What does Any Forums think about digital becoming the main way people play games? Is it a good thing, bad thing...

What does Any Forums think about digital becoming the main way people play games? Is it a good thing, bad thing, or a bit of both?

Attached: 1629449618210.png (1273x792, 157.15K)

There's nothing wrong with it. We shouldn't throw tons of plastic into the environment and cut down forests so manchildren can physically "own" their digital toys

I don't think

perhaps that is for the best

Attached: 1654093761892.gif (480x404, 2.46M)

As long as libraries are persistent, I think it's fine
I still own the games I bought on Steam 18 years ago, despite the fact that I've changed PCs at least 5 times since then

On consoles it's kind of problematic, unless the libraries carry forward, and we're only starting to see that now (presumably). Without enduring libraries, I'd never buy digitally on a console

I plan on having an xbox for years. I get stuff very cheap on sales. Wasn't a Any Forums lurker when I got my game pass machine which has had its cons but I really like waking up and having games downloaded. Yes for controversial games physical is better so it can't be memoryholed, but I mostly play racing.
Obligatory globalism is wrong

Attached: OBrien_Rachel_Rhinoceros-5003.jpg (1000x665, 98.58K)

>uses a private jet to talk about climatic change
sure thing grandpa

I'm ok with it becoming niche most games aren't worth the space on the bookshelf these days.

Attached: 1653917378723.jpg (700x700, 52.5K)

>you're a hypocrite, ergo you're wrong

Attached: tekken-kazuya.gif (408x294, 2.22M)

Not to derail but rich liberals reeeing about global warming isn't just about being a hypocrite. It's about a planned shift in global hegemony from the US elsewhere. The most obvious point of global warming suspicion would be that the biggest abusers are not held to account, like China India or mega Corps. Why not make a huge push for biodegradable wrappers?

They don't care and would rather take a jet to a luxury conference. It's representative if you critically think

Now separate the digital sales into actual game sales and token buying for gatcha and lootershooters.

I don't care

>digital format sales include subscriptions, digital full games, digital add-on content, mobile apps and social network gaming
Gee no wonder the graph is so skewed.

The state of career politicians and grifters in US politics does not preclude a scientific consensus from being true. Yes, we should do a great many things, including hold the biggest offenders accountable. But you have to be an outright moron to deny anthropogenic climate change at this point. In all probability, we're already past the tipping point. Positive feedback loops will ensure our demise even with global carbon levels reduced to zero, barring some new technology that can actually remove it from the atmosphere

>the data is from 2009 to 2018 meaning things like game pass barely even count because game pass started in 2018
so its basically nothing ?

exactly
can't tell me i'm a bad person for wanting to own stuff when the shit you own is a million times worse

its bad anyone who says otherwise is a zoomer

>NOOOOOOOOOOO NOT THE FORESTINOSS!!!!!!!!! THE ENVIRONMENTINOOOOOO
not my problem
nature will destroy humanity and it won't happen while i'm alive anyways

>You're a hypocrite
yes
>ergo you're wrong
yes and no
Where does most of the world's pollution come from?
Who do the jet riding environmentalists target with their green laws and carbon taxes?
Why do they target who they target?
Find the answers to these 3 questions and you'll realize why everyone ITT thinks you're a retard.

It's a convenient thing. You can be playing a game in a matter of seconds. For 90% of players nothing else matters. Collectors have always been a minority even in physical media age, people just exchanged their used game for a new one once they're done playing or shelved it forever. Hell I still have my disks and cartridges from 25-30 years ago but nothing to run them on since I don't have a CD-ROM anymore and my Megadrive needs a TV cable I'd probably have to buy second hand. Same way I'd have to shell out at least $30 for a capture card to watch my old tape recordings from the early 90s because my old VHS has no digital interfaces (and I probably lost my mini-VHS to VGS adapters anyway) and my camera has died a long time ago.

Right now all of this is just garbage lying around collecting dust. Yes, I'd rather download a copy of Emperor: The Battle for Dune than install a CD-ROM in my PC and deal with 4 disks it needs to be played from if I want to have videos in my game.

As much as I miss the experience of physically buying a game and popping it into a system, it's become a moot point in recent years. Last gen and current gen for Sony and MS just always installed the game to the drive and used the disc as a physical verification key, so the only real benefit was the option to resell the game down the line once you tired of it. It doesn't get you into the game any faster than downloading it, and so many physical games have become so barebones in their presentation outside of collector's editions that it doesn't really seem useful or meaningful to purchase physically, especially with how online verification systems and current copyright law means that even buying a physical disc doesn't mean you own the game any more than if you purchased it digitally. As a slightly depressing example, last weekend I bought the PS5 from Gamestop during the in-store sale drop. One of the included games I was excited for was Ratchet and Clank. Brand new game, in wrap, with no manual, no thought given to presentation, and the reversible slipcover, usually guaranteed to be free of useless text and legalese has an ugly white box outlined in red reminding people to see the health and safety warnings and licensing information, a completely unnecessary addition given that those are spelled out in detail on the outside cover and denigrating the otherwise gorgeous reverse art.