So, was this any good?

So, was this any good?

Attached: octopath traveler.jpg (1840x2560, 1.03M)

No

no

Attached: d62lm2k-417d40d9-ce95-4bd9-bd2d-05ea559ffcff.png (500x500, 137.84K)

Nay

What was so bad about it?

The visuals make it cool for a few hours, but I dropped after that

I liked it a lot. Great character customization and team building. The individual stories are great as well, for the most part.
I also am not autistic screeching about the lack of a DQ-party speech option though, so take that for what you will.

Dunkey hated it.

For me it was that every battle took a year and a half to finish

But that's what every jrpg was like pre-2010s.

yes

Yes. I bought it because I liked old school rpgs and I got an old school rpg with enough minor mechanical changes to keep it fresh.

blatantly untrue

Unless you're autistic about muh character interactions, it has very good and fun combat. Lots of boss battles in it.

Get a Scholar and boost a AoE spell for random mobs.

For boss battles, learn how to make the best out of the tools the battle system give you and set up combos that will destroy bosses.

it's good
zoomers got filtered hard, that should tell you enough

literally 9.5/10 game
fantastic if you're into Tactics games
it's very story driven tho

I loved it when it came out.

>if you're into Tactics games
Um?

post prim

Attached: __primrose_azelhart_octopath_traveler_drawn_by_lasterk__sample-98a0f5a80345f41438b6ad02d5479cfd.jpg (850x1343, 220.6K)

ACTUAL REVIEW

The biggest problem imo is that you can't complete anyone's storyline unless everyone else's story is at the same chapter. So if one char is on chapter 3 most other characters need to get to chapter 3 before you can tackle chapter 4. The are huge level jumps between chapters and that's how the game limits you.

Each chapter takes 1-2 hours to complete. So let's say you complete a chapter for 1 character you basically won't get back to the next part of that story for 7-14 hours of real life gameplay time. And if you don't play frequently real life days can pass before you go back to that first storyline. That huge break in the story makes it harder to follow and harder to care about each characters story. AND you just sat through SEVEN other characters stories and you need to refresh your memory about what the story is about, all the characters in the story, etc. Half way through the game I decided I was only going to really pay attention to 4-5 stories and I blazed through the others.

I'd rate 5/10 avg and wouldn't spend more than 30 bucks for it.

Attached: 1626904377480.jpg (500x796, 112.52K)

could you please stop being so fukkin' racist

It's alright, but play Live A Live instead

It really wasn’t and I love tactics games

Yes except for the final boss rush. Had to make an op setup because I can't be bothered to sit through 20min of trash boss to attempt the true final boss once.

>watches her girlfriend get stabbed and thrown off a cliff by her rapist

game was hardcore

Attached: 1653176925059.jpg (1024x581, 65.87K)

I identified a similar issue fairly quick, and simply focused a party of 4, and after finishing those 4, did the other 4. Worked out perfect.
I can't, no.

It's a good game but nothing overly special about it other than it was the debut of HD-2D.

I think even the people that enjoyed themselves aren't clamoring for a sequel or anything.

>you can't complete anyone's storyline unless everyone else's story is at the same chapter.

That's completely untrue though. You can do anyone's story in any order you want. There's literally an achievement for beating the game with only a single character and their story.

The truth too is that, levels don't matter past chapter 2. They have minimal impact on your character's stats. Job Points (JP) and especially equipment make a far bigger difference. Even if they brought a level 1 character to a lategame boss fight they would still be useful since they can still damage enemy Shield points and buff your party. And you can still beef them up with lategame equipment so that they deal decent damage + don't die to everything in one hit.

>Each chapter takes 1-2 hours to complete.

If you are terrible at the game and take a whole hour to get past the boss fight, sure.

Oh good, another RPG like Octopath to sit in my pile of still shrink wrapped games I'll never play because I don't have time to invest in an RPG anymore. Thanks, user. I'll look back on this post fondly in 40 years when I retire and finally get to play through all this shit.

It was just okay. It did what they said it'd do- a JRPG with eight different stories. It just didn't try to do much beyond that.

>implying you will get to retire
Good goy keep waging. Freedom is just around the corner.

Yes, though the 'true ending' final boss was a bit of a kick in the dick.

enjoyable but could have been better

for me it's H'aanit

Attached: [email protected] (1000x1000, 236.33K)

>young lady Prim ToT

>Had to make an op setup because I can't be bothered to sit through 20min of trash boss to attempt the true final boss once
is that not the point? I reached it, got my ass handed to me, rethought my party composition, got to him again, got my ass handed to me by the second phase and refined my party once again to finally beat it the third time.
I saw the boss rush as a way to encourage players not to bang their head against the boss but to actually think about how to make a good team that is able to beat the boss without just luck

No. Story is pretty weak for most of the characters and isn't anything special. The fact that none of the characters interact inside the cutscenes if its not part of their story, makes the cast feel lifeless. Even Trials of Mana 30 years ago had characters make comments in cutscenes that weren't part of their personal story so why Octopath can't do it is baffling. For example, at one point Primrose gets stabbed while the villain walks away. You can have Olberic there and he won't even twitch. He'll let the guy walk off screen and he won't even make a shocked face as a woman bleeds to death in front of him. Just garbage.

The gameplay is also weak. The break system reminds me of Press Turns, except one sided so its unfair towards enemies. You can break them and get multiple turns but bosses can't break you back. Multiclassing is pretty limited and there are only 4 advanced jobs so 4 of your characters at endgame don't get an upgraded job. It feels underbaked.

The entire game prey's on people's nostalgia with the HD 2D art but if you actually look back at the era of games that it is homaging, it does everything worse.

I guess, but when I got strong enough to one shot every trash boss the same setup was strong enough to skip final boss mechanics.
Phase two died before it could ever be a threat.