Oblivion

Explain to me why you believe Oblivion to be the best Elder Scrolls game. Is it the nostalgia factor?

From my perspective it feels like the most creatively bankrupt and generic setting and story from the entire series:
>Daggerfall
A story of mystery, investigation, and the paranormal - features multiple endings based on your choices.
>Morrowind
Follows the possible reincarnation of a legendary hero, the trials and tribulations of following a prophecy, and the slaying of an immortal demi-god.
>Skyrim (admittedly weaker than the other two)
The ancient legends of dragons, a legend rooted deep into the region's history, is found to be true; a prophecy of world destruction is stopped by the dragon-born of legend.
>Oblivion
Stopping a cult of Satanists from opening gates into hell.

Ironically Oblivion seems to be more two-dimensional than both Daggerfall and Morrowind, despite being graphically 'more' three-dimensional. The open-world aspect is done much better in every other game, mainly because of Oblivion's generic fantasy setting (with the only exceptions being Oblivion's above-average dungeons). The combat is pretty fun, but it has infinitely less variety than Daggerfall/Morrowind while being slightly better than Skyrim's combat, though I can't imagine combat initself to be a major factor in people liking Oblivion the most since combat is generally not that good when compared to other games.

Attached: oblivion.jpg (1920x1080, 614.54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=owsS1TcoJbo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

*since Elder Scrolls combat is generally not that good when compared to other games.

>>Oblivion
>Stopping a cult of Satanists from opening gates into hell.
Your bias is showing
The other games can easily be described in the same generic way

>Morrowind
Stop a cult of idol worshippers from coming back

>Skyrim
Stop a dragon from coming back to eat everything

>Daggerfall
Exorcise a ghost from the captial

>Explain to me why you believe Oblivion to be the best Elder Scrolls game.
it's simple. oblivion is the best base elder scrolls game because of one thing. you can have your weapon/shield in your hands and cast spells at the same time. no having to navigate a menu and unequip your sword in order to equip a spell to cast a heal/fireball/etc.

Attached: morrowind.gif (720x586, 1.18M)

zoomer post

You switch to your selected spell with a button press. It doesn't require going into the menu and unequipping a weapon. Readying spells and weapons are two separate buttons

You're looking for the 'R' key, friend.

>You switch to your selected spell with a button press.
unequipping your weapons to cast a spell still sucks. skyrim's aesthetic/ost is also soulless. and everything pre-oblivion contends for worst """"gameplay"""" of all time.

>Explain to me why you believe Oblivion to be the best Elder Scrolls game.
nobody does

The insta magic cast button is the only thing i like about Oblivion. Everything else about it either sucks or aged terribly.

And yet you can't delete spells so by default the spell system is already marginally worse than Morrowind, good luck sorting 20 variants of custom spells against each individual effect on the shitty console UI.

I do. Lots of other people do too. Any other opinion is ultrazoomerism or retarded boomercuck contrarianism/nostalgia. Oblivion is easily the best, by far.

>Morrowind
we're talking about the best elder scrolls GAME here, buddy. keyword: GAME. your visual novel/walking sim has no place in this conversation.

I'm sorry the best elder scrolls game doesn't have the best features, must suck being second place in game mechanics to a visual novel
Oblivionfags SAD

Daggerfall, morrowind, oblivion and skyrim are all good and bad for different reasons. I don't think any of them is "the best"

>muh generic setting and story
Doesn't stop me from enjoying Oblivion's amazing world.

Despite the examples of the respective stories, Oblivion still has the most generic fantasy setting out of the entire list.

Skyrim gives you a vast variety of spells (shouts), both utility and combat, that you can cast with your weapon/shield in your hands. That's not even including buffs/effects from racial traits or standing stones.

Oblivion was peak Soule.

youtube.com/watch?v=owsS1TcoJbo

>Oblivion is easily the best, by far.
How?

>>muh generic setting and story
>Doesn't stop me from enjoying Oblivion's amazing world.
Why? Is it because Oblivion does the generic fantasy setting much better than any counterparts? Is it because there aren't any other open world experiences offering a generic fantasy setting?

Because I actually really like the generic fantasy setting, the gameplay is just about the right balance of casual action amd rpg mechanics, it has my favorite questlines, and I enjoy its mods more than the others.

What are your favourite questlines and mods for Oblivion?

>Is it because there aren't any other open world experiences offering a generic fantasy setting?
That's part of it, but also that it's set in the elder scrolls universe. And I do like the towns and scenery, so it really doesn't matter if it's "generic". If you like it you like it.

I also love the way people talk even though it's retarded and unrealistic. They're just so polite, even when they're calling you scum, that it soothes my social autism.

It's the best because it was my first Elder Scrolls game.

I like the quests the best, nothing wrong with generic fantasy either made a good comfy sandbox

Midas Magic obviosuly. Questlines are a bit harder to narrow down because so many of them are good in my eyes; even just the minor ones of playing detective to find a painting, helping a town cure its invisibility problem, investigating a "vampire" death in Bruma, the haunted mansion im Anvil etc etc.

I should also note that Shivering Isles is also favorite expansion