When will we see the rise of Emergent Gameplay as the primary form of storytelling in video games? Sure...

When will we see the rise of Emergent Gameplay as the primary form of storytelling in video games? Sure, some games have a great written story but as an interactive medium there is potential for so much more.

Attached: 1591915043620.png (861x889, 952.26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/Nishio_EE/status/1313071563852312576
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't think you understand what that means.

when the development of games don't get abandoned after every release and get built upon

I know lots of words.

Without a human to act as a DM? AI won't be there for a while. First expect to see text based or tabletop games with an AI DM, then a few years after that people will incorporate them into full games. But first expect to see pseudo emergent games where they pre-define a bunch of interchangable story elements and have very basic dialog options. Imagine no Man's Sky planet generation but for quests. When it finally does work it'll be always online because the DM' AI will need to be trained on data from everyone's play session.

AI would mean that is not true Emergent Gameplay, OP is a retard and so are you.

You either don't know what emergent gameplay is, or you don't understand what AI is.

why loli eat book?

This was meant for

I've used machine learning for my work. You have not.

Okay pythonjeet, AI does not fit anything Emergent Gameplay stands for.

>primary form of storytelling in video games
Because "look at all this storywriting we didn't do, go nuts" is never going to sell a game to people who want a narrative-focused experience.
This is assuming you meant "emergent narrative" rather than "emergent gameplay," otherwise your query about storytelling doesn't make any sense.

Attached: 1563154078971.jpg (288x300, 15.02K)

What do you think emergent gameplay is? Be specific and don't dodge the question. Prove you aren't a clueless retard.

Emergent Narrative is delivered by Emergent Gameplay.

If you mean emergent narrative, because games as they are right are fucking hard to write due to how long their screenplay is. Adding emergent elements would make it nigh impossible. Pic related is the script for Cyberpunk 2077 for localization purposes.
twitter.com/Nishio_EE/status/1313071563852312576

Attached: Ejj3oF3VgAAZp_v.jpg (1478x1108, 235.28K)

developers can barely handle giving players two choices as it is now.

>The year is 2032
>The Dialogue Wheel now has advanced to the point that it labels which option wil advance the story instead of trapping the player in a loop

>Emergent Gameplay as the primary form of storytelling in video games?
I don't get what you mean by this. There's plenty of old pc games that tried to do interesting things with emergent gameplay, Looking Glass Studios were practically the kings of it back in the 90s. But you look at something like Thief 1 or 2 and there's still an actual story that the devs wrote, that's told to you in cutscenes in between missions, that you can read about in notes scattered throughout the levels, that's told via environmental design and so on an on. It's just that you can bugger up the stealth so thoroughly it leads to a completely emergent cock-up cascade, or you can even use the games' different systems to come up with a completely original solution that the designers didn't intend and it makes every playthrough of Thief unique. It's just that it's still going to be the same overall story at the end of it all. You're still gonna be Garrett, you're still going to steal the Eye from the Haunted Cathedral, Constantine's always going to betray you and so on.

So I don't get what you mean by emergent gameplay as the primary form of storytelling. You can have emergent gameplay and make it the focus of your game. You're still going to have to write an actual story. A bunch of emergent behavior from different systems isn't going to make fucking Shakespeare, even if you've got a million different interacting systems.

Attached: immersive reality.png (1170x905, 257.71K)

>It's still only a couple words instead of the full line
>still end up assaulting people on accident

Daggerfall?

Attached: 3027651-3022128-screen+shot+2018-05-19+at+1.58.58+pm.png (914x442, 304.82K)

If I have good AIs that interact with each other and the world in interesting/realistic/neat ways I appreciate it more than good story. It is almost a story in itself when cool events organically happen. And if you have that you can probably just have a set of predicaments that can randomly occur and let it roll. Could work in a fallous style game maybe idk