Ok lads, I'm about to fall for it. I want to get into the Silent Hill series

Ok lads, I'm about to fall for it. I want to get into the Silent Hill series.
I'm guessing 1 to 4 are an absolute must, what about the spin-offs?
Also, which version do you recommend playing? Emulated PS2? Any tips?
Also Silent Hill newcomers thread I guess

Attached: 1037735.jpg (1200x675, 261.91K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk
mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8
mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE
enhanced.townofsilenthill.com/SH2/
mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE
mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c
mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

NOOO user don't fall for video games
You shouldn't start playing a series with the first game don't do it

You can't read, can you?

2 is the only "absolute must" you will ever have you cringy little faggot

wait

>I'm guessing 1 to 4 are an absolute must, what about the spin-offs?
The post-SH4 games are all more or less just Western shit, that got nothing to do with the main series. I can only cautiously recommend Wii's Shattered Memories, with disclaimers.

>which version do you recommend playing?
SH1 on PS1 emu.
PC ports + enhanced mods for 2-4.

Here's the SH PC Guide:

SH1 NTSC DDL:
mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

>SH2:EE project's home page:
enhanced.townofsilenthill.com/SH2/

SH3 DDL:
mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
W10's own virtual disc app may not work. If so, try programs like Daemon Tools v4.
Also don't install under "C:\Program Files\" ! This will cause issues.

For SH2, follow the instructions on the Enhanced Edition homepage to the T, and you should be fine.
The "Enhanced .EXE" is also the no-CD crack.

For SH3 & 4, check the Guide or PC Gaming Wiki.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
I recommend the DuckStation, which is modern and easy to use, but most emulators work OK as well.

>Protips
-Play in the release order.
-Start with Normal difficulty.
-There's TONS of replay value, so replay them all.
-Turn down the ingame Brightness setting, for better gamma & colors!
-Don't try to kill everything that moves, especially outdoors. Leg it, or sneak!
-Turning OFF the flashlight can really help w/ stealth!

Attached: SH-PC-Guide-14th-November-2020-v2,4.png (1281x6118, 1.05M)

*fart*

Adding to this, the ULTIMATE best way to experience all of the games would obviously be playing on a real Playstation 2 + CRT telly, but obviously that's starting to be a tall order for modern nu-fags. Thus, there's nothing wrong with PC emulation and ports, and they are the only option if you would rather have Ultra HD visuals.

You may have already heard about the notorious SH "HD Collection" that was released for the PS3 and X360 a decade ago. Yeah, it is just as bad as the rumors claim, avoid it at all costs. Hell, even the original Team-Silent devs hated it!

Attached: my Silent Hill game collection 2018.jpg (1833x1415, 896.98K)

Oh shit user, thanks tyty, that's a great post

No problemo mate.
Always happy to help newcomers to find this magnificent series. It really does not deserve to be forgotten, nor the abuse it's seen throughout the years.

If the download links don't work, or there's zero seeders, lemme know. It shouldn't be too hard to find the disc rips any more, but I wouldnt' trust some fishy Ruskie sites either.

Attached: sh1 thumb.jpg (480x360, 20.56K)

You play Silent Hill 1, and try to get the best ending. Don't use a guide, the game was meant to be replayed, just explore.
Then you play Silent Hill 2, and it's recommended you get all of its endings. Silent Hill 2 also has an extra scenario called "Born From a Dream" included in some releases.
Silent Hill 3 after that, and you're pretty much done. SH3 is a fairly conclusive game.
If you want more, Silent Hill 4 is a very Japanese game, literally about being locked in an apartment and haunted by vengeful spirits, but its second half is legendary for how dull it is.

The other spin-offs all kind of suck, and also lack good PC ports, or require obscure hardware to play.
>Origins
Notorious for its development hell which leads to a nonsensical story that contradicts multiple aspects of SH1, it also just doesn't really have a lot going for it. It also plays into the most generic and bleh trope possible Travis was the killer all along!!!111!11
Only released on PSP and PS2, PSP release is superior
>Homecoming
Barely a Silent Hill game, also got its direction raped in development, this time by one of the Origins guys funnily enough, Tomm Huelett. Attempts to be Silent Hill's RE4 and fails horribly, and a pretty dogshit predictable story that preys on gross out horror and referencing Pyramid Head.
Released only on PS3, Xbox 360, and PC, but the PC port is ass.
>Shattered Memories
Another fairly mediocre game, but this is probably the least mediocre of these three SH games. Has a competent enough story that tries to actually have things like themes, but the actual game may as well not exist and it lack any sense of subtlety whatsoever.
Wii/PS2/PSP, Wii best
>Downpour
It's actually pretty good Eurojank, issue is that it's trapped on two consoles that can barely run it, meaning it lacks the best part of Eurojank- mod support. The post-4 game I recommend the most.
PS3/360
>Book of Memories
SH Dungeon crawler, sucked ass, I owned 5 copies.
Vita

