Player Controlled Worlds

Do you think it's a good idea to let players make decisions that permanently alter a game world? Has this ever been done in an intelligent and meaningful manner?

Attached: file.png (1280x720, 1.02M)

Any game with multiplayer and sandbox capabilities has exponential capabilities for griefing.

You either accept arbitrary "stake" restrictions where people can protect their bases or whatever counts for one (which makes the game boring and kills comunities), or you have to balance clueless normies against intentional trolls.

"griefing" and "intentional trolling" are hard things to define. If the game is open world and allows PvP me killing you and wrecking your shit is neither, yet too many people will call it that.

Fuck Golden Sands. That is all.

FOMO marketing is a cancer that you can't get rid of in 'games as a service' titles. Rare thinks events like this will help player retention, but in reality it will drive away new players as they realize that they will never be able to experience the things that older players did.
Fuck you golden sands is based

>literal splatfest
seems okay to me, I did the hunter quest but will probably do more servant stuff as the week progresses. and yes, I think shit like this is pure kino

I like Golden Sands, but I'd rather we get something new. If they did shit like this to Daggertooth no one would give a shit.

What is this?

>
>
for reputation.

Only if they can't hold a monopoly on power and do things that ruin the game for everyone else like people can do in real life.

Status is definitive; motivational.

You say that until a poopsock guild takes over your server, dominates all PvP and destroys the economy.

That's why I like that Sea of Thieves isn't an MMO, every ship is really one their own for the most part.

Wasn't there that other MMO (Terra Nova or something?) that had dedicated 'invasion' sites where everyone could team up to fight them, and if they fucked up, the enemies establlished a foothold and ran riot.

Always thought it was a cool concept, but you need a clever dev team to build it in a way that it doesn't permanently fuck the balance

Define that.

shit like this happened in new world only a month after launch. you had the most powerful guilds ruining the entire server for their own benefit.
soooo glad that faggot game is dead. i regret playing it.

Part of why all MMOs are cancer.

The simplest is that every player plays together for the most benefit and fun.

MMO is the most important genre because simultaneous characters is strategy, intensity, and thus fun.

Not everyone has the same idea of what is fun. Maybe pushing your shit in and stealing your stuff is what's fun for me.

A consolidation of power by a highly organized and committed group of players, usually in contact outside of the game, who make it their life's work to not only dominate the game in all aspects but detract from everyone else's enjoyment through aggressive and exploitative play styles.

Status is the most fun.

well said

Wurm Online and Haven & Hearth are pretty based.

okay sure. just dont let players gain power over other players. that shit gets abused almost instantly.

It's OK to have powerful players.

Did they add progression to the game yet or is it still just pointlessly sailing around looking for newbies to grief?

You can progress through multiple different companies and always have been able to.

ok, rat thief.

Okay, but are there new ships, weapons and other shit to unlock or does the game still only have like 4 weapons and 3 ships, or whatever retardly low amount they launched with?