Did newer Monster Hunter games ruin what the series was about?

Did newer Monster Hunter games ruin what the series was about?

In the Freedom/Ultimate era, monsters were as fast as they are today, while the hunter was limited to realistic human movement. Winning was about

In the World/Rise era, the hunter can literally fly around like Goku, heal through magic bugs and slaughter monsters with a 99 hit charge blade anime combo.

It feels more like a generic beat-em-up between equals than a smart David vs dumb Goliath simulator.

tl;dr: old good new bad

Attached: monster hunter tigrex.jpg (1280x720, 110.86K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5I5n2dP_FRA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Winning was about
... smart positioning, strategic planning and exact timings.

monster hunter's core identity is dead

This is realistic though. No matter what it is, we will find out exactly how it works, what makes it tick, and we will metaphorically or literally stab it in just the right place so that it dies. And we will watch it die, examine the corpse, and get better at killing the next one.

When the world flooded, we built boats
When the world froze, we built fires
When the final trumpet of heaven is sounded and the beast of the apocalypse rises from the pits of hell, we will kill it, and move on.

>This is realistic though
the way hunters can move post-world? no

3rd Gen was the last good Gen.

Attached: 1483478840724.jpg (476x393, 32.02K)

>realistic
>flex after drinking anything
>can only roll in 4 direction when attacking, sometimes less depending on the weapon
>weapon bouncing off a monster's ass sends you recoiling for 2 whole seconds
fuck off bro

>Did newer Monster Hunter games ruin what the series was about?
Yes. Old MH games are inherently different games than the newer ones. Slower, more meticulous, more about planning and prepping for your hunt.

That said, I will go back and play MH Freedom Unite until Sunbreak comes out because I like both styles of gameplay.

Attached: 1606778904611.png (632x424, 390.6K)

Idk I beat whole of FU with just unsheathe spam from GS, it's not as great as you think it is.

where my oldfags at?

Attached: Monster_Hunter_Coverart.png (256x363, 188.43K)

>Did newer Monster Hunter games ruin what the series was about?
Kinda, World introduced
>mantles
>cats reivivng you
>running and dodging while healing
>restocking items
>hyper armor to go with mantles and new moves
>releasing hard content months after release
>reduces hit knockbacks
>way more mobility and position microcorrecting
>claggers, wall banging, turf wars, cinematic traps
>max/ancient potion spam
>presentation prioritized over gameplay with shit like Kush's wind spam and ramps everywhere
At least Rise somehow managed to reorganize it into something sort of fun. But yeah, classic MH is dead (don't forget there will be remasters soon, though)

Attached: unfiltered fun.webm (480x270, 2.92M)

>sometimes less depending on the weapon
that's extremely realistic that holding a weapon bigger than yourself limits your evasion capabilities

>i played the game the same boring way the entire time and it wasn't THAT good
no shit

>(don't forget there will be remasters soon, though)
What will those even be like though?

The new games ruined the old games for me, they feel too clunky.

The old games ruin the new games for me, they feel too casualized.

World ruined my enjoyment for both old and new games of my once favorite series.

Attached: cat suicide.jpg (1024x681, 95.48K)

List of things that have made positioning, the core focus of Monster Hunter's combat, less important:

>Mounting
>Being able to move while healing
>Monsters getting exhausted and giving you a free 20 seconds of damage while they stand there
>Various added "Super" moves from large AOEs to insta counters, to anime jump slashes
>Plethora of added guard points and counters to move sets
>Monster hitzones being generalized across the board and nothing unique like Diablos' tail weakzone to shot damage of the past
>Turf wars and environmental traps giving you free access to any point on the monster for 30 seconds
>Multiple AI companions to distract the monster
>Auto dodging mantle and "Press X to use Item to avoid an entire monster's gimmick" items
>Vaulting and jumping attacks

I'm waiting for that one nigger to bring up Monster Hunter Dos.

whatever, i dont want to go back to the days of doing a forced animation after healing and plesioths bodycheck hitting through several timezones

ah the good old days where you couldn't charge the GS swings and it only had 3 attacks.

Attached: MonsterHunterFreedom-NorthAmericanVersion-FrontCover.jpg (247x421, 39.45K)

I remember back in FU you could make monsters like Tigrex and Diablos get stuck as they tried to ram you if you made them ram into a wall, giving you opportunity to get free damage. It was a nice detail and I missed that in World.

>Wahhh QoL improvements bad!

Hammer still positions all the time in Rise, don't care about your best boy weapons

It's still in Rise. I had it happen once on tje desert map. Its just that you'll never need to set it up or use it because of the 90 other ways you can bully the monsters now. Why would focus all that time on baiting a certain attack and making it hit the wall when you can just invincibility anime slash/dodge/block. Add wire bugs and now you're just way to strong for all the monsters.

I liked how 3U played the most.
I wish they'd port it to PC and other newer systems.

I meant that it's not that high IQ of a game some people seem to imply it is. It's more of an rpg than an action game, your gear matters a lot more than nowadays.

thats fair

I fell in love with MH because the creatures were fantastical but the world itself was grounded
hunters being able to perform insane shit on top of them already being superhuman is just dumb
youtube.com/watch?v=5I5n2dP_FRA