Modern JRPGs

I went back to Lunar SSSC recently, and I'm impressed with how well it holds up for a light 26 year old remake of a 30 year old game. Are there any modern games Any Forums could point me to that capture the simple joy of being a young man on an adventure in an interesting fantasy world?

Attached: Lunar1box.jpg (340x294, 25.42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=B-4n4kZeF2U
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I dunno but the only thing I know about Lunar is Wind's Nocturne, which is great.
youtube.com/watch?v=B-4n4kZeF2U

I played about half way through the PSP port before I realized how nerfed everything was. The best part of Lunar was how unafraid it was to kick your bitch-ass if you didn't play correctly.
In the PSP version you just stomp everything.

>capture the simple joy of being a young man on an adventure
i mean, that's the entire Dragon Quest series

I think the biggest thing that broke it was the addition of limit breaks. Completely unnecessary addition.

Obligatory reminder that Ghaleon was in love with Dyne (at least in the original game)

I've enjoyed my time with DQ11, although I keep dropping it and forgetting to go back. Is there a particular point where it starts to pick up the pace? I think I got to shortly after you got the boat and haven't managed to get back into it since.

getting the boat is where it starts to pick up and finally when SPOILER happens is where it gets interesting

Same bro. Stopped right after getting the boat.

I missed the modern part just as I was gonna post, but play Grandia too if you haven't.

Attached: 1645534600909.jpg (1024x768, 330.6K)

I started playing the Saturn version of Lunar 1 yesterday. Good shit. I'm having a lot more fun than when I tried playing Trails in the Sky.

Attached: 1636127627356.gif (350x247, 981.66K)

Literally play Grandia like said, it's the most feel good shonen fucking jrpg ever.

Lunar is pretty whatever I feel, doesn't help that Working Designs kind of butchered the script and gameplay.

Early Tales games.
Wild Arms.

Working designs actually cracked up the difficulty with their localizations. The JP originals were easier.

Attached: 1598408569637.webm (512x384, 2.99M)

For some reason they just had a huge hardon for making the difficulty of their games way higher, I think literally every game they ever localized was made significantly harder for no real reason.

I like the twist in Lunar that Alex's waifu is God

it was common practice at the time. they didn't want anyone to be able to beat a game with a single weekend rental.

I think it was just purely them wanting to make the games harder for the hell of it. A lot of what they handled were jrpgs, a genre you literally will never finish in a weekend anyway, and they still made rather extreme changes.

i mean, retired devs have said that they made games harder expressly out of concern for the rental market so i don't really care about your baseless speculations.

SOUL overload

No one did that shit past the third gen retard. Few fourth gen games ever did this.

FIGHTING
THROUGH THE DARKNESS
YET WE ARE NOT DONE

Still have mine in mint condition

Attached: 20200515_174014.jpg (3264x2448, 2.31M)