Will it ever be surpassed?

Attached: MGS2.jpg (265x375, 24.36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=76nb8h7oCpM
youtube.com/watch?v=qYd6McAUTeE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It was already surpassed in 2004, and 1998.

Attached: mgs3 subsistence cover.jpg (640x904, 271.38K)

it was surpassed in 2015

MGS3 surpassed it by A LOT

i was young back then but the game "predicts" a lot of what happens today, was kojimbo enlightened or was the direction of humanity and society common knowledge at the time

MGS1, 3 and V absolutely do not tackle the same topics and concepts as MGS2. They're not comparable.

These are games, nigger.

Gameplay is the only thing that matters, and in that aspect, they are comparable.

No because we understand how the world works in much greater detail than when any of us did in 2001. Furthermore modern gaming is transparent propaganda or appeals to the lowest common denominator so art like this will never be produced.

>Will it ever be surpassed?
No, but it has been matched

Attached: file.png (616x353, 296.8K)

None of those are movie games. They're games first, stories second. They are absolutely comparable.

>MGS2
>not a movie game
LOL
You literally walk 3 steps, cutscene, walk 3 steps, 10 minute codec call, go into next room, 20 minute cutscene. Do you not recall how small each room is and how long the cutscenes are in each room?

youtube.com/watch?v=76nb8h7oCpM

I know what I said. MGS2 certainly has more cutscenes than 1, 3 and 5, but it's not as cutscene heavy as you're making it out to be. MGS4 on the other hand, now THAT is a movie game through and through.

Attached: file.png (1147x309, 197.44K)

How is MGS2 a game? On the Big Shell, you watch 10 mins of cutscenes, ok? Then you open a door and get another 2 minute cutscene with 5 minute radio call. You go up an elevator in another 3 minute cutscene with 5 minute radio call. You go down stairs and get another 3 minute radio call. You step out a door in the next room (after avoiding ONE guard) and you get another 3 minute scene. Go into the next building and it's a 20 minute scene where you meet Vamp, Pliskin, following by more radio calls to recap events. You go out and into the next building and you get introduced to Stillman in a 20 minute cutscene interrupted by 10 minute radio calls. THE ENTIRE GAME IS LIKE THIS.

Attached: image_1 (15).jpg (511x680, 44.67K)

>How is MGS2 a game? On the Big Shell, you watch 10 mins of cutscenes, ok? Then you open a door and get another 2 minute cutscene with 5 minute radio call. You go up an elevator in another 3 minute cutscene with 5 minute radio call. You go down stairs and get another 3 minute radio call. You step out a door in the next room (after avoiding ONE guard) and you get another 3 minute scene. Go into the next building and it's a 20 minute scene where you meet Vamp, Pliskin, following by more radio calls to recap events. You go out and into the next building and you get introduced to Stillman in a 20 minute cutscene interrupted by 10 minute radio calls. THE ENTIRE GAME IS LIKE THIS.
Fuck, now I really want to replay MGS2

>I like menu flipping

MGS4 has FAR MORE GAMEPLAY than MGS2. MGS4 has these big semi-open world areas you can spend ages in messing around in Chapters 1 and 2. But MGS2? The rooms in MGS2 are TINY. It takes you a few seconds to get to each exit in each room, following by crazy codec calls and cutscenes. At least MGS4's zones cannot be ran through in 10 seconds

I genuinely think Kojima is a pretty smart guy even if he loves the smell of his own farts, but he also didn't write MGS2 without other writers or researchers.

>muh topics
So you never even played the game, nor do you care about gameplay. Got it.

Death Stranding also predicted everyone living in isolation and communicating via holographs (Zoom)

NTA but 2 is still better. The enemy AI in 3 felt like a huge downgrade. The camo switching mechanic felt lazy too.

MGS2 has no gameplay. All you do is watch cutscenes, then enter a new room and get to the exit in 5 to 15 seconds. Replay it, you'll see.

It's rough around the edges with some of its subplots and side-characters, but the main narrative resonates more today because of how ambitious and forward-thinking if was for the time.

I'm sure something similar had been put into novels before MGS2, but it was the first video game to tackle themes of control and power in such a nuanced way. People wanted a strait-forward thriller with some twists and turns (like it's predecessor), but instead received a story about power and control at a level that was hard to take in with technology in its current state.

It makes more sense now, and if you don't believe that powerful entities are out there trying to control society and narratives with a constant flow of digital information, you're a fool.

It didn't make for the best game from an enjoyment standpoint, but the idea of manipulating technology and data to the point of control is one that has grown more relevant with each passing day.

The cutscene to game ratio per game:
>MGS1 30/70
>MGS2 90/10
>MGS3 40/60
>MGS4 70/30
>MGSV 20/80

>Death Stranding also predicted everyone living in isolation and communicating via holographs (Zoom)
Well MGS 2 predicted the president grabbing someone by the pussy.

youtube.com/watch?v=qYd6McAUTeE

Attached: 1455422019408.png (200x226, 61.26K)