay game in there somewhere. Hide the rails in the sky until you are close to them, fix the pop-in, improve the damn Tornado Jump animation, things like that could take this average modern Sonic quality.

>it's a 3D open world platformer, get over it retard
You presented no real argument to why isn't it ugly.
>game isn't really designed around it, it has boost philosophy at its core, you're clearly meant to look for rails/rings etc to stay at your fastest.
Its an open world game. The boost formula was designed for linear levels ever since Unleashed. It does and would not fit here.
>I'll admit the pop in is ass but that's something that could easily be fixed by launch. If not i'll concede my point on graphics.
The game is coming out in a few months and they need to make it run on Switch. They have very little time to patch everything. Let's not count the other visual fuck ups they should fix, like Sonic's walk animation not slowing down depending on his walk speed.
>this can basically be summed up by the IGN guy being retarded, either avoiding everything or deciding to walk?
You completely miss the point, from Colors all the way until Forces the level designs were bombastic and colorful. I'll admit the part he runs around a river looks stunning but nothing else is. Just feels like wasted potential.
>Mario Odyssey had basically the same shit and was praised
No one praised Odyssey for its puzzles. You're creating a strawman argument to excuse the game's issues.
>ehh maybe, i'll have to wait and see
Combat has never been a focus of Sonic games (don't you dare to bring up Sonic Battle), I doubt anyone is looking forward to combat of all things.

The massive loss of speed while jumping is really going to hurt the game's flow (unless they just build the world around not jumping, which itself is a massive red flag), I can tell you that for sure.

so we're back to halo infinite reveal copes.