How did FFXIV manage to break the mold on villains so well?

how did FFXIV manage to break the mold on villains so well?

Name a villain better than Emet-kino

Attached: 1653884135510.jpg (1024x576, 115.69K)

I love Emet, but missunderstood villians aren't a new thing. Fuck there's even been a few in FF alone

I guess it was the writers and the voice actors and the cutscene animators

Fuck you, the fujo was a mistake
EW story is fucking trash

Attached: 1653893258034.jpg (426x426, 157.65K)

Cute fujo buglady

Yikes cringe post fr fr

Does he count as misunderstood? He literally joins the party just to lay out everything for you as plain as day.

I'm more excited about the story going forward honestly. Tons of new shit lined up and don't have a bunch of old baggage to deal with.

He is originally. You see him as the biggest baddest ascian who has been controlling everything that has fucked you over as well as being the man who created the Empire. Then you find out his motives and all the fangirls swooned

Not even the best villain in his own game.

Attached: 1626914211403.png (1920x1080, 1.66M)

Attached: 38d8c457c7b0a593e8f27353784604fe.jpg (284x292, 24.18K)

I loved his introduction. Just when I thought the random head fuckery during the states gathering wasn't WTF enough, this guy comes up and makes me laugh.

>look i'm subverting expectations, I won't fight you because i'd die lol
>actually jk i will suicide at you lol

He was fucking terrible. Even Zenos was better. Emet is so poorly written and his decisions are fucking gamey, because the retarded fujo has no idea how to conclude a story without just going 'i turn into an eldritch abomination'. She's a hack.

Attached: 1646358075958.png (273x185, 11.48K)

> Knows how to course correct after shit goes a way he didn't expect
> uses the warrior of lights ability to fuck shit up without equal against them
> Even when he's absolutely sure he can fix shit he treats the warrior of light with respect and still understands a duel with you was a 50/50 shot.
> literally the only person he underestimated was graha and that's because he's been a mostly defensive little shit for a whole century before you came along
Unironically the smartest villain you could have on your team and still had fun being an asshole. you really can't get better than that.

Sorry, I posted the wrong image.

Attached: You Will Die.jpg (1920x1080, 157.3K)

Any mod that fixes the shitty way the katana is straight by yourr side instead of being on an angle close to your stomach like how it is irl?

Attached: file.png (1245x700, 1.59M)

Does that thing on their foreheads hurt if you poke it?

japs who made the game don't give a shit about it so why would you?

What do you think happens to the katana whenever it's user is not holding the hilt?

>motivation is "I want to kill you, everyone you love, and everyone in the world so that a dark god can revive my master race of long-dead superhumans"
>the game actually is well-written enough that he unironically makes sense, has a lot of moral arguments in his favor, and is completely understandable about it

Attached: jiggly billy.png (900x702, 310.98K)

Emet is not a villain, we were the villains in the story

No, it doesn't. If it was, you'd have said why.
The entire plotline is basically just te WoL going 'we people too retard'

The game never even hints or suggest at how Emet might be justified in any way, shape or form. He's just seething and wants his friends back. That's not good writing or interesting. It's a dude literally wanting to wipe a planet because he's lonely. It's shit.

>okay yeah sure, I know he's cruel and has killed millions
>but
Why are they like this, bros?

Attached: typical woman.webm (1200x672, 2.82M)

>implying Any Forums isn't exactly the same about female villains

you're not supposed to sheathe a sword by stabbing yourself in the stomach

because zenos is unironically a turbochad

Why are women like this?

>women
>but he's hot

>men
>but he's based

this
>live in literal paradise
>end of the world apocolypse hits you out of nowhere
>half of your people willingly sacrifice themselves to save the other half
>half of the remainder of your people sacrifice themselves again to fix the broken world
>suddenly you're betrayed and everything gets split into 13 pieces, sparing only yourself and 2 others
>see broken abominations of your former people crawling around in the dirt for thousands of years
>they eventually develop language, culture, and start killing each other left and right
>have to live among them, look like them, father other abominations for centuries
>still somehow stay true to your mission and never forsake your people
it's a wonder he didn't end up a deranged psychopath after all that time

Attached: 1633767827187.jpg (908x763, 407.88K)

Nah, Emet was evil for trying to kill everyone he did.
>Okay but he didn't think of them as people!
That was his flaw.

>villain
arguable, as he was considered a hero among eorzeans...even before his defections

I respect zenos' power. That doesn't mean I like him.

Maybe the reality isn't that the villain is particularly well written, but the protagonists are just so uninteresting you immediately leap to the side of anyone that opposes them and isn't cartoonishly evil.

Attached: 1624395266235.jpg (976x850, 87.83K)

What do you think was gonna happen anyway if the rejoining happened
These "people" mean nothing to him because they were never supposed to exist in the first place

I understand them completely.

Attached: 1624953800318.png (700x994, 452.5K)

check mate FF fags

Attached: 1589175233253.png (704x504, 457.29K)

That's because that's not how Emet presented it. Notice how in Amaurot he constantly uses the collective nouns. Our people, not my people. And he didn't want to kill you at first, his preferred plan involved you staying alive. Its more like
>"I want to destroy you and your world so that you can be reincarnated as a perfect being. I'm not doing this for me, I'm doing this for US. To bring back OUR people, OUR loved ones. The world belongs to US and US alone.
The way he presents the problem, and the way that the game relays this information to you without being outright specific at first is brilliant. The moment the chorus of Shadowbringers kicks in during your final confrontation and you hear
>Home, riding home
>dying hope
>hold, onto hope
And you realize that the chorus isn't sung by the scions, but the entire dead race that Emet is trying to revive, and that those voices are your loved ones too even if you don't remember them gave me legit shivers. You're one of the people he wants to save, the people that you are condemning to death are your people, your loved ones, just as much as they are Emet's. In the final battle, you're the Jet Black Villains of the story.

nah

>it's a wonder he didn't end up a deranged psychopath after all that time
Yeah ha ha can you imagine if he went crazy and like wanted to kill everyone in multiple worlds just to revive a dark god ha ha good thing he's sane! I might still forgive him for that if he had a sad backstory though :3

Fucking faggot game full of retard faggots who swoon for a faggot just because he's fuckable. Worthless humans.

