Japanese Horror

Just finished pic related. Are the other ones better? If I wanted to play 2, is the Wii version or Xbox version better? I enjoyed this game though I felt it was too easy and I also wish there were more areas. Do all of these games use the same mission based format? It just felt like a cheap way to pad out the game here. I really liked the overall aesthetic though. Rural Japan just seems like a setting rich and perfect for horror. Fatal Frame is the series that comes to my mind first when I think about Japanese styled horror, but are there other good ones out there? Obviously I'm not referring to stuff like Silent Hill/Resident Evil. I've heard Siren is really good, but I'm not sure if that is referring to the original or the newer one that came out.

Also I've seen those indie Japanese short horror games like Convenience Store all over the place. The aesthetic is great, but are they actually worth playing? They always struck me as streamerbait games.

Attached: capsule_616x353.jpg (616x353, 62.19K)

Bump, would be a shame to see a thread like this fall into complete irrelevant.
I don't know if Corpse Party would be your kind of game but it's Japanese and pretty horrific, altough a little too cheesy and exaggerated with the guro sometimes. However I believe you will enjoy the effort they put in the audio design

Attached: SeikoProfile.png (492x858, 293.99K)

I strongly recommend you to play the series from the first one because all 3 first game are kinda linked (particularly visible in the third one). That said, i recommend you to play Wii version of crimson butterfly, it has a few more areas than the PS2 original.

Crimson butterfly was the Peak of the series imo. Mask of the lunar eclispe feels like a spin-off and maiden of the shrine maiden feels like a reboot of the third.

For Siren, let me tell you. I am an horror game professional since very long, and it's the only game I never managed to finish (i never use walkthrough) but it's a good game, just hard af, especially when you want to also go the alternate chapters endings

>Do all of these games use the same mission based format? It just felt like a cheap way to pad out the game here
The previous games are chapter-based. It's not that different because the chapters still generally lock you into specific areas or change the same area depending on how far in the game you're in, but you do have a persistent inventory throughout the whole game as opposed to your loadout changing each mission, so it does still feel more cohesive. FF3 is the closest in structure to 5 in that you travel between your home base and the haunted place while the others have you mostly stay in one place (like a mansion or a village) and you start the next chapter where the previous one ended as opposed to back at your base.

Fatal Frame 1, 2 and 3 are all good. 2and 3 are the best. It's a toss up which is better. While the Wii version of 2 is a faithful remake, it's still Japanese only and might be a pain to set up, with the addition of being an emulated Wii game if you do. But it has additional content that even the Xbox version of 2 doesn't have.

The early Fatal Frame games play like a traditional Survival Horror games from the time, with the big gimmick being the camera obscura based combat. It's not really structured the same as Black Water, but more like classic Resident Evil.

The Xbox versions of FF 1 & 2 are "director's cuts" compared to the PS2 releases, they both have additional content or QoL adjustments, but 2 definitely has more added to it. 3 only ever had the PS2 release, so don't bother looking for another version of it.

>While the Wii version of 2 is a faithful remake, it's still Japanese only and might be a pain to set up
It came out in Europe as Project Zero 2 Wii Edition. It can be found in English no problem.

I'm not a guro person. While I don't explicitly hate gore, I'm not a fan of using it for shock factor and I don't exactly want to just see a bunch of schoolgirls decapitated or something. Part of what I found endearing about Maiden of the Black Water was how it was almost completely without blood or gore at all. I thought it was cool that they didn't abuse that crutch. Same with jump scares. It had maybe three in the whole game.

Also do you ever fight the Tall Woman? She has attack animations as far as I can tell from the photo mode, but I don't remember ever fighting her. I just remember seeing her throughout the game. Is it a harder difficulty thing?

2's Xbox version has the most content. Wii version is a remake, but it really doesn't do much new, it's just a graphic overhaul with some shitty motion control shenanigans here and there. Try that one later on. I recommend playing them in release order tho.

She can show up randomly in a few places, and I'm pretty sure I played on normal. I think she does have at least one scripted, but optional appearence. When you're walking along the road leading into the tunnel, the phone booth might ring. If you approach it to answer it, she'll appear next to it.

How awkward would it be to emulate it on PC and just play it with a gamepad? Is it tied heavily to the Wii motion control nonsense? I've never tried emulating the Wii so I'm not sure how well it works. I guess I could just use mouse and keyboard too. I've tried researching Xbox vs Wii and surprisingly people seem pretty split on which version is better. Both sound good so I guess which one has the better atmosphere/aesthetic overall? Which one is scarier? Part of me feels like I might as well just go with the Xbox version because then it would make playing 3 on PS2 not feel as weird, but I'm not sure.

Also how bad is the English voice acting in the older games? I'm debating just emulating them to have Japanese voices, but if the voice acting isn't too tacky I wouldn't mind it. I just hate immersion breaking low budget B movie comedic voice acting.

Play the PS2 version of 2 because Wii has an over the shoulder camera while the original has fixed cameras, and it ain't a classic horror game without fixed cameras

There's a scene in the shop where she is right in front of you bending down, but then she vanishes. I feel like there must be some way to fight her. On a somewhat unrelated note, I like how the Tall Woman originates as a modern creepypasta but has managed to become so prevalent in such a small timespan. She's in this game, she's in RE8, and I see fanart and homages to her all the time elsewhere.

I've played both the remake and FF4 on Dolphin and you can bypass the motion stuff with your controller's gyro. Of course, you could also just use M+K. I also tried the remake on Xbox's retroarch, using an xbox controller, and had no issues whatsoever. Only drawback is that both these games are stuck at 30fps. I think there's a Gecko patch for one of these, but never checked if it worked.

>let's give the two girls two endings each and the guy four endings
>let's have all their last missions be in one giant long boring mission for no reason
>let's then force the players to replay the entire mission just to get different endings
what were they thinking? this was such a lame way to finish the game.

I have no idea honestly, never tried emulating Wii games. They're used pretty extensively, as they are in FF4 which only came out on Wii in Japan and thus has to be emulated or played on a hacked Wii with a fan translation. I assume the emulated version is compatible with a Wii Remote, but I don't know about regular controls.

The main difference between the first three games on PS2/Xbox and 4/the remake of 2/5 is that the first three have fixed camera angles a la RE1/2/3 while the latter three have a dynamic third-person camera. You decide which one is scarier for you.

She's just a jumpscare in the shop but you can indeed fight her if you meet her while on the mountain, I've done it.

>best girl
>obviously loves the male protag
>ready to marry or stay coworkers forever
>NEVER acknowledged meaningfully ever
>completely forgotten in the endgame
>not a single ending even brings her up
tomboys just cant catch a break

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 52.31K)

SIREN by Toyama Keichiro is one of the most unsettling & atmospheric of the survival horror genre, even considering its nebulous approach to progression. Extremely unsettling and you'll always filled with anxiety while playing it. It is THE horror game.

Attached: The Pillars of the Gaming Industry.jpg (1280x670, 525.35K)

Just replay them

Why was 1 ported buth not the others?

Well your pic and 4 are the worst games, so yes the other are better.
I really like 1. The story doesn't live up to its potential but the gameplay and atmosphere is pretty great.