What exactly is the main issue with this game's combat...

What exactly is the main issue with this game's combat? I've played it once and I liked it personally but I don't have a lot of experience with these kinds of RPGs to compare it to. I see people saying that the combat is atrocious almost as often as I see them overhyping the game.

Is it the fact that you basically use the same weapon with the same moveset throughout the entire game? My main other comparison point would be Skyrim and Witcher 3 seems miles better because you don't have cardboard cutouts swinging hits that don't connect at each other until one dies, you actually have to think about positioning, dodging, etc.

And the weapon variety is somewhat compensated for if you decide to do a non pure combat build. You can set traps, unlock different modes for your spells with different purposes etc.

Obviously not shilling a 7 year old game I'm genuinely curious as to what would make someone say that this game's combat system was already outdated by the time of its release. It may be true but what does it mean exactly?

Attached: apps.28990.69531514236615003.8f0d03d6-6311-4c21-a151-834503c2901a.jpg (720x1080, 218.34K)

Dunno, I thought it was fine too.

Any Forums are mostly contrarians.

I've seen people say it's bad because they can't get a handle on how Geralt varies his attack animation based on distance from the enemy.

Any Forums can't name one REAL RPG with better combat.

It was ok, nothing amazing but functional and easily better than either of it's predecessors
Any Forums was sucking off Bloodborne hard at release, so a lot of the hate came from not having the same systems as a FROM game where combat is the biggest focus

My biggest issues were that Quen was overpowered as fuck and you pretty much needed to use it at all times to get through Deathmarch, and I made it through Deathmarch without even touching traps or bombs.

It's the balancing that's the issue what people mostly complain about, mechanically the combat FEELS fine. Just download something the ghost mode to fix the oversights and balancing issues.

The bread and butter combat is very prescriptive and boring. You do a gay little dodge and then counter attack with a move with a built in forward dash, so no movement/spacing is required on your part. Enemies have simplistic movesets and even if you create a big whiff you can't capitalise with something like a charged attack. Then there's the dominance of spamming Quen over other magic and the fact that buffs are largely not worthwhile, and the lack of variety in general.

Strange that you're even asking this question, it's pretty obvious why the combat is underwhelming. Did you really not get bored at any point of doing the same thing over and over for 60+ hours?

>You do a gay little dodge and then counter attack
As I said I didn't play a lot of games like this. I was genuinely amazed because it felt so much better than Bethesda games. Gay little dodge? That in itself was really a great reactive element to the combat. The hits felt like they were connecting.

It's obviously nowhere near something like Dark Souls of course. But still, I don't get why people universally consider the TW3 combat to be surpassed and really bad.

Maybe if I played a lot of other games I would see it too but to answer your question, no, I didn't get bored of the combat. I eventually stopped fighting random drowners and wolves because why would I, but there was just enough enemy variety and skill variety that the combat never made me bored.

I did get bored however from the pacing of the main story. THAT however is easily surpassed because of how high the overall quality floor is. I could get bored, start a side quest, and it would turn out fucking amazing.

I think The Witcher 3 is probably a better game overall than say Elden Ring, because the world building, side quests and soundtrack are far superior. I don't think the combat is bad, just average. I've heard mods fix a lot of the grievances I have with it so i'm planning on playing it again modded.

I actually bought and played Elden Ring and the combat and everything is really amazing. Was surprised to find out I was actually quite good at it. I like the combat more but nothing in it made me go "ah so that's the better combat system and why Witcher 3 gets criticized all the time". Yeah sure it's better and more varied but Witcher doesn't suck in itself, it's fun.

Overall I like Witcher 3 way more because ER just feels depressive. NPCs just stand, barely animated, and talk a few sentences at you. You can go on for like 20 hours without meeting anyone, any dialogue. There is no narrative structure at all. It's all just enemies. I get that it's on purpose but it's not for me, I want my games to feel a bit more alive. Some structure and story and meaning to the things you're doing...

All of the critically acclaimed RPGs have shit or mediocre combat. People just seethe about an RPG being so popular with normies so have to perform mental gymnastics to tell themselves Witcher 3 is shit so they can "own" the normies.

Not sure how to phrase this but Demon's Souls (and Dark Souls to an extent) are astronomically better in that regard. You meet NPCs more frequently in levels, and their stories progress naturally as yours does. Elden Ring's open world is its biggest flaw, they didn't update any of the Souls tropes to fit well in it.

Oh and obviously, Sekiro is their absolute best in terms of narrative structure.

The best part about the game is the immersion and story. But CDPR decided to completely disconnect the story from the gameplay, there is zero in-universe explaination why Geralt should be incapable of wearing Mastercrafted Wolf School armor because he is below level 34 or why the level 24 drowner is more powerful than an level 10 Golem.

You should never bring MMO shit into a singleplayer.

Biggest flaw is that there's no air combos or juggling.

I enjoyed the combat, I wouldn't say that it's anything special but it's enjoyable given that you put the tools you acquire to use.
I'm playing Witcher 1 for the first time this year and I find that although the combat isn't polished and smooth, the game still makes you use all the different fighting styles and various potions/oils to actually succeed and be satisfied with the combat.

What's juggling?

We might just be looking for different things in games then. I know how DS3 works (other installments are probably similar in this regard) and it's just not the thing I'm looking for. Even if it's much better than in ER. I want cutscenes with dialogue choices, quests with NPCs that run around and do shit and where I get to interact with stuff and experience mini stories.

I completely agree with you. But unlike a potentially bad combat system this just isn't a fatal flaw in itself. It's bad but it's not gonna stop me from enjoying the game.

> All of the critically acclaimed RPGs have shit or mediocre combat.
Do explain, like which ones? Skyrim for sure is the only one I know where I'm really dumbfounded as to how they made it suck so much.

>People just seethe about an RPG being so popular with normies so have to perform mental gymnastics to tell themselves Witcher 3 is shit so they can "own" the normies.
I'm not actually talking about Any Forums seething that's to be expected. I'm talking about various reviewers and online posters picking that as their top TW3 criticism. Maybe it's just the most flawed part of the game, but still serviceable in itself. E.g. in a much worse game the combat would not stand out as the point to pick on.

i really enjoy the gameplay. i dont get the hate. i think the game is really fun on deathmarch. i like how using potions is basically a requirement for success, you have to think about which potions and oils you use for each battle. plus the actual combat itself is nice, lots of fluid dodging required and getting the right hits in. its way better than most open world games.

It was painfully slow with shitty targeting and animations. You can fix all that with mods though

Attached: he's fast.webm (640x360, 2.83M)

Feels boring. I like Witcher 1 though, and didn't make it past 2's tutorial.

My problem with the combat is not the movements but the horrendous level-up and talent system, which means any interesting moves are replaced by: +5 damage, +5 magic, +5 healing, etc.
The moves all suck ass because they either require tons of investment plus opportunity costs from leveling up, or they require an absurd amount of stamina/magic so it's not practical to use them.

This looks pretty good. Which mod?

I like the lore. I am ok with the combat. But everytime i arrive in skellige, i somehow stop playing.

I really like it though. How to motivate myself?

All that's shown there would be the mod I used that let you control how fast any animation was and I cranked up the values. And some custom blood mod I got from a random discord.

Attached: The Witcher 3 2020.08.31 - 17.47.22.02.DVR.webm (640x360, 2.94M)