Started playing it in the evening yesterday, I'm still stuck on the first level. (The mansion)

Started playing it in the evening yesterday, I'm still stuck on the first level. (The mansion)

Lol, I got into the Resident Evil series because RE4 looks very cool. Before playing it I wanted to play the first few titles. But am I just a double digit IQ brainlet if I can't get past the first level, is this series too puzzly for me

Attached: bio1-share-global.png (1200x630, 324.86K)

The puzzles are not that bad. Try to go into rooms you have not been to yet and explore them. Most of the time the issue is thatyou missed something. The game is pretty straight foward. You can do it.

Without a guide and without being familiar with RE games don’t feel bad if it takes you some time to figure things out, the 1st game is definitely the most puzzle heavy game compared to the later titles. Once you understand what the games wants from you it becomes easier, just have fun with it, REmake is a classic.

this

t. played re4 as my first re and loved it and love REmake gcn a ton too

Honestly, I got stuck because I found it so spooky. Doubly so once I found out if you don't dome your zombie once you down it, it'll come back as a crimson head.
Nearly gave me a heart attack.

thanks, the solution to my problem in the mansion was literally the ONE thing I was too lazy to try because I thought it wouldn't work, I'll try to continue, the atmosphere looks sick, no way I could drop it over puzzles

>I'm still stuck on the first level. (The mansion)
It's not a "level". It's THE game world.
Yes, classic RE games, and survival horror titles in general, are more like Metroidvania-lite adventure games. You will be mapping out the same areas and slowly unraveling its mysteries, all while fighting againts monsters and limited supplies alike. And yes, puzzle-solving is like THE thing in classic survival horror; even combat can be seen as a sort-of 3D puzzle.

It was not before RE4 that the series turned into more shooter-y direction it never recovered from.

Now, I would HIGHLY recommend playing the 1996 RE1 before the REmake. The latter was made with veteran players in mind, and does change quite a lot of things to keep the old fans on the edge of their seat. Skip the OG, and you won't be able to witness these cunning edits and expansions.

Either way, do start with JILL VALENTINE.
Her route's better written, and literally more newbie-friendly. More inventory space, lock-pick that lets you open more routes earlier on, and some academic skills that let you solve certain puzzles instantly.
Chris is literally the OG game's "hard mode"; a tank with tighter pockets and more detours to take.

Finally, if you did not choose the "Mountain climbing" difficulty, you are literally playing the EASY mode. The original GC version of REmake only got two difficulty options, but the HD re-release added third one, which is literally VERY EASY.
This has made lots of newbs fall into the trap of thinking that the early choices would correspond with easy-normal-hard, when in reality it's very easy - easy - normal. Hard mode is an unlockable bonus.

Attached: REmake vs RE1 PS1 update.jpg (1024x825, 409.48K)

RE1 has a pretty rough intro though compared to any other RE. In the sense that if you don't go to locations in a very specific order and are trying to loot everything you see, you will get stuck with a full inventory so that you cannot pickup the key item you need to progress, but you also can't dump items in a chest because you do not have access to a chest yet without progressing. I'm not sure if I should consider that bad design or not. This problem only occurs in the very beginning though, but RE1 is the most difficult in the series IMO.

All that only applies to the REmake version, not the PS1 original. In fact, this is one of the REmake's biggest design flaws, as instead of allowing you to explore a lot of E. and W. side of the mansion right off the bat, fairly quickly gaining access to both Save Rooms, you instead need to go some very specific hoops on a pre-determined path first.

Other than that, I do agree. RE1 in all its variants is arguably the most challenging, and not the least because of its delightfully oldschool adventure-game design philosophy. The REmake is in many ways however much easier game than the 96 original and its variants.

jill is alright on a first playthrough as you said but on a replay with real survival shes horrible, she sucks ass at using guns so bad that its even more of an impact on that mode

>in the first level
drop it. you are too underage to play it

>Metroidvania-lite

>not a castlevania game
>not 2D
>not platformers
>very little equipment variation
>no abilities to unlock that help you traverse the world and clear obstacles/barriers, only keys/keycards
>no leveling, no stats

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is my favorite Metroidvania-lite-like-like

Like the other user says, that only applies to REmake. From the very start in RE1, you have access to both save rooms, both of which are located at the end of two (three as Jill) possible routes you could take from the start, with the other two routes being short dead ends (Dining Hall and Forest's body)

thanks this gave me a lot of info that I was wondering about

damn I didnt know something about a game that I was going 100% blind into... Wish I had you unfathomable wisdom, maybe some day

Also I will be playing as Chris as I can't stand playing as a chick, the game is getting more fun as I'm playing. Found the chest, fucking finally.

The mansion is the whole game pretty much not just the first level

yeah gender dysphoria from a videogames really sucks man

Jill can also immediately do the piano puzzle and get the Shield key. For some reason a lot of magazine guides back then told you to do it right at the beginning.

it's literally impossible due to obtuse controls, shitty camera, punishing inventory and designed to waste your time

Attached: 1617684124553m.jpg (1024x576, 60.03K)

There's some dumb shit at the start.

In the main stairwell that is a door you can open, even if it doesn't look like it. The room you encounter thebfiret zombie in has a second door in it that leads up, there you can grab the arrow, and take the arrowhead out.

What was it?

You're gonna have to read the notes you pick up, they even high lighted the important bits with green. puzzles have hints in re1 compared to other survival horror games (fuck you tormented souls)

Based retard

>NO MORE SLOTS??? AAAAAAAAAA SAVE ME HERBS

The item box storage exists for a reason

The key behind a book. I thought about examining that stupid book that has the mansion key a bit more but I was like eh... I'll do it later, that couldn't be the ONE THING I haven't tried, amirite?