Fighting games are fucking weird

I just bought a copy of GGST after listening to the OST for a good month or two and watching a few tournaments/high-level gameplay videos.

Decided the game looks fucking sick and I'll give it a try. First of all, this shit cost me:

>PS4 copy of the game
>PS+ pass for multiplayer
>My sanity for the past 2 days

I have no fucking clue how to imput shit. It use both joystick and D-pad for movement imputs and I have no idea which is better, not even how to chain combos with characters.

There is so much shit to learn and I have no idea if I have what it takes or where to begin. I invested a lot of money (for me that is) into getting into it, I want to get better, just no idea where to begin

Attached: maxresdefault (4).jpg (1280x720, 91.64K)

"imput", he says

Attached: 1641611584464.png (500x530, 85.12K)

>PS4 copy of the game
>PS+ pass for multiplayer
Why the fuck are you playing the shit version on top of paying to use your own internet?

c.S -> f.S -> 5H
That's your most basic combo

use dpad not analog stick
focus on learning to block before trying to learn combos
drill inputs you have trouble with on both sides of the screen in training mode

Here are the 5 things you need to learn to get into fighting games:
1-Learn what fighting games and their logic behind it (Neutral, offence, defence)
2-Learn the logic of the fighting game you are learning (How is neutral in that game, how is offence in that game, how is defence in that game, what frames are throws, what beat throws, what beat meaties, are reversals meterless or not etc)
3- Match-Up knowledge (When you can press a button, what beats what, etc)
4- Execution (This one is easy because you can just spend 2 months) in training mode for it, but you will not learn how to play, just the execution)
5- Your mental/mental games

Treat fighting games as a puzzle game for you to figure out and check guides out there and come up with stuff yourself, you have the whole mission mode in Strive, dustloop you can read, tons of videos, streams, etc
Siphon as much of knowledge as possible then when you'll learn your second fighting game, it will be piss easy

Once you learned the basic moves of your characters go play some matches online. You probably won't win them but you don't want to spend 100% of your time in training mode or against the CPU. Then it's a back and forth between playing online and practicing new stuff in training mode.

Use the d-pad. Bind dash and RC (I use dash on R2 and RC on L1.) Then do the tutorial and mission mode. Each chapter of the missions has a combo trial for every character, too

Sure, I just have trouble reading some of the prompt, like command grabs for example. It's a weird fucking arrow that's going off of D-PAD into slash or whatever. How do the do I imput that with my controller ?

ur fault for playing a shit game

You hit forward, release forward and hit down, then roll your thumb to the down-forward diagonal and hit slash at the same time

play may
learn her most basic combos and kill confirms
watch youtube tutorials and tournament gameplay
practice movement
learn matchups

win

>It's a weird fucking arrow that's going off of D-PAD into slash
You have two hands, right? Keep your left hand on the D-pad and the right one on the buttons. You do the motion on the D-pad, and the moment you hit the last direction you also press the button.

Game has a ''Missions'' mode, go there and do all of them. Right fucking now.

bump

Use the d-pad. Check a keyboard number pad for directions as people use that for input notation. For instance a quarter circle forward would be 236. A half circle 41236. For the casual dreaded D/P Motion, do 623. Depending on your controller, you may want to let go for a split second before doing the the 23 for the 623 motion. Letting go and letting your buttons return to the 5 position is called returning to the neutral position.

Anyone who tells you it will take months or years to get decent execution is incorrect. Doing it mid match while under pressure and juggling all your decision making will take a while. But doing basic motions can be done in under a day.

Start slow with your movement. Then slowly speed up the motion a little bit faster and faster until the move comes out. Watch your hands. New players get anxious with their hands and end up gripping the controller harder or speeding up their inputs frantically. Precision is key, not speed. Without anyone to look at your hands and tell you what you're doing wrong, you'll need to be more aware of yourself.

Attached: numpad.jpg (606x900, 147.32K)

When you first pick up a character what are, say, the 10 or so move types you should identify (and how)?
i.e. fastest move, anti-air, etc.

Attached: fightan.jpg (1044x600, 209.76K)

Congratulations, you basically bought yourself the videogame equivalent of this!

But don't you worry, the pain you feel at first might feel weird, maybe even frustrate you, but if you stick with it and really get into it it'll make you feel really good. I Promise.

CBT that is, not fighting games.

Attached: 81qUTArboAL._AC_SX679_.jpg (679x680, 29.43K)

Stick to one character, spend a good 15-30 minutes every day or every other day practicing inputs and beginner combos to the point of which they become muscle memory.
Do those combos over and over again in Survival mode on normal difficulty so that you can practice doing them in an actual round but without too much pressure.
Watch professional players play your character but pay less attention to their flashy combos that are hard to execute and pay more attention to how they approach their enemies, what attacks they throw, how far away they like to stay from each character, etc.

That's actually really useful

Strive is the dumbest and most accessible fighting games have ever been. The genre is on it's way out anyways. If sf6 flops it will just be flavor of the month games that peak at 2k players after the first week and are shilled by trannies on twitter.