Has piracy always been considered morally good or is it something that just picked up steam with normalfags recently?

Has piracy always been considered morally good or is it something that just picked up steam with normalfags recently?

Attached: 6.png (613x110, 7.15K)

speak english, zoomer

It has always been a way to access what you cannnot by normal means. Even during the 80s and 90s piracy allowed you to play games that weren't available by censorship laws, for example

I must add that I'm talking about my shit country. Now in relation to America I take you guys are very protective of your own media industry so there are lots of laws made to discourage piracy

Since when would it be considered morally good among normalfags
But if that is true for some individuals, then I could only imagine that this current age of not owning anything thanks to DRM and subscription services certainly helped.

I would not say it is universally considered morally good. There are tons of communities and mods that will ban you on sight for merely suggesting you have ever pirated something (nexus mod comes in mind, that nier automata mod)

Outside these niches piracy is merely tolerated

If anything it's the contrary. Back then piratefags were proud of pirating stuff. Nowadays I think both buyers and pirates just sort of respect each other.

Attached: 1632136298449.jpg (1080x1072, 89K)

Death to corporations and corporation-centric capitalism.

More poor people have access to the internet and a gaming rig (albeit old) than ever before. No one ever actually thinks piracy is good outside of a few rare instances. Most people extolling the virtues of piracy are coping because they know they are fucking up the system on some level even if only a seemingly insignificant percent. Either that or they are trolling. There are some benefits to it for society but most people I knew that are hardcore software pirates eventually stop doing it once they have money because the stress isn't worth it emotionally overtime or they are sick of random malware.

tons of laws, but in the 25+ years that I've been a pirate, nothing bad has happened.

Attached: 1652019134705.jpg (298x342, 98.3K)

>25+ years
Nobody is talking about CDRs VCDs or Warez you hyperbole spinning faggot

It became morally good about the time they killed physical media.
However, you should support site like GOG for allowing offline installers. Nowadays that’s about the only way you truly “own” games.

Talked to some zoomer about this, mentioned I pirated some game and he looked legit offended lol
He asked me "do you not have problem playing this game so much without paying for it?" I just said no(it was from EA) and he was absolutely falbberghasted

On another occasion I asked him why he didn't use an adblocker on his gayman laptop and he said he did it to support the content creators and didn't want to "steal" their revenue
We're not even a decade apart age wise but it sure feels like an entirely different genertion of goys

Attached: 1645493007281.gif (640x640, 3.06M)

Maybe I'm sick of overtly controlling copyright laws that exist solely to make money for corporations. Don't get me wrong, I don't think I'm entitled to every single game that's ever existed, and I never pirate modern games available on storefronts like PSN and Nintendo eshop, but I will not abide by a law that says I can't make a backup copy of my own media because something something I don't own the rights. Or how about the part of the law that says I can't share a steam account, or let my friend come over and watch netflix, or even romhack my own legally purchased games?

See how the law becomes immoral in how much control it takes away from the end user? Imagine if car companies made it illegal to paint your own car, and you had to pay them an inflated price for a selection of colors that only they get to choose from? I need only point to the situation with John Deere Tractors to give you an idea of how bonkers the whole system is.

>John Deere installs malware onto all pieces of machinery, locking features behind DLC subscription paywalls
>farmers have to literally jailbreak their products so they can use them normally
>John Deere is trying to sue them for control

And I don't need to get into the mess that is Right to Repair.

Yeah don't worry. Backups aren't what OP is talking about. Also in most cases backups are legal. It's just distribution of them is a legal grey area. No one is judging anyone for backups for media theyve paid for.

Companies like Nintendo have been trying to get them outlawed for a long time. MOst of their instruction manuals even say things like "backup copies aren't permitted, and you will be punished with the full force of the law for doing it" And considering they've been able to outlaw console modding, rentals, and even save editing (at least in japan) you know they're gonna strip away those tiny freedoms sooner or later.

Don't think anyone considers piracy to be morally good, just kind of a grey area. A 'crime' with no victim and it's not really a crime to begin with imo.
It's pretty douchy to pirate small indie games but they weren't going to buy the game in the first place anyways.

Attached: 0894658793.png (907x660, 1.06M)

No, piracy is morally just.

How so?

what they usually do is make an example of someone if they distribute. For most people at most you'll get a nasty email from your isp

It didn't pick up steam. None of my friends even know how to download a movie, let alone a game. They buy keys on eneba and play lol. I'm the only one who literally dl some stuff and every time it's brought up they ask me questions like I'm a wizard. I fully believe they are npcs.

i pirate shit every now and then, difference is im not some 3rd world nigger that shits all over the table announcing it

>fucking up the system on some leve
Yeah, fucking it up good.

I aint gonna buy some sixty dollar game and realize it's hot garbage. Fuck that two hour window of being able to return it. Devs will find a way to cheese their way around it.

>want to watch video on youtube
>5 ads play in the beginning
>forced to sit through them
>finally starts the video
>"sorry, we encountered a problem, reload the browser and try again"
>ads come back when you do

Or you could just "pirate" the video by installing an adblocker. You get the video instantly.

twitch actually does this with pre-load ads, it's disgusting

>exist solely to make money for corporations
>can't make a backup copy of my own media because something something I don't own the rights

If it's your 'own' media, then you can do with it whatever you want. But you don't own the media. You have a license to play it. It's not in your authority to tell what happens to the media.

If you make a painting, sure, you can decide what happens to it, but if a company decides it wants to sell a license to you where you're allowed to play the game, they get to do that, and you don't get to make a copy.

I'm okay with people making a personal copy, i.e. literally copying the files to back them up, but let's not pretend you own shit when you buy a game. It's not 'your' game.

I never considered that adblock is piracy, I suppose that makes sense. Not sure how people put up with youtube/twitch/whatever without an adblocker, it's really painful.

>Once they have money
Maybe the people you know. I have money and still pirate some shitty movies and drm riddled games. I vote with my wallet, most games are hot garbage. I bought every Yakuza game because I like them and think they are good. Other than that they can suck my dick I'm not paying 20 bucks for an early access titel even if it's indie, I'm not paying 6 bucks to rent the new spiderman fuck this shit.

I do have game pass ultimate but only because i converted Turkish gold to ultimate. I also have yt Premium but only because I pay 80c for my Indian subscription. I guess you get the point I'm not paying premium for shit that is shit ever.

>it's not "Your" game
Why not? Just because some idiotic law says so? Morally, I gave you my money, I'll do whatever the hell I want with my personal copy. I'll m odify it, I'll romhack it, I'll make a billion copies of it across a thousand hard drives. The onus is on them to argue that it's somehow harming their intellectual property. See, I know they can lobby a congressman and change the law as much as they want, like Disney has, but I see no reason why I should care.

That's the point I'm trying to get across. If the law is immoral, it is not my duty to blindly obey it. Like I said before, I know this doesn't give me the right to be like "GIBSMEDAT" and pirate everything under the sun, just that I have the moral right to question if a law is truly just.My tax dollars go into this system, so I deserve a say.

when will devs impliment block chain ownership of games