When did rote memorization of layouts and attack patterns after countless failures become synonymous with challenge and...

When did rote memorization of layouts and attack patterns after countless failures become synonymous with challenge and skill in vidya

That's more of a highly rehearsed performance, real skill needs to demonstrate success in dealing with completely new situations, somewhat similar but not literally identical to the ones you gained the skill on

Attached: 1908ul.jpg (957x957, 56.47K)

if it's so easy then why can't you do it user?

Give an example of the former and the latter.

Both of those are "real skill". It's just the one that's easier to design that caught on, I guess.

cringe
skill issue
git gud

I know the conventional answer is dark souls but I never got that from playing it, thatight have had a lot to do with my using magic though, Sekiro was like this for sure, although sekiro I'd overall a better game than dark souls 1 (never played the others)

>in vidya
i can't wait to see the look on your face when you realize it also works irl

When they were invented.

Holy fuck get a life, like, in real life

I didn't say it was easy, I said it was missing the point

>speed runs or From bosses
>memorize the level layout / boss movement and attacks
>just keep trying the same thing until it eventually works
>some passive skill gained in the background
>further attempts at more layouts / bosses will still require many attempts until new layouts and patterns are memorized i.e. almost like what you did so far didn't matter at all and someone new to the game will have the same experience

vs

>fighting or racing games
>spend a lot of time acquiring the skills and innate sense of timing
>eventually able to perform well even against completely new opponents and on new tracks you don't know the layouts of since you can adapt to any situation
>new players cannot hope to match up to your performance since you simply outskill them

Now carefully re-read your post and understand what you wrote
You will find a contradiction

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but every game functions like the former if you're bad enough at them. if you are good at a game you can encounter a new situation and solve it then and there.

>speedruns

No it's really clear and straightforward

Yes
>woah such and such beat this and that game in record time!
>... after 201562 attempts
Sure it required time dedication but the deciding factor was more luck and memorization than skill, you could teach a monkey to do it since it's the same game every time

>When did rote memorization of layouts and attack patterns after countless failures become synonymous with challenge and skill in vidya
Megaman, Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania on the NES.

No one's forcing you to speedrun retard, get a better example

What the fuck does that have to do with anything

Aside from 1,9, and some sections in 2, Mega Man is hardly based on memorization. The obstacles are almost always fair and the challenge is based on adapting to them in real time, rather than dodging an off screen obstacle.

>fighting
half of the learning curve of fighting games is learning all the situations and what to do in them

The fg one is about half and half because you're right about navigating neutral being a different experience you need to adapt to, but the other half cashing out on your damage is that memorization.

fighting bosses has always been about memorizing attack patterns and dodging appropriately, especially if you don't know weaknesses.