Why are arpgs so boring, at a certain point all the lootshitting gets tiring

why are arpgs so boring, at a certain point all the lootshitting gets tiring

Attached: arpg.png (2120x1185, 1.93M)

it's a genre for brain damaged addicts

I call them "Rate Over Time games". All progress can be summarized as a Rate of increase, either EXP, or some resource, or Cash Shop crystals, or Gatcha pulls, or whatever the main psychological justification for the gameplay loop is. The actual gameplay therefore is a formality, it's busywork.
Rate games seem fun until you realize that they are not really games, they are chores at best or at worse they are pathologically manipulative and poisonous.

t. I’m gay

It was always a shitty genre made redundant by the souls series.

based

Because Diablo 2 came out decades ago and nothing has surpassed it.

it's a failed genre that was wildly successful for reasons mostly antithetical to the genre itself, it can all be blamed on d2. there are no good modern arpgs, just clicker/idle style progress over time shit. most are f2p for gambling addicts with cash shops or one-off short things like van helsing where it's more of a story pastiche with some rhythm gameplay to it than an actual loot-based arpg.
the correct way to make a good arpg is to make d2 but that's already been done. nobody has made a modern iteration of it, nobody has properly aped what it did right and it's likely that nobody ever will.

I have 4500 hours in Grim Dawn

I had fun with inquisitor martyr

Starting to believe this, these games are completely worthless time sinks. There is no good plot to get engrossed with, no big challenge, nothing to learn, you just mindlessly kill hordes of stuff to get a small dopamine release when you get gear with a stat increase.

All you really need to revitalize the genre is to put more focus on encounters and combat than loot and levels, the latter are just a way to make the former more interesting after all.

This. But it applies to all vidya, not just arpgs.
>your vidya is a time waster
>mine isn't
lmao

how? it's such a slog

>I call them "Rate Over Time games". All progress can be summarized as a Rate of increase, either EXP, or some resource, or Cash Shop crystals, or Gatcha pulls, or whatever the main psychological justification for the gameplay loop is. The actual gameplay therefore is a formality, it's busywork.
>Rate games seem fun until you realize that they are not really games, they are chores at best or at worse they are pathologically manipulative and poisonous.

Correct.

The action isn't the point in ARPG's, neither is the roleplaying. It's watching the numbers get higher. Getting better stuff is the actual point of the game. The creator of Diablo even admitted as much. It's one of the easiest ways to make a game satisfying, they're meant to be timesinks were you get overly invested in the game due to the sunk cost fallacy. Clickers and gatcha games are basically the same thing, they're just more honest about it.

Attached: Screen_Shot_2017_09_12_at_4.02.24_PM.png (1400x788, 1.1M)

>it's another WHY DO YOU LIKE ORANGES WHEN APPLES TASTE BETTER EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE episode

>But it applies to all vidya, not just arpgs.
not in the special loot pinata way of arpgs

>The action isn't the point in ARPG's, neither is the roleplaying. It's watching the numbers get higher.
Applies to all forms of RPGs though.

Its fallen into the WoW trap, but instead its the Diablo trap. Developers dont go out with the intent of making a fun ARPG, they go out with the intention to copy Diablo and throw on a gimmick or two. Until people start calling Diablo what it is, outdated archaic shit game design that was dated only a few years after launch we're doomed to the same loot grinding, 0 depth combat no challenge shit that is Diablo clones.

>Your vidya is more of a time waster than my vidya
It doesn't really matter.
If you put in 100s of hours in one ARPG, or 100s of hours in a wide variety of vidya, all that time is equally wasted.

In that case anything is a time waster, even eating and doing manual labor.

>Applies to all forms of RPGs though.

Only Nu-RPG's which has slowly chipped away the roleplaying aspect for mainstream appeal. See: Elder Scrolls and how a series that used to have actual choice and consequence got reduced down to every player being a stealth-archer archmage dragonborne.

>even eating and doing manual labor.
kek, you need to eat to survive.
Doing manual labor earns you cash, which you need for survival, and improves your health.
I guess you could go full on nihilist and claim everything is meaningless, but even then I doubt you could equate vidya with actual productive activities.

i just really hate randomized loot. lazy bullshit

Number crunching and power progression were always a core part of RPGs, even back to the earliest pen and papers.
Cope.

Babies first encounter with nihilism, go appreciate absurdism.

Shit genre for people with autism.

no it isn't. some people use video games to relieve stress. You are just retarded and most likely underage

>I have no argument
okay user

Its almost like different people like different things and taste change, especially when you get literally 2 decades of ARPG clones.

Cope, your hobby is a waste of time

Cant argue with someone who doesn't understand the argument. Learn more, lurk more, come back later newfag.

>no it isn't. some people use video games to relieve stress
>I'M RELIEVING STRESS
>I GOOM 12 HOURS A DAY TO RELIEVE STRESS
>IT'S NOT A TIME WASTER
>NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
lol
lmao even
whatever helps you cope bud

Attached: 73c.jpg (600x556, 27.62K)

what's even worse is that majority of them are hold left/right click
maybe refresh a buff or debuff here and there and thats it
only lost ark has decent combat; and yes it's also arpg (with mmo elements), because it mimics mmorpg combat and not shitty arpg

>still not an argument
If you have one, state it faggot
Modern RPGs in general have become more focused on crunch, gear, grinding, etc.
But all of that was part of the experience right from the beginning. That's my only point.

because when we add actual complicated systems that doesnt resort to making one action as OP as possible, you bitch about it being too hard.

Attached: 20210831060439_1.jpg (1920x1080, 548.46K)

ITT: People who have only played Diablo clones who have never played an actual ARPG in their entire life