Can 2D be liminal?

can 2D be liminal?

Attached: mario 3 beta 001.jpg (569x361, 44.65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/2jw2eAIW8sU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

can it be what?

Zoomer buzzword that basically means "empty place that has a vaguely creepy atmosphere". Like an empty parking lot at night or an empty unfurnished office complex. For some reason this concept makes a lot of Any Forums boomers seethe with rage

If anyone claims to be afraid of this I'll hit them with a fucking fruit cart.

what about now?

Attached: mario 3 beta 001 - Copy.jpg (569x361, 39.46K)

What is it about liminal spaces that are so creepy? is it the fact that they're so empty, that we should be familiar with them and yet they're so unnerving? To the intelligent, they are almost whimsical, to the stupid, they're rage inducing, saying insipid lines like "STUPID ZOOMER CREEPYSHIT" etc

Attached: 1429821070052.jpg (1800x1200, 304.37K)

I'd say they give you the feeling that something could jump out at you anytime, that it can't be completely empty there has to be something there somewhere.

I'm convinced all Zoomies afraid of "le spooky dooky liminal backroom" shit are just pic related

Attached: Filtered by Forest.png (1076x1320, 1.64M)

They just sort of remind me of creepy dreams I've had. In the dreams I'm someplace I know but there are no people there. It's like I know there should be people but there aren't any. Then I get that weird sensation of an evil presence that sometimes leads into sleep paralysis. That's what these images sort of stir but no so intensely as a dream and without the feeling of presence.

yes.

Attached: mario 3 tower.jpg (373x300, 71.95K)

Liminal deez nutz!!
HA! GOT EEEM

>For some reason this concept makes a lot of Any Forums boomers seethe with rage
Because it's not scary, it's comfy.

Attached: FQdoyFsX0AU_9X-.jpg (828x1104, 147.56K)

SMB3 actually has an almost completely empty level in one of the later worlds. One of the fortresses only has Boom Boom at the end and the entire rest of the stage has no enemies despite having set-ups for Roto Discs and those Boos that hide in platforms.

Megaman's rather liminal.

no, but it can be linear

Now that I think of it yeah

Attached: smanstage.png (240x210, 6.52K)

Sonic 3's carnival night zone.
Sandopolis is frightening, but carnival night is eerie.

zoomies are so hypersocialized that even the mere glimpse of an unpopulated area makes them have panic attacks

>liminal spaces aren't scary
youtu.be/2jw2eAIW8sU

Attached: sonic springyard.jpg (450x450, 51.71K)

kek are you actually scared by this? it looks comfy

Outside of the fact that the building is probably going to collapse at any moment and somebody planted a fuck ton of grass and plants in every inch of this building for some reason, this is comfy.

The first part of Super Metroid up until the first encounter with space pirates is kinda "liminal" I guess...
Ceres station being fully functioning in the main menu, then in-game there's corpses and burst pipes everywhere and you're all alone knowing at the very least the Metroid has escaped.
Then on Zebes you're going through areas that are full of life and excitement in the original Metroid, like Tourian and Brinstar, but now they're barren and lifeless save for a security camera turning on, which gives the impression that there IS something else here, possibly dangerous, that knows you're there.
Both parts are all about "others used to be here, but arent anymore so I'm alone and maybe in danger" and that's what everyone says "liminal" is supposed to mean

In my estimation, what people find unsettling of liminal spaces is that they are areas that by all rights should be well-populated yet are not, leading to a feeling that by being there you are trespassing and thus in danger. To be properly unsettling, I believe it’s necessary the area be well-lit and in working order, as though people were indeed there but simply disappeared suddenly. I do not find an an abandoned mall to be “scary” in the same way I find a functioning yet empty hospital wing or office unsettling.

Attached: LiminalMaBalls.png (750x469, 181.34K)

>Greetings. I'm a nineteen year old agender human. I've lived in Manhattan my entire life, and I really have no desire to leave.
>Since I was young when I've been taken to rural/suburban areas I've started crying. There's something about them that makes me really hate them, they feel so boring and lonely, and whenever I'm there I get worried that I'm not going to be able to leave, or sad because I know they exist. Even now that I'm an adult I just start crying or panicking when I'm there.
>This isn't actually that big problem. I'm someone who really enjoys cities and urban life. I enjoy the culture here, and all ofbthe people here and all the interesting things to do and see. I enjoy being able to walk around without a vehicle, and enjoy being able to not worry about what people think of me (also the lack of extreme transphobia is good). Even if I wasn't afraid of rural areas, I still wouldn't want to leave the city.
>Its interesting, all of my friends from high-school who left the city for college seem to be quite upset/regretful, I've even known a few people who dropped out/transfered because ofț it. So I guess I'm luckily because I wasn't able to apply for colleges outside of New York for obvious reasons.
>I guess it's just weird thinking that if I leave a small portion of the world I'll become uncontrollably upset. It's not really a problem, it's just... not something a lot of people understand. I Geuss it's just another personal oddity from being on the spectrum.
>I usually don't like nature in general. I sometimes fantasize on living on a planet wide city like holy terra/croissant/ravnica, or want all life on earth to be replaced with machines. Nature just seems so deadly and alien to me.
>Anyone əlse realate to any of this? Or just anyone have any thoughts or opinions or advice on this? I'd love to hear what you guys thīnk in the comments.

Attached: afraidOfNature.jpg (640x1135, 173.68K)

Subliminal minus the sub.