Untitled

youtube.com/watch?v=DnQz9njOPXg

Attached: phantasy star.png (1280x1024, 2.05M)

Other urls found in this thread:

romhacking.net/games/66/
romhacking.net/hacks/6778/
youtu.be/ObSNtdRso_I
youtube.com/watch?v=yA_1EhCgV3w
youtu.be/-gRGh0FMbJY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

thanks for reminding me that Phantasy Star always sucked ass and that the Genesis had no good games

>genesis

Attached: 1653383367393.png (292x274, 204.49K)

I beat the sega AGES version of 1 but can't get through 2, I always end up dropping it. Should I just skip to 3 or is there some patch that fixes 2 to make it less tedious?

romhacking.net/games/66/

Attached: 1653602624540.jpg (1136x477, 136.98K)

Phantasy Star 2 is pretty rough no matter how you play it, this is a rom hack i found that modernizes the game and has much faster walking, i haven't played it but it might be worth checking out
romhacking.net/hacks/6778/
as for 3, you can skip it unless you want the full classic phantasy star experience but if you don't like 2 then 3 isn't much better, not to mention that 3 is very disconnected from the rest of the series outside of a revelation at the end and two references 4 makes to it
4 as you've probably heard is one of the best god damn jrpgs of that era and the best game in the series, it's fantastic

Attached: 1647287347432.gif (288x312, 10.04K)

I really liked how Phantasy Star 1 was just fantasy with the occasional rocketship or laser rifle. Pure fucking adventure. Later games swapped that out for techno greebles on everything and 2D dungeons and maudlin unavoidable cutscenes and I can't get into them

youtu.be/ObSNtdRso_I

Attached: 1653603042050.gif (332x392, 1.77M)

Based

No matter what you do. It's gonna be rough. Either because of enemy encounters being ass or the dungeons being equally as ass. Don't be shamed to be bust out a map if you want to

Attached: 11_psg_alisa_result.png (785x2048, 766.55K)

Attached: phantasy_star_killian_eng.0.0.jpg (1200x800, 308.97K)

I'll give one of those patches a try, my main problem with 2 is that the dungeons all feel like ass and it just feels like I'm going from town to town grinding up until I can buy new gear in one town, then going to the next town and grinding there until I can get new gear and continuing that forever. Doesn't help all of the dungeons and towns feel the same, at least 1 had you going to different looking areas pretty often.

Phantasy Star had a unique setting in that it was futuristic but it also wasn't post apocalyptic. Space travel is just as easy to get as a plane ticket, laser swords and laser guns, monsters are all alien looking. I personally call it 'optimisic sci fi' and i lump Star Trek (at least before Enterprise) and Star Ocean into the same niche. that combined with the peak of anime design (80's scifi) and i always feel a pang of nostalgia for it

youtube.com/watch?v=yA_1EhCgV3w

but modern PS is just generic yes. its unfortunate.

Attached: nei.jpg (1339x563, 202.47K)

Which of those old Phantasy Star games has the best story?
I know the gameplay is trash but if the scifi story is good I might give it a go

Man, 1 was so much fun.

With a map feature.

PS4 is the best in every respect and its gameplay is great too.

Is it okay to skip 2 and 3?

4. it also has primitive macros, revolutionary for the 4 dudes in a row genre

>I know the gameplay is trash
PS1 kicked ass, piecing together what you need to do and where to go with the clues you have was fun

All PS games are 99% self-contained. PS4 makes some references to earlier games but nothing that requires playing them.

3 yes.

2 is an experience of its own. It has all the bullshit, labyrinthine dungeon design of the 80s jrpg era

3 has very little to do with the series in general. You can skip it and not really lose much

2 has more ties to the series but 4 pretty much sums up the very important stuff you need to know anyway even if you don't get the full explanation.

PS2 is something nobody should play until they've already played PS4, PS1 and decided that yes, they desperately need more of the same but now with a gigantic world with nothing in it and one of the worst combat systems known to man.

youtu.be/-gRGh0FMbJY

Attached: goatman.gif (186x276, 11K)