You guys get assblasted at biofems simping for Zenos but look how many Yotsuyu simps there are

"The villain just wants to bring back his loved ones, but to do so he has to kill everyone the protagonist cares about" is such a jrpg cliche its basically the top 3 along with "ancient evil that has awakened" and "power hungry dickhead"

here's a game from nearly 30 years ago on the fucking snes that had that as the plot

Attached: ed2c8a62-28fe-4a08-aa59-bdabac8ae357_jpg_75.jpg (2100x1534, 620.15K)

>Okay yeah sure, I know she's cruel and has killed millions
>but
Why are they like this, bros?

Attached: 1639539857390.jpg (900x1273, 824.28K)

Did Any Forums's dicksucking of the game completely drain out your passion for the game? I've honestly dropped the game after finishing EW because I'm fucking tired of all the retards praising the new direction while they rehash the exact same shit and just put literal seasonal anime tier garbage in there.

Attached: 4038100f221aec73823ae6e3a235fb1e.jpg (850x1330, 122.44K)

Only low-T retards, because any man with enough testosterone knows that what makes a male character cool will not exactly make a female character the same

The tragedy of Emet is that he did actually care about the sundered people. He saw them as children in need of guidance. Whenever he spent time around them, he came to care about them. That's what made it hit so hard when they died, or betrayed him.

KILL YOURSELF WOWBUCK
YOU FUCKING LOST

no

>dark god
Brainlet who is too stupid to understand the brilliant use of metaphysical light and dark in the story and thinks that dark literally means bad.

>letting Any Forums dictate your taste in videogames
good job you absolute fucking cretin

that retard tried to kill me and then had the audacity to pretend like we were friends
get fucked
Vae Victis

Why do you care about the Michael Waltrip of FF?

Zenos doesn't have a tragic backstory, he's just a psychopath

Extreme solo version when?

Attached: 1238213891238.jpg (307x171, 14.3K)

Fuck off

fffags are retards
unironically praising a dogshit story that's 90% filler fetch quests and canned emotes.
fuckers would eat a giant turd if someone told them a catgirl shat it out, and they'd say it was the best thing they'd ever ate

Dhaos was indeed based, no one says otherwise. Mithos was a shitty retread that had more backstory and thus was less likable.

Just because I would fuck her doesn't mean I excuse her actions.

>wanted to kill everyone in multiple worlds just to revive a dark god
yes, and then use said god to bring back his people, which would technically be rejoining all the people who "died" into their true complete selves

>that retard tried to kill me

Attached: 31543536.jpg (300x168, 8.64K)

It'll hit you one day. Enjoy your wasted time.
>Talk about a game
>Everyone is on the cult juice and covers their ear to any actual discussion about the game outside owowow my birdie bride and emetwenos im a stupid retard fujo
yeah it's tiring. it's not just Any Forums either. almost all of xiv community is pretty much this. i cannot handle raiding with you fucks no longer.

Because I can fix her.

>dogshit
Seething wowbuck detected.

Blow your brains out, you're a piece of shit

Yotsuyu simps are retarded niggerfaggots. Fordola, on the other hand, is precious and did nothing wrong.

Attached: Fordola.jpg (1920x1080, 271.06K)

>fuckable
For females maybe, the Emet we met at all times, was always this tired mature looking man, and while I do not care about females opinions on the matter I can understand why so many men like him as well

Zenos does have a sad backstory, it was just neglected in the MSQ

Nah, i fell for the 'it gets better 100 hours in!!!' bait and played through to the end of shadowbringers. After that, I couldn't stomach doing any side content or ever playing the game again with how braindead the raiding and combat was.
game is just awful to play, and the people praising the story never mention it's 1 or 2 moments out of a thousand shitty, boring ones.

I liked that mithos, like emet slech, literally says that he would do all the terrible things he did again if given another chance even if he does have a bit of a friendship he's built up with the hero and then dies forever

dhaos was always a more means justify the ends type that never even really gets the chance to have that moment of reflection

Wowtranny.. you lost.

did the Nier artist draw this?

the only villains in xiv are the people who play it, truly deranged and evil

absolute cum gurgler cherrypicking a word out and completely ignoring the actual argument
you fucktards unironically need helmets

You're right, the character archetype isn't new. In fact, Emet Selch himself is based off of previous Final Fantasy villains with the same motivations. Good ol' Jack Garland for one, and Garland from FFIX. Its not a coincidence that Emet is the leader of the Garlean Empire.

The difference is entirely in the execution and you're a massive brainlet if you're still in the childhood phase of pointing out story archetypes as if everything under the sun hasn't been done before. Emet is a better villain than Garland or Ardyn because he's better written, more sympathetic and is presented to you as a companion rather than adversary for the majority of the story.

That said, Dhaos is a great villain and did nothing wrong.

How come Zenos and Emet never interacted with each other or even said a word? There's a big pile of mystery bullshit going on between those two.

>has killed millions
he has maybe killed less than 100 people and it was in a war

Attached: 1652807783500.jpg (605x835, 115.38K)

Fordola's fat cock...