There is never going to be another good MMO, is there?

There is never going to be another good MMO, is there?

Attached: 1650385007859.jpg (811x1169, 101.14K)

Never was, never will be. MMOs were "good" because you were young and easily amused. They will never be good again.

Just play the only good MMO out right now, FFXIV.

Probably not. Everything that made old MMOs good was a product of earlier internet and culture and those times are long gone.

Not until they become single player with optional coop.

MMOs were more of a 2000's fad honestly. People are too reclusive and cliquey to join MMOs for fun.

probably yes, and thats a good thing because mmos were never good and sucked the life and money out of their players

Play OSRS.

Attached: 0bcb78b18027871662c37714b8ac0cca.png (243x336, 50.31K)

they were good until autists minmaxed the fun out of them

>Play RS/RSC back when it came out
>Made the switch to RS2
>Stop playing RS2 right around when construction was added
>Finally go back this year
>OSRS is lacking 'something' but can't put my finger on it
>Try RS3
>Turn on autocombat
>Feels like how I remember RS2 since nostalgia made the graphics be remembered better
>The time savers like ore boxes are wonderful
Been loving every second of RS3, only thing I'm pissed about is I don't have my old account so don't get the 20yr vet cape or get to keep my party hats.

You will never be 14 again

not until they bring back CC as a key component of gameplay again.

or just create a shitload of frontloaded content to stagger in after launch.

WoW 2 on Xbox will be good

Albion Online is the only good one.

Its not good at all.

Is there any MMO out there that isn't just a glorified skinner box?

Eh, Ashes of Creation might surprise everyone. Other than that probably not.

I frankly think the use of the overly stigmatized term "Skinner box" is kinda off putting. I don't think it is proper to apply it so liberally. The point of a Skinner box is to use enjoyment for the sake of conditioning. Games aren't really conditioning us to do anything. The delayed gratification that skinner boxes use are actually a very effective method of delivering enjoyment, but that model itself does not a Skinner box make.

Dofus

WoWbabby detected

We've been over this countless times.
Information saturation has destroyed this fundamental basis of the mmo genre.

Gone are the days of a group of players figuring out a puzzle, an enemy, a quest, etc. Exploration is dead as well.

Until technology evolves to dome kind of Ghost in the Shell deep dive shit, the genre is dead a desecrated.

Oh well.

>Aren't conditioning us
It's a subscription game, the point is pretty obviously to create an addicting grind to hold onto player engagement.
It became so stigmatized because the more monetized games become the more dangerous these tactics become especially to impressionable minds that have even less impulse control.

Eve Online is still the king of all sandbox MMO's

>Games aren't really conditioning us to do anything
Are you retarded? They are conditioning you to pull out your credit card. Predatory monetization is plainly obvious in just about every MMO out there, whether it be in the form of "convenience" where you pay money to skip content (creating a perverse incentive among the developers to make content you *want* to skip) or full on pay to win where spending money straight up makes your game character more powerful.

Even in the most benign cases (subscription based, no p2w), they want to ensure you renew your sub.

Only a fully randomized world and dungeons could solve this problem.

MMO's absolutely do use this principle, though; I recall design documents for WoW explicitly mentioning it. I agree that it's too liberal to apply it to the entire medium of video games, but MMORPGs particularly use unlocks in this way.

fuckin' typos godamn it.
I don't think you know what a Skinner Box is.

I think a better term would be "Pavlovian Mindfuck".

why can't they just make the combat and gameplay fun