Why did Sega Saturn fail?

Why did Sega Saturn fail?

Attached: C32E630D-61F7-45D5-B31E-AFD0F059AF88.jpg (1567x2406, 1.56M)

i like to imagine after this picture was taken, a bunch of other girls came in and piled on top of her to tickle torture her all over

>[titillating images of video games]
>what went wrong?
I miss the 90s.

Too few western releases, became an autismal 2D arcade port machine.

Sega America didn't really support it and wasted money on stuff like 32x.

no sanic + bad marketing

A multibillion dollar corporation with experience in electronics and a good reputation, entered a industry whose main competitors source of revenue were solely arcades, home console gaming and toys.
Jump from 2D to 3D was extremely expensive Sega couldn't develop the console in the usual way either which was to cut down arcade hardware. Model 1,2 home console version would have been some kind of 1000usd machine .
Neither Sega nor Nintendo could afford to sell their hardware at a loss, Sony had a massive warchest they could throw money at marketing and publishers
Rest is history

>no sanic
Does this count?

Attached: Sjam-box-jap.jpg (600x600, 109.07K)

i mean technically yeah but imagine if instead of mario 64 nintendo just released super mario all stars with a 3D tech demo

no

SOJ

It cost more money and ran games worse. It pissed off every retailer by launching early and so was rarely stocked. It didn't have the games people were looking. Sega had already burned consumer goodwill with the Sega CD and especially 32x.

I know a family of autists who own a Sega Saturn with Sonic Jam. They keep them in storage. I told them their should keep them inside their home because the heat could damage them. They hardly cared and by the time they finally realized the value of what they own it was already too late. Shit was pretty much melted.
Worst part is they have plenty of of there old consoles and games in the same storage unit. They still just let the shit rot away. They're too autistic to bring it all in despite owning a huge 5 room house. They keep telling me that it'll all take up too much space.
Meanwhile they have a shitload of useless Funko and starwars/fallout shit cluttering their home. When I offer to take in their consoles and game's myself they tell me no because it's theirs and they don't trust anyone else to keep ahold of it.

Attached: 1651690270190.png (680x382, 259.55K)

>Funko
They're a lost cause user.

Continued let's look at the Japanese market.
The Japanese PlayStation reception was lukewarm unlike what zoomies think. More people wanted Saturn up to around 1997 but, Sega couldn't keep the production up and lost momentum. Then in 1997 in one fell swoop Sony killed both the Saturn and N64 with Final Fantasy 7.

Sega CD was mildly decent and successful, and 16 bit with redbook audio (Turbo Duo as well) may very well be one of the peaks of gaming.

3D system that was bad at 3D games.
Most of the good 2D games weren't localized.
No hype cycle/marketing.
A lot of the early games were absolute ripoffs, like Shining Wisdom and Clockwork Knight.
Had no absolutely revolutionary games like Mario 64.
Didn't have Playstation's massive 3rd party backing.
Was cannibalizing itself and creating negative PR with Sega CD/32X.

A Sonic game was the only thing that could have saved it, but Naka was allowed to put NIGHTS and Burning Rangers forward instead because JAPAN didn't care about Sonic. He should have been fired by that point.

I know but they're a really nice family.
It's just too bad they're all autistic as a bad of hammers.
Plenty of rage inducing stories, like their son paying to have their PS2 fixed up. Then never using it. Kid was gifted some pretty rare games such as both Fatal Frame games and some Persona shit. He never finishes them. His excuse? "I can just watch let's plays of these games."
He lets that PS2 collect dust.

Attached: 1648665591408.gif (600x600, 301.43K)

This ad makes me actually wanna play games

There was no way for the Saturn to be successful without bleeding Sega out of their asses producing the hardware.
Initial mrsp was 399 for a reason even the redesigned cheaper model 2 was sold at a loss.

>Virtua Fighter 1 and Daytona USA looked much worse than Toshinden or Ridge Racer. First impressions were very bad.
>After 32x and Sega CD some people were distrustful.
>FF7 and Square working exclusively for Playstation.
>Saturn didn't receive a Tomb Raider 2 port. It was a highly expected game back then.