Open world games

What is it about this genre that makes normies absolutely lose their shit and throw money hand over fist for them?

Elder Scrolls. Zelda. Elden Ring. Pokemon Arceus. All these came from established franchises with tons of entries, but the ones that went open world fucking explode in popularity. (With the one outlier being Arceus, but you get my point)

What is it about open world? Why is it the secret sauce for normalfags to get invested into a series?

Attached: 23b6a7c0-skyrim-best-open-world-games.jpg (1920x1080, 604.83K)

Same as the Mona Lisa, it’s popular for being popular

FACT; The only good open world games are the series that started as such

Attached: saintsRow2.jpg (1920x1080, 488.3K)

The real life algorythm just decides to strike at random sometimes.

>Why do they cater to normal people?
I counter Why would they cater to abnormal people?

Gen 1 is their best selling Pokemon games just to let you know.

Open-world being a buzzword that normalfags treat as a synonym for "fun" (partially because it's the most suitable for randomly fucking around) is an important factor, but timing was even more crucial in these cases. And of course enormous amount of manufactured hype but that comes with the territory nowadays.

the illusion of an entire world gets people excited, but many of those same people can't see that there's not much to do besides walk aimlessly and kill things once you're done with the main story

>Dude its like so EPIC with how you can go anywhere and all the biomes feel the same! I love fighting hordes of copy+pasted enemy encampments and exploring the same prefab tombs/shrines/caves that all have the same atmosphere. Its like so immersive how you can go to a bustling metropolis and interact with all of its twenty-one citizens who seem completely oblivious to the world around them and think its impressive how you came "far from the north" when the fucking map can be traversed in less than 10 minutes

Its all so tiresome

Its gotten to the point publishers just throw IPs that have no place being open world into the fucking grinder. Dark Souls? Final Fantasy? Pokemon? Fucking Sonic the hedgehog?

Attached: fuck.jpg (770x962, 90.31K)

>Elder Scrolls. Zelda. Elden Ring. Pokemon Arceus. All these came from established franchises with tons of entries, but the ones that went open world fucking explode in popularity.
uh,Elder Scrolls was always an open world RPG series

every souls game is open world

Real answer:
The only game that normalfags play aside from sports games like Fifa or popular shooters like CoD is GTA. GTA is an open world game where you can basically fuck around doing whatever and so normalfags think this aspect is uber-important when it really isn't.

Attached: 1645819364152.png (362x520, 209.53K)

Read the OP again, he mentions Arceus being the outlier

And even then, it sold 12 million copies

Rookie numbers for Pokemon ofc, but absolutely impressive numbers most publishers would kill for

> REEEEEE stop enjoying things I don't.
Sucks to be you.

is that why everyone was throwing cake at the mona lisa last week?

Who the fuck elected you Grand Overseer of Fun?
Stay salty old man.

Souls is a weird case of open world to me, it feels more like a hub world with tons of 'linear' routes to take and hidden passages that give you enough agency and side content for it to feel like an open world title
I wouldn't know how to describe it, it's not quite open world but calling it a linear-hub-world isn't as catchy
I'm no industry expert so there's probably an actual term for what the souls games are using

Attached: edboyz.jpg (179x179, 9.43K)

His post is very confusing considering Elder Scrolls has always been open world and Zelda has always had a very open design in most of its games. Even if it wasn't technically open world it was as close as you can get to being so. Elden Ring is a new franchise entirely even if its basically yet another Souls game.

I don't get OP's point at all.

No. None of them are. Ability to choose what order to tackle a bunch of linear tightly designed levels (with a few occasional skips) isn't remotely the same as the cancer of modern open world where -Optimistically- 70% of the game is pure copy+pasted filler hewn across a map with the occasional outpost dictating interesting and unique content.

Might as well call Mega Man games fucking open world games since they allow you to choose what order to play the levels.

Attached: interesting.jpg (500x588, 130K)

They technically are. Especially in the first dark souls. It's not what you would consider a traditional open world, but they still are.

I HATE OPEN WORLD GAMES. They ruined PSO for me