Assassin's Creed Origins

After only hearing about the we wuz memes, I actually played it, and it's actually good. This is way better than the other two AC RPG's.

The story is straightforward and doesn't really matter, so you can focus on actually playing the game. The device of being the "medjay" sworn to protect the people of egypt works well as an excuse to do a bunch of side quests, a lot of which are really well made. Lots of things to explore, when I found the pyramids there was no overbearing quest telling me what to do and how to feel, just digital archaeology in introspective silence, like I was actually discovering something for myself. Tons of little adventures to be found if you go off the beaten path just a little, like the best of a third person action game and a bethesda open world.

The introduction is short and straightforward instead of jumping around 500 times it just eases you into the mechanics with some simple quests and then let you actually play the game.

It lets you actually play the game, I think in valhalla you're still in the tutorial by hour 10. AAA games are so deathly afraid of letting you actually play but this one does let you do just that.

And everything is so god damn slick, whistling for your horse, the eagle view, the way NPC's seamlessly talk to you without interruptions. It's one of the most seamless and immersive games I've seen.

They don't even make a big deal out of the diversity or force some gender BS. There's no p2w grind yet, I've easily kept pace with the level requirements just by fucking around.

Why did you lie?

Attached: Assassin's Creed Origins Screenshot 2022.05.15 - 02.39.41.07.jpg (2560x1440, 1.16M)

because it was boring, lol.
i forced myself to finish it and there was no payoff. the ending was meh at best and the story is one of the most engaging things on earth.

do you play games only for the endings?
the story not mattering is a good thing, it only needs to drive the action forward

not really but i used to play asscreed for the story and it engaged me that way, yes even AC3 which had complex themes that didn't take a breath to express themselves.

i downloading odyssey to check at the moment because o saw people saying here it was the best of the lot, last ac i played was black flag

I actually agree with you, but Assassin's Creed is discussed so much that I always consider these threads suspect.

In any case, it's actually a decent game with a great environment, but it's irreversibly altered the direction of the franchise. On one hand, that's a positive because it's actually better than any of the previous games because Ubisoft was never able to make them correctly, but on the other, it also means the odds we'll get a more traditional AssCreed that's not actually ass are reduced.

This is the one AC game I've never been able to play without dropping past the intro

>no sprint button, the game just randomly decides when you get to go fast. Have fun slowly trodding from place to place.

They tried so hard with Unity but failed so spectacularly.

You were being fucking shitposted. Odyssey's the absolute worst.

More than anything, Origins had a strong main character and an extremely empathetic storyline, the likes of which AC hadn't seen since Ezio and maybe some later parts of Black Flag.
It wavers a bit when the wife is introduced but everything with Bayek was just charming. The star stone moments where he'd reminisce about talking to his son was great. Caring fathers don't get shown enough in vidya which is a shame since they typically come off as strong, popular characters like in The Last of Us.

Shit taste. Amerimutt Revolution and Viqueens were all far worse

Attached: 1652635008266.gif (346x192, 2.18M)

>Have fun slowly trodding from place to place
you have an instant horse button for a reason

really? why do you say that? i'm about to start

This, Origins gave me hope for the franchise again then Odyssey dashed it instantly, haven’t even bothered with Valhalla.

what good is a horse if again, it just slowly trods along at a slow pace because the game arbitrarily decides not to let you gallop and set your own speed?

Imagine playing a GTA game where all cars are hardcoded to drive under the speed limit

I'd say valhalla is the worst, but both of them deviate from the brilliant simplicity of origins and are a lot more grindy on top. the special combat moves are an alright addition I guess but I'm certainly not missing them either.

I still think that Edward was the best of the bunch, but I guess is as close as we'll ever get to another likeable AC protagonist.

I've never seen a forced speed limit on a horse in this game. there's some very few cinematic walking sections but they are few and far between. most NPC's will run if you run and walk if you walk, it's great.

the main character is so fucking insufferable in valhalla, it's like the most flat and one dimensional caricature of a viking
"raargh me stronk, me conquer, viking smash and battle and beer and battle and fighting and war raaargh"
non stop, throughout the entire game
utterly insufferable

so the main problem is the grind? i'm gonna try playing it anyways, if i get bored ill give origins a shot

not just, like I say you feel a lot more free in origins, where there's a lot more story in the others, especially valhalla will just not fucking let go of your hand for over 10 hours.

Unity was what hurts me, because it really is the best of the traditional formula. They had the environment down to a T, and some people appreciate the parkour even though it was a little too automatic in my opinion, but it was a massive collect-a-thon in all the most uninteresting ways with a terrible story, little enemy variety, bad coop, and tech demo-tier gameplay. It amazes me that the have world design down but zero sensibilities for every other facet.

It's okay. A 6.5/10 game.

Origins is so much better than odyssey

Whole egypt setting is comfy AF

my problem with the parkour was the input lag and glitchiness, it just felt slow, and I kept getting stuck on nothing, unable to move just sitting on a normal ledge.

and the combination of instant rooftop access from the cranes and guards being unable to follow you at all meant there were no exciting parkour chases, just find a crane and instantly escape.

even though the parkour system is clearly set up for great chases with going through windows and under stands and the whole environment being much more interactable in terms of parkour.

they finally have a combat system that is actually dangerous to you, I love how one slip up can get you impaled, so much better than the instant win buttons in the previous games.

they have the ingredients for something great but it never comes together and on top of it, it is buggy as shit.

the parkour is actually fixed in syndicate, but enemies still can't follow you, and london is a fucking shit location

Attached: 159a1249a7123baf34eab2332745668d[1].jpg (1438x1080, 129.79K)