Let's settle this once and for all Any Forums. Does the Mario Mandate actually exist?

Let's settle this once and for all Any Forums. Does the Mario Mandate actually exist?

Attached: mariomandate.jpg (1280x720, 157.03K)

It does but not to the extent Any Forums memes it to. For example, it's pretty obvious that there's a rule at Nintendo, whether official or unofficial, to not include Waluigi in mainline games and only use him for spinoffs. I don't think anyone can argue that.

What autism is this now?

Of course not, don't tell me you fall for every dumb meme you see reposted here?
I bet you think the grey cat actually dances.

Here's a quick rundown

Attached: mariomandate2.jpg (4732x3633, 2.38M)

fpbp

There are a set of licensing limitations in place, yes. To what degree isn't clear, but this is what I'd say it consists of. These strictly apply to third party studios who get a license by Nintendo, e.g., Intelligent Systems, Next Level Games, and Camelot. Nintendo EAD is much laxer with these rules, but I would still say they're bound to the same degree.
What ISN'T allowed:
>The individualization of species from or relating to the Mushroom Kingdom. A mook in a costume is fine, an individual with a history, a unique name, different proportions, etc. (the partners from Paper Mario being a chief example) aren't permitted.
>Some characters cannot appear outside of their respective subuniverses; Waluigi being trapped in spinoff hell is the most notable thing.
What IS allowed:
>Unique characters entirely distinct from the Mushroom Kingdom. The LM3 portrait ghosts and the new Paper Mario partners (Kersti, Huey, Olivia) are clearly allowed.
Some people adamantly refuse to admit that there are restrictions in place and that the stale, devoid-of-personality state of Mario spinoffs is an intentional design decision and not developers hitting their head constantly on huge creative binds. It's undeniably clear to me that games such as modern Paper Mario are utterly devoid of the charm and character the original games have, and that creativity suddenly disappearing because the belief that "they wanted it to be simpler and more consistent with the Mario universe" seems misguided.

I wouldnt be surprised if Nintendo put their primary franchise on a tighter leash, especially in the DS/Wii era where Nintendo just exploded in popularity compared to Cube/GBA.

I dont think it explains everything the way mandatefags claim though, Paper Mario for example being trash since SPM is not the fault of some on-high mandate.

Next Level Games and Intelligent Systems are not third party, they are 100% owned by Nintendo, as much a first party as EAD.

>quick

Attached: 1621885937626.jpg (1080x1037, 165.2K)

If by "mandate" you mean their guidelines for how their IP is handled, then yes, there is a Mario mandate, and in fact, a mandater for nearly every piece of intellectual property, because otherwise there would be no point to the concept of intellectual property.

Now, if you want to argue on the concept of intellectual property as a whole, that's another story.

There's no mandate. Tanabe was just covering his ass.
Like when he said they didn't look at a single review of Sticker Star before starting Color Splash. Or when he said Color Splash was a unique genre of game despite still having turn-based combat. Or how Origami King avoided saying it had any RPG-esque mechanics in all supplementary/marketing material.

Attached: bowser.png (640x368, 332.6K)

NSMB U Deluxe may be unironically the most soulless game I’ve ever played

>to not include Waluigi in mainline games and only use him for spinoffs
now if we could just get a "why" that didn't amount to "because i said so"

Sure, but they're not a part of the core mainline Mario team and likely subject to more careful supervisor scrutiny than EAD is.

Paper Mario just fucking sucks because the people who make it are retarded not because of some stupid mandate. Just accept it.

Attached: SMO_Ruined_Dragon_Preparing_Attack.png (988x600, 869.13K)

Waluigi was ALWAYS spin-off sports game roster filler.

Basically this. I think it’s also clear that it varies from developer to developer and sometimes from game to game. Not every game is gonna be slapped with a strict mandate, some are looser than others.
For instance, the new mario strikers. Nintendo allowed the devs to make up a new robot character, keep the stylized artwork and animations of the game BUT at the cost of limiting roster size and cutting once unique characters like Kremlings. It’s not all black and white.

so what, he isn’t allowed to become more? He’s clearly become a fan favorite and at this point it’s just Japanese autism holding him hostage

Because Waluigi is a character created to fill the spot for another humanoid in Spin Off games, and nothing more.

>BUT at the cost of limiting roster size
>10 more characters and possibly more datamined

No

He’s an internet meme who became an internet meme for being such a shitty character. Nintendo is making the wise decision by keeping him as filler. If they want “Bad Mario” they can just use Wario.

Did you seriously forget Waluigi was LITERALLY only created so Wario would have a doubles partner? Daisy already existed thanks to Super Mario Land.

Because Nintendo didn't create Waluigi, Camelot did.

Waluigi is cool. Mario is a dork little dweeby faggot

I dont know if Nintendo is sitting there saying you can make a robot if you keep the character roster small. The game will almost certainly have DLC because that is how Nintendo does it these days, annoyingly.

Hi Shaq

user, they didn't "limit" the game because of a fucking robot.
Take a good look at the animations, and not just the cutscene ones. Boom Boom has fucking 300 animations, which is more than like a dozen Mario Golf characters

>that didn't amount to "because i said so"
Implying there is a mario mandate is literally "because I said so"

Oh look some autist updated the graphic because Super Mario Odyssey debunks his retarded theory.

>Futbot resulted in DLC
I want you to sit back and think about how retarded that sounds.

IS should continue to use the Mario cast instead of relying on pointless OCs. The use of Luigi,Bowser, Kamek, Jr and Bob omb in TOK are way more interesting than characters that don't really exist in the Mario universe. IS needs to double down on this and not go for shitty designed characters like Koops, who looks like he was designed for faggots. They should continue to dress up the species and have them match their locations instead. If one has to be a partner, just loophole it like Bobby by giving him a nickname. Mario designs are strong enough to carry a character. just put them into simple costumes and give the important ones a title like Chef Toad or Professor Toad. Simple

Attached: Chodelist.png (537x711, 612.02K)

see, as bullshit of an answer as this is, it's the most likely. fucking miyamoto and his jealousy

Attached: 1636516069407.png (640x480, 359.77K)

>everything you need to know about my mental illness

>MIYAMOTO
he isn't even involved with most of this shit
paper mario fags are hilariously obsessed with the wrong nip while the one actually in charge continues to shit the bed