If the only way you can interface with the game world is by shooting and punching...

If the only way you can interface with the game world is by shooting and punching, you are going to curtail what kinds of stories you'll be able to tell in the video game medium.

There ought to be a game that gamifies conversation, similar to Oblivion, but more in-depth and fun. There's no reason it can't work out.

As it stands, game narratives are utter shite because games are never actually "about" their story.

Games are "about" killing hundreds of bad guys and levelling up. The boo-hoo story about the MC's dead wife and learning to love again is just a cheap veil.

Attached: 1648615882664.gif (750x396, 1.9M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eq3hGCKIvPA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

A.I. Dungeon

>There ought to be a game that gamifies conversation, similar to Oblivion, but more in-depth and fun.
There are plenty of games like that.

At that point I'd rather just read a fucking book or watch a movie and I say this as someone who thought Disco Elysium was a masterpiece. You VASTLY overestimate the storytelling abilities of videogame devs

Like what? CRPGs are the only ones I can think of.

>commie game enjoyer is a fucking retard
Shocking

L.A. Noire comes to mind. Would dating sims count?

Exactly. I've been saying for years that most modern games are functionally identical to playing Doom for 10 minutes and then watching a segment of the Sopranos for 2 minutes. Do this on repeat for 8 hours.

Doom and the Sopranos are both good, but don't jive well together.

Interesting stories are entirely dependent on conflict as a driving force. You want people walking and talking about mundane shit? Lmao. At best it would be a debate simulator but you can just waste your time on Any Forums if that's what you want.

youtube.com/watch?v=eq3hGCKIvPA

Stop huffing your own farts, most game stories are shit because they're shit not because we get to fight. Most of the time the gameplay and narrative are completely separate and barely interact, yeah Drake can gun down hundreds of goons but in the story he only ever killed like three dudes. Instead of being a faggot how bout you just go play some VNs

Violence has its place in the games I am proposing. What bothers me is when the game loop is 100% shooting, but then a sad, sad story is tacked on because people think it's artistic.

narrative is gay just like you video games are meant to be eiter about thinking or fun
console fags do neither

Attached: sincere samuel.jpg (2560x1440, 1.03M)

So how do you make the talking mean something to the shooting, and vicea versa
What's the point of two separate systems that never interact

user OP is a retard who shit on Disco Elysium he has no actual idea of what he wants

That is an incorrect assessment of my character.

Perhaps there could be a "weapon wheel" but for conversational moods instead.

Up: Be positive, uplift.

Right: Irreverent. Be jokey or flirty.

Down: Be negative, threatening.

Left: Employ debate. Barter. Question.

You might press left to say
>"I need to have a word with you. I am gathering intel on..."

and from there you can press up to be apologetic
>"... It's no big deal if you can't talk right now."

OR press the down key to instead put the pressure on
>"And I KNOW you know something."

No no, I'm not asking how your proposed dialogue system works, I'm asking how your proposed dialogue system is relevant to the meat of the game that is the combat. If your dialogue system is disconnected from the (many) shooting systems it will be at best an afterthought. It will only ever be something that distracts from and/or competes with the main gameplay, particularly if you design it an alternative to shooting (which is the impression I'm getting here).
What I'm asking is, what's the actual objective of including this dialogue system? It's all well and good to say there should be more interactivity in games, but if it leads to the same place it may as well be a cutscene - it should affect gameplay, so how do you propose to do that? Something as simple as which dialogue options you pick affecting which gameplay sections you go to? Can you talk while shooting to demoralize/confuse enemies or things like that?
You've clearly thought of HOW it works, but WHY?

>relevant to the meat of the game that is the combat
I'm proposing a game where the meat of the game *is* the dialog. Your post I was responding to implied the game would have no conflict. I'm saying you can create conflict without violence. All of your favorite movies and TV shows have it.

I'm talking about a game where violence isn't the focal point of the gameplay loop: dialog is.

The game could be segmented into chapters where you have to debate, threaten, or otherwise cajole the other major characters into seeing things your way. Other games have actually done this, with varying degrees of success. See the Telltale games for a vague idea of what I'm talking about. You could also employ Fallout: New Vegas' RPG mechanics to make it so that wearing a nice suit will give you +10 chance of success when talking to formal people, but will give you -10 chance of success against low-income people. Stuff like that.

In this scenario, perhaps violence needn't even be a part of gameplay. However, it could be cool to have violence and dialog cooperate synergistically. I'm not sure how it could work, but I'm sure if I thought about it long enough I could think of something.

If it's an RPG, you can have skills related to dialoging.
>Lying
>Persuasion
>Disguise
>Performance
>Barter
>Leadership
>Romance
>Intimidation

Ace Attorney. Dumbass.

There's already good games like that though, you can just take inspiration from the way they work. Disco Elysium like that other guy mentioned, Undertale for all the shit it gets here, Walking Dead like you yourself mention
I guess I'm not understanding what you're setting out to correct here. I agree that games with shooting a lot of guys shouldn't have stories that aren't about shooting a lot of guys, for the record

Perhaps I just made this thread to ramble. I've never played DE but it seems cool and interesting. The others I am familiar with. I guess I am just annoyed that shooter games insist on tacking on hackey stories to pull on your heart strings when it is totally inappropriate for the gameplay loop. In the end, I just want a game where you can perform dialog like I described and move your character around at the same time.

Situations might arise where you're in a combat scenario and you'd be able to make the enemy stand down by employing dialog... using positivity, threats, romance, or debate.

How come she didn't fall when she let go?