Hollow Knight

Is this game's success deserved? I fail to see what made this game an acclaimed masterpiece.

Attached: blowplayshollowknight.png (1873x975, 1.75M)

i found it incredibly boring and i dropped it after a couple of hours. too much backtracking.

Huge map, multiple progression routes, 30+ fantastic bosses, engaging combat, varied play styles via the talismans.

There's almost no backtracking, all main areas have shortcuts, or the stag stations that act as teleporters.

Play it for yourself and form your own opinion.
People can tell you it's great all day long, but if you don't believe them then why even ask?

>huge map
sure
>multiple progression routes
fair enough
>30+ fantastic bosses
most of those bosses are just barebones and not even fun to fight against since they are barely animated and their lack of varied movesets were compensated with projectiles and aeo spells.
>engaging combat
it really is just okay at best not really engaging or great.
>varied play styles
fair enough charm system was the coolest thing this game came up with

>There's almost no backtracking
okay I love hollow knight but the backtracking is the worst thing about the game. but you don't really feel it until late game and you're trying to find optional content you missed or want to get strong enough to beat the game

You're not being honest.

It's a fun game with an incredibly comfy atmosphere, great artstyle and music and a huge amount of content. It helps that it's also cheap and devs put out huge content updates for free.
I really don't understand what is it about this indie game that makes Any Forums create constant seething threads about it 5 years after release. Whether or not you're the person that keeps making them or not.

Many people look great wonders and cannot grasp it's importance or significance. Ignorance breeds lack of self awareness to their own ignorance.

I had a stroke trying to read this.

it really just boils down to it's popular so it's bad. nobody ever justifies their hatred for the game. at most someone says "reddit knight" and says there are better alternatives

By the mid to endgame you can breeze through areas with double jump, wall hang and dash.
That way areas that take 5 min to traverse with starting abilities takes 1 min.

Sure, getting 100% exploration involves backtracking and searching a lot, but that's true for all metroidvanuas as its an optional challenge.

>I really don't understand what is it about this indie game that makes Any Forums create constant seething threads

Terminal contrarianism.
Also the fact that this game completely blew away any Metroid and Any Forums is a tendie cope board.

people will say it's casual but games with this amount of late game optional content need a system like what bug fables has where you can buy information about stuff you're missing when you're close to beating the main story. hollow knight genuinely requires a guide to 100 percent it unless you want to spend dozens of hours randomly looking around the map

> that rectangular blocks even in green path
Yep, it's garbage.

worst thing about the game is that it never tells you when there is something new to buy or talk about in the top shop. a sign would be nice

It's the best metroidvania you can get atm, cheap as fuck, only the first 2-3 hours can be a bit disengaging but once you get to the mantis it's non stop fun

No.

It’s cheap and zoomers don’t know any better.

Because there's no better metroidvania.

Why couldn't you post a picture without that bald cunt in the corner?

>It's a fun game with an incredibly comfy atmosphere, great artstyle and music and a huge amount of content.
I liked it in spite of the atmosphere (which I found dull and samey), art style and music.

Everything looks the same. It's worth a try if you've already played Metroid

theres an absolute fuck ton of backtracking trying to find the next areas to explore

Play more than 1 metroidvania.

i spent the last week or so on it. my initial impression held up: good, not great. bosses are all over the place, some bosses feel good to fight like soul master and then others like the one where the mexican helps you by breaking its shield or the crawling jumping arachnid thing (the one that's reused in arena 3) just feel sloppy.

exploration does eventually feel ok but even with all the moves traversing the map never quite feels fast enough. this is with the move and dash charms equipped. it does the job, but it's not quite there, or maybe it is but i'd rather have something where i can just hold a button down or have it activate after running for a set period of time. having to either stop completely for the crystal thing (and have it probably be interrupted unsatisfyingly) or mash dashing constantly is fatiguing

>their lack of varied movesets were compensated with projectiles and aeo spells.
What? How are those not part of a moveset?
What? Every area is literally colour coded, not to mention most areas have unique enemies. "Everything looks the same" applies to Metroid much moreso than Hollow Knight.

There backtracking is definitely a problem in HK; I genuinely can’t imagine how much backtracking you do in the first couple of hours. The start of the game is pretty linear; you start at the Forgotten Crossroads, then Greenpath, then Fungal Waste, then Mantis Village, then the game opens up by giving you the choice between Deepnest or City of Tears. But there should be no backtracking needed at the start

NOOOOO NOT A GEOMETRIC SHAPE AHHHHHH I'M GOING INSANE SAVE ME NIGGERMAN

I think it's only at endgame where backtracking becomes a problem, especially because there's no way to really find those last mask shards you're missing except to comb through the entirety of the huge map to find what you missed or by looking at a wiki

Where/how do you fight the mantis sisters? I beat the game by getting into deepnest throught the hidden wall + trap floor next to the moss prophet so I never needed to go into deepnest the "normal way". I looked around the mantis village when I went throught to get the wall jump but I never found the boss there