Remember when you couldn't instantly look at reviews to determine a game is worth trying or not?

Remember when you couldn't instantly look at reviews to determine a game is worth trying or not?

Remember when you had to take a shot at the game due to a cool cover or word of mouth?

Remember when you only had a few days to finish a game before you had to return it?

Remember when you had no memory card to save and you would have to start the game over every time?

Remember when there was no leaks and dataminings and everything was a surprise?

:(

Attached: Blockbuster-video-store.jpg (1000x723, 688.82K)

diE

That picture was during the death of Blockbuster.
If you don't remember the 1980s and early 90s then you missed out on the era you are describing.

Attached: 1991 Playing my Sega Gamegear.jpg (604x621, 108.76K)

>when all the first party Nintendo games were gone on the shelf and this was the only option

Attached: 1629840645178.png (800x549, 766.12K)

>tfw everything is terrible forever and only gets worse

Good shit user.

90s to early 2000s were like that as well. I would consider mid to late aughts the decline of that sort of thing.

Yes, it was awful. Nothing tanked your weekend like renting a turd.

Remember when you were young?
You shone like the Sun.

>reviews
They have never mattered
>cool cover
At least we had cool covers, now is rare to get a got a cover
>word of mouth
Unless you were friend with retards, this used to be a great way to know when a game was worth it
>Time limits
We have gamepass now
>No memory card
Non-issue unless you liked RPGs
>No leaks or datamining
This is not bad, the issue are retards taking that to the extreme or youtubers monetizing leaks in general

he will insist that the 80s-90s are superior simply because the shelves were filled with the shit he grew up with and is incapable of realizing it was the exact same experience (a mediocre one, with alot of caveats that nobody likes to mention) up until the death of the company

Wrong.
What he is describing is before the internet took off.
By the late 1990s you could look up reviews for most stuff.
And by the 2000s you could easily pirate movies and shows.

Attached: 1980s me and mom in the kitchen.jpg (607x618, 84.42K)

except kids (you know, the thing we were when we went to blockbuster) did not go out of their way to look up game reviews or pirate movies and shows, or anything at all for that matter
we were dumbshit kids, it being the 90s or 2000s doesn't magically mature us out of being a stupid ass kid who just liked how the cover of the game looked

I was looking up reviews and printing out cheats from sites like super cheats in the late 1990s.

Kids also looked this stuff up in the computer lab at school.
By the late 1990s most schools had a computer lab connected to the internet.

Even elementary school kids knew how to do this.
You've never lived during that time if you are trying to claim something different.

Attached: Grandfather and me.jpg (598x612, 93.25K)

yeah no sorry, not everyone did that in computer lab and by the early 2000's they had locked down networks that wouldn't let you view content like that anyways if it had keywords like 'game' in it
you weren't in the early 2000's, you keep making it clear you were there in the 80's, so how can I expect you to know jack shit about being a kid in 2002
i had internet by 2002 and even then I wasn't looking at game reviews, I was on newgrounds waiting for animations to buffer, not everyone had your SPECIFIC autism as it turns out, none of my friends did that either, we walked in and picked the most badass/vibrant game covers most of the time unless we specifically knew what we wanted, and even then it was commercials doing the lifting, not game reviews

Everything is still the same, it's just faster, almost instantaneous.

I don't miss it.

Oh fuck I've played that game it's actually not that bad.

I thought I missed it for awhile, but then I realized I just like junk food.

I have friend's who had little brothers that were kids in the early 2000s so I know what they had to deal with.

The late 90s and early 2000s dot com boom exposed most people of all ages to the internet for cheap.

The only kids who were without internet and a PC at home or school in the early 2000s were super poor 3rd world or lived in the middle of no where out in the country.
Also most kids had a video game magazine subscription.

Attached: anything else.jpg (828x826, 93.36K)

Zoomer's never heard of magazines or tv shows.