Half-life did linear game design better 20 years ago

just finished half life 1 on hard. why is this so much fun compared to modern fps games? i have the odd feeling that the gaming industry never understood how to make a linear experience like hl1 and 2. there is so much replayability and fun to be had in these two games twenty years after their release, and not many big budget titles have a single clue as to how to do it.

Attached: hoof lef.jpg (400x300, 31.6K)

half life was the beginning of the end for gaming

OP here, forgot to add "dont" in the last sentence, i retard, also
this is not my question, what im trying to understand is how did valve's linear design do such a good job compared to so many other video games even today.

>forgot to add "dont"
do not use contractions around me, nigger

you fuckhead i stated that im stupid, whats the issue?

it's two words, do and not

What do I think of Black Mesa creators? I decided I should play it finally but I'm not sure whether to buy or pirate.

>What do I think of Black Mesa creators?
pretty fucking based when it was free. Pretty jewy now but the game is good.

this in a nut shell, when it was free it was the coolest shit, but $20 makes me wince, maybe 5, 10 at the most, but they're asking for more than the official vidya

they worked on it for so long if they didn't get anything in return it
it wouldn't make any logical sense
I got it for 5$ but honestly the amount of care and detail put in it's probably worth more than 20$

So the reason you hate it is that it's popular. People charge money for popular things. Classic Any Forums.

i'm not sure how you retards manage to garble the actual reasons for shit into something illogical, no that doesn't mean you win because you can argue with yourself, you're an idiot, you can do that all up and down throughout the day, you're a total faggot

>i got it for 5 but it's worth more than 20
classic Any Forums

I'm obviously at least waiting until it's on sale if I do buy it at all. The question is whether they deserve any money.

Attached: intj.png (625x604, 165.52K)

Short answer is all the old guard of the industry responsible have moved onto to other things and the new guard aren’t as ambitious. You COULD spend several days designing and play testing levels to ensure quality control. OR you could just make a big ass map, call it open world and sprinkle in some busy work and call it a day. Old school and the newer “boomer” shooters love or die on good level design and interesting set pieces. That takes time and talent the new diversity hires just don’t have.

I'm broke what can I say and who could refuse a good sale

well obviously they deserve money, they made a great product, but as i said before i cannot imagine them getting more than 10 bucks tops

ima pirate it, because of course i am, 20 fucking dollars, what were they thinking.

Mostly this, but I'd like to add something: Why would you spend hours and hours making an intricately designed set of maps like in HL1 or even 2 when you will 100000000% make more money creating a roguelite, a phone game, etc. There is no great incentive to make a grand campaign like HL1 anymore unless you LOVE what you're doing like the Black Mesa devs, or nu-classic fps developers.

Half Life 1 was actually a really good game despite some autist on this board trying to start a campaign against it

>was
we need to have some Any Forums deathmatches, right now

After switching between Black Mesa and the original a lot, I actually prefer Black Mesa despite it having a lot of annoying niggles
Except for Xen, they didn't understand why Xen was bad and decided to double down on it and make it 6 hours long

It's very good, better than the original. They even overhauled Xen.

It’s why I love the Dead Space games. While not shooters, when I saw the documentary on how they made the drag tentacle monster sequence for DS1 and how they had to do it piece meal to make it work in a way they wanted, that’s some dedication! And for an event that really only happens like 2 times in the whole game.

Because when you make a linear action game, it needs to be one CONTINUOUS experience. Very few if zero breaks in viewpoint. It has to be first person and real time from start to finish. Any scripted sequences have to happen with player control and in real time.
A lot of modern game studios neglect this fact and make the player constantly jump from place to place and time to time, making the game feel disjointed and irritating. It's because they're greedy and want to make an epic story with lots of different locations with zero transit time between them. Turns out the disjointed nature of the game's progression negates any of the attempted epicness though.

Attached: 1622250127624.png (1080x823, 299.69K)

Xen was shit because HL1 has terrible platforming, and the level design was basic

Xen was shit because it doesn't fit the Half Life theme. Half Life until that point was visceral and realistic. Xen started to dip into Unreal territory of video-gamey alien shit
Black Mesa doesn't get that. Their Xen feels like a fucking Zelda dungeon