Sony actually had their own Switch before Nintendo. Was it too before its time? What went wrong...

Sony actually had their own Switch before Nintendo. Was it too before its time? What went wrong? What could have been done better? Could they succeed if they tried again?

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (168x94, 9.75K)

SEGA Nomad and Turbo Express beat the Switch by a little over two decades

Those were portables with no tv outs. Even the PSP Go didn't have its dock or DS3 packed in with it, but its certainly closer than those two.

Attached: 1F47856B-DC80-4CAF-B527-D624651DD457.gif (200x141, 1.04M)

>Turbo Express

Wasn't this just a portable Turbo that sucked massive ass? I mean a handheld/console hybrid here not one or the other. Something where you can dock it and play on a tv. Kind of like that GBA connector Gamecube had.

>Designed solely for tiny handed nips
>16gbs on a digital only console
>Doesn't share memory sticks with the psp
>Games basically never went on sale with good ps1 titles costing upwards of $30
>Had to have a fucking ps3 to sync a controller to it

>>Games basically never went on sale with good ps1 titles costing upwards of $30
In what universe? Every PSX title I've seen/bought was $10 or less.

bitches

Attached: neo-geo-x-gold-limited-edition-box-back.png (1200x755, 1.43M)

Nobody cares about this Arabian gaming company no more.

>Had to have a fucking ps3 to sync a controller to it
How did that work?

You plug the go and the controller into the ps3's usb ports at the same time and there was a sync option in the go's menu.

>How did that work?
probably the same asinine way as doing it on PC or, god forbid, your ROOTED phone.
glad they changed their fucking minds when making the DS4.

gbs on a digital only console
More than the PSP (0). More than the Vita (0). More than the 3DS (1). Also did you forget, or more likely never know, that PSP games were fucking small filesize-wise? I was able to install a dickload of my digital PSP (and ripped UMD) games on that 16gb. Only bought a 16gb micro sd for the hell of it and to toss in PS1 games.

>>Games basically never went on sale with good ps1 titles costing upwards of $30
Tell that to the dozens of PS1 classics I got through sales averaging $1 to $3 each.

Vita has 1GB officially, though you can go higher, pushing almost 3GB, with mods even on the 1000. Obviously not 16GB, but the Vita didn't drop physical.

I stand correceted. I was under the impression that the Vita's built-in memory was largely for the OS and partly simply for game saves so Sony could go "see, you don't /need/ to buy a memory card!".

Anyway as someone who had a Go, dock and all, the Vita was such a massive disappointment design-wise that I never bought into that system. And it turned out to be for the best since the games never came.

>More than the PSP (0). More than the Vita (0). More than the 3DS (1).
Those weren't digital only and the Vita suffered for having expensive memory cards too.

>And it turned out to be for the best since the games never came.
I bought one secondhand and straight regret it, it has more use to me as a PSP than it does as a Vita. Whoever decided it shouldn't have L2/R2 buttons needs shot.

I believe all models have 4GB of general storage, and about 1GB of it actually used by the system.
Sony scummed 1k owners by advertising it as a feature for the 2k/TV when all it did was reserve a chunk of that 4GB and changed the partition layout. With homebrew you can not only get this partition on the 1000, but have finer control over its size (100MB ~ 2.7GB before autism).

It was too small and had ridiculously priced memory cards even for the time. With a grip and a memory card mod it's my favorite handheld.
Sony was foolish for scrapping their original Vita prototype.

Attached: pspgo.png (1017x749, 1.4M)

Remembered another shitty thing brought about in conjunction with the Vita. Sony updated the PS3 to allow it to download & transfer Vita games, like it could with PSP games. Nothing wrong with that, right? However for whatever dumbass reason - that update changed it so that you could no longer put uninstalled PSP/PS1 game "bubbles" into folders on your PS3. It was super neat & super convenient to store your PSP/PS1 games on your PS3 to quickly swap them in/out of your PSP (or Vita!) if you were ever hurting for space on it. But when they could no longer be in folders and instead one longass list of bubbles sitting on your PS3 XMB games tab well... that fucking sucked shit.

Oh man, I forgot it didn't have L2/R2. How the fuck did they ever go from the Go to the Vita? What were their designers on?

Needing homebrew to save the day doesn't really count but as always, bless homebrew.

And now that I remember it, scrapping their plan to allow you to turn in physical games for a digital copy was shitty. I had a whole stack of games that couldn't be played on the GO so I barely ever used it back when I was gifted it. I stuck to using my 1000 until it broke.