Artifact

Was it actually bad compared to other games in its genre, or were people just disappointed that it was Valve releasing a game like this?

Attached: capsule_616x353 (1).jpg (616x353, 51.27K)

It had some cool ideas but it died due to the abysmal monetization model.

>basic TCG monetization is abysmal
unironically yes, you can't make it work anymore

is right, bought it when it came out, had fun until I realized that I have to shill out dosh for cards.
have to admit I did enjoy all the little tidbits of worldbuilding and fulff on the cards. the tripleboard was also neat imo

Where is the artifact fag

It was bad. Even if you ignore the monetization problems it had, the core game just sucked. Games were long and boring as fuck without much option for interesting decks or strategies (didn't the game only have like 200 cards total or something dumb?).

they thought it would be a good idea to make you have to buy in, and they did a horrible job of explaining it
if they released it with the draft and free play modes free to play it might not have died, but it was also incredibly stressful to play since each game was ridiculously close and the whole time was spent reacting to the enemy and the random directions of the arrows that might completely fuck you over and force you to change your strategy on a dime
I don't know if the reboot version that was also abandoned immediately had the same problem, but it also made the whole game less interesting and I didn't launch it more than twice

Attached: 1641956463608.jpg (3840x2160, 1.98M)

Yes and no.

It's concept was well thought out, but how it was pulled off was poor. It wasn't even bad in the sense that you can point to any single part of the game (Other than randomized shops) and say, "This is bad," it's just the entire structure was flawed and failed to actually be an interesting, fun game.

One of the problems was the one-sided nature of how any given turn would play out. By the game's design, one player would usually wind up monopolizing the actions of a given turn. This would result in the other player just sitting there and being a punching bag until the draw phase came about again, which wasn't fun in the slightest. In this same situation in other games, it usually resulted in a quick loss, so the situation was avoided by the game ending, but in Artifact, you chipped away at the enemy tower/ancient until your opponent could mount a defense or you finished him off. This also occurred because a lot of times, you'd want to wait and build up your hand to blow a lot of cards at once and sweep the enemy units off the board, so you'd have a lot of "empty" turns before having one where you made an opening and something happened.

The shop phase at the end of a turn was awful, you could buy the top card of your item deck, at which point you could buy the next item in line and so forth, or you could buy a random cheap consumable. Because there was literally only one item from your deck available to buy at any given time, you would get incredibly screwed if it happened to be a 20+ gold item on your first turn, even if you had six or eight cheaper items--it was literally luck of the draw with no real mitigation to it. Drawing cards to your hand though had you draw three at a time or more, so that helped normalize draws there at least.

Go play it, both versions are free. The second one has even a small story mode. Imo I think the games were really fun, but the first one with the TCG model felt like someone spat on your face. Or at least that is how most people took it it seems. Second version was way better and it hurts but.... too many people were still mad about the entire idea and the community who cared was too small.

in pic, best waifu

Attached: kanna.jpg (879x1200, 231.36K)

Hero and card balance was all over the place. I get that it's a card game and this will always be the case especially as new cards get introduced, but Artifact's was purposely bad in order to make some cards more valuable than others for the marketplace. For a game where people tend to gravitate towards certain heroes and are used to all of them being more or less viable, this is exceptionally bad design because now there's no reason to use your two star rarity hero in place of a straight up better one.

There was also an issue with some abilities and cards having a strong RNG focus (Such as one hero giving every ally a 50% chance to not die when dealt a killing blow). This made for a lot of frustrating matches where you'd pour attacks on a hero and lose every coinflip, deciding the game right there even if you made no bad moves.

Artifact would've died even if it was completely free. The monitization model might've not done it any favors, but you actually have to have a game people want to play before that enters into the picture at all anyway.

Why the fuck did this game have no chat? I actually liked the monetization model but the game was too RNG heavy and felt like playing alone in the dark.

Exactly. I had some 3rd world friends who love card games but trying to convince them to outright spend 20$(with non-localized prices anywhere in the world, so 20$ being a shitload of money in their shitholes of countries) just to try the game with me was impossible.
ANY other fucking card game they'd just have to download it, play a few games and get some free packs without spending a cent.

Kana-chan... I still can't find who voiced her in the game

Artifact was pretty good as a card game. It failed becasue of monetization and because it had so many moving parts it didn't appeal to streamers, but it could have definitely kept a niche audience if valve actually supported it.

It has some pretty cool back end features that I wish more card games would adapt like being able to set private rooms, letting you make tournaments and games with custom rules. Stuff like the cards having contextual barks was also pretty cool. Luckily Runeterra took a bunch of the shit I liked about artifact and added a generous monetization system.

Artifact 2 was a total shit show though and ended up being so goddamn boring I couldn't even finish all the tutorial missions.

It's you Artifact 1 defenders who killed the game. 2 is better in literally every way.

the problem wasn't the monetization but the fact that it was dota related. Dota is trash you subhumans are just too retarded to admitt it

2 was straight dogshit. It basically just stripped down most of Artifact's unique ideas in a half-ass attempt to get hearthstone babies to like it. 2 died becasue valve thought it would be a good idea to do a lottery system to into the beta despite it already having a super low install base due to the stigma. I finally got my invite like a month before they axed it but by that point I'd already moved on.

What we need is MORE AAA CARD-GAMES.

>Artifact would've died even if it was completely free
Doubt it. A lot of shit games have fanbases. If enough people are exposed to it, some % will shill it for free. Artifact model restricted severely the amount of people who could play it and therefore no actual fanbase was developed. The pool of players was too small.

It had so many issues before it’s gameplay coming into play.
>No one really cares about Dota 2 IP, not even doturds care that much and they won’t play anything that is not doturd.
>Complete silence from Valve on the game with a complex and impossible to properly understand on the first glance game rules. Remember that first tournament, casting team didn’t know fully wtf was going on.
>Niche game that you give no info on and just drop it randomly into the players hands.
>Make card game just like in IRL with trading and shit because we can with steam market. Except for the steam market to function you need lots of participants, you have none as the game has pay to play barrier.
Gameplay wise from what little I played shopping phase was AIDS and some heroes were clearly better then the others not just Axe and attack directions felt wonky.

we'll never find out because valve was suicidally stupid and decided not to make artifact 2 free to play
not to give artifact 2 to artifact 1 owners
but to make people sign up for keys and give them out sparingly until it was too late

Attached: 1638758344685.gif (368x450, 350.45K)