Why are there no more RTS-RPGs with heavy story focus like Warcraft 3...

Why are there no more RTS-RPGs with heavy story focus like Warcraft 3? Not a single game comes close to it in memorability.

Attached: Warcraft-3-Ravages-of-the-Plague-Fountain-of-Life.jpg (960x720, 136.85K)

May I introduce you to Kingdom Under Fire, the game I got as a kid from my sex offender neighbor.

Attached: 962994.jpg (620x465, 125.17K)

Because these games require soul and Blizzard has sold its long ago.

Corn syrup has solidified everyones brains so now 1 unit is all they can handle controlling. [Spoiler]it makes me seethe that mobas are considered a strategy game[/spoiler]

>the game I got as a kid from my sex offender neighbor.
What other games did he teach you?

For the past 10+ years most RTS game designers went full retard and (incorrectly) thought that only the PvP balance of an RTS matters and everything else could be ignored. That's why every new RTS flops horribly.

In reality, the two most important factors for an RTS being successful is having a good single player campaign and having a good map editor. PvP balance is practically irrelevant.

>implying RTS-RPG hybrids aren't just the first step towards dumbing down strategy games

The irony is that if a spiritual sucsessor to WC3 came out today, with a good story, fun heroes and the exact same gameplay, it'd sell truckloads.

But no, the only audience devs even acknowledge anymore are the competitive players who will drop it the nanosecond they get bored. I fucking hate reality.

Attached: 1630469316282.jpg (492x356, 65K)

WC3 is extremely micro intensive

This, every single new rts is trying to be a starcraft killer, and ends up just being a soulless clone

They are billions

Back then it wouldn't be surprising for a player to pick up the game and never play a single multi-player match. Having a single player campaign had to be a top selling point to get players to buy them. These days almost everybody plays online, so the single player stuff has been moved to the back seat.

WC3's single player campaign was mostly a joke

>WC3 is extremely micro intensive
no it's not
It might be one of the most slow paced RTS games out there

>almost everybody plays online
I don't. I haven't played a game online with other people since I quit WOW in 2010.
I know I don't represent the majority of the population, but I wish I did.

You'll probably hate me for it. But I only liked the hero based kof games.

They had really cute girls and I liked the mix of rts with action combat. It was really neat.
The MMO made me sad though

It's old at this point but I recall rise of legends being neat.

There have actually been studies done on games recording how players act, and consistently for RTS games, less than half of players actually go on to play online after playing single player. Even today, online players are a minority.

Fucking Starcraft got killed because of its obsession with PVP.

>no interesting new factions because muh multiplayer balance
>multiplayer is still an unbalanced piece of shit

Objectively wrong.
A well microed hero could destroy a whole enemy army.

Frozen Throne's campaign is anything but a joke
may I remind you to these motherfuckers?

Attached: royalguard.jpg (364x246, 36.35K)

this doesn't even make sense. people are still playing starcraft and have been since it came out in 1998, long before any developer even thought about esports. the only time it died was when blizzard got mad that people were having big money tournaments without giving them a cut and tried to kill it.

SC2 was extremely bad in that regard
every new expansion
>now it's YOUR turn to be the best!
>now it's YOUR turn to be the best!

>These days almost everybody plays online, so the single player stuff has been moved to the back seat.

It moved to the back seat because it takes a lot of money and time to craft a good SP game. Literally every genre of game is suffering from this. The push for online MP is because it's easier to make them, and content drip you for years with small stuff.

I only played heroes, but it was pretty fun. I was not a big fan of the swap of gameplay, and felt other games did it better, like LOTR Conquest