Just started downloading, seems to be working fine. Thanks again

I'll definitely go blind first in any case, if the SH games are as replayable as they're said to be, I'll enjoy getting all the different endings etc.
Shame about the spin-offs, if the mainline games grow on me I'll definitely check them out
>I owned 5 copies.
Based collector

Get the Silent Hill HD collection, it's the quickest and easiest way to play. And don't go with the original voices, they hired a bunch of no-name actors who can barely string a sentence together.

And here's the last few things to round it off.
>Silent Hill: Play Novel
A visual novel adaptation of Silent Hill for the GBA. Last I checked it had been fully translated (I think?) and it reportedly comes with alternate scenarios and endings for SH1.
>Silent Hill: The Arcade
Actually a pretty fun arcade shooter with arcade tier voice acting. Story is worthless, but it has an insane UFO ending that makes it all worth it if you came for that.
>Silent Hill: The Experience
Only putting this here because you might see it, it's a package of Silent Hill media relating to the movie that was about to come out at the time, as well as a new Silent Hill comic. The comic sucks.
>Silent Hill: Orphan
A trilogy of phone games that you can't play officially anymore, but they're all pretty nonsensical and play like a shitty Newgrounds flash game.
>Silent Hill (The Movie)
This is alright schlock on its own, just don't go into it expecting a faithful representation of Silent Hill. Completely fucks up the portrayal of several characters and really makes a lot of SH1 stuff into really schlocky horror. If you want a comparison, I'd say it's like how the Higurashi visual novel had to rely solely on descriptions for its horror, and it allowed itself to be understated, and then the anime came along and just showed little girls killing each other and made it a selling point. That's a very obscure comparison for people in a Silent Hill thread.
>Silent Hill: Revelations
Laughably bad sequel film, honestly worth checking out if you want to lose your shit at an awful adaptation of SH3.
>Downpour: Anne's Story
Reportedly this was scrapped DLC for Downpour that got turned into a novel. I say reportedly because I am convinced nobody has read it.
>P.T.
The final Silent Hill entry is Kojima's teaser P.T., which you can't play anymore unless you're fine with mediocre recreations of it. An experience unlike any other, but it's also completely antithetical to what Silent Hill is.
That's it.

Just play 1-3 and 4 if you really like the series. The rest are dogshit and not even worth checking out. Everything that's not made by Team Silent has zero worth.

I seriously cannot fathom how anyone could even try to recommend or defend Downpoor.
Would it not be for the 0rigins' lore rape, DP would be the most insulting of all-the nu-SH games.
The gameplay is terrible and very buggy, the story is practically nonexistent with stupid as hell characters, and the OST and visual design are just pathetic even if compared to the PS2 games.

>Downpour: Anne's Story
I thought that was just a bunch of comics. Read them years ago and I really remember nothing about them, they were totally forgettable.

Attached: 1635911233043.gif (335x974, 1.53M)

I wouldn't say the SH games are replayable so much as they have reason to replay. Especially with SH2 the games show they don't have a lot of gameplay depth that lends themselves to replays, but once you know what you're doing, a game like Silent Hill 1 is short and easy.
Playing SH on original hardware is a tough order nowadays because the games cost over $100 a piece. Got 2-4 for $40 and wanted to wait for 1 to get a price drop, which never came. Fuck, Shattered Memories on PS2 is almost $200 and it's the least interesting version of the game.
I found it to be more interesting than any of the other post-4 SH games. Tried to do its own thing. It's complete jank, but once you play every game that preceded it, it doesn't really matter.
I guess it is. I misremembered I guess.

Silent Hill 1 - 3 are all fantastic games that become even better if your have some sort of sound system hooked up to your TV. Just a stereo receiver with 2 speakers (sub is option, but recommended) is all you need. Even Silent Hill 1's sound design is top notch.

Attached: MIOJE3.png (950x757, 897.55K)

>mega into torrent
but for why

It's been said a few times, but 1 to 3 are the absolute musts. 4 if you really liked the games. Avoid everything else. Play the original games. Emulate if you cannot afford purchasing them in physical or through whatever the Sony e-store is called.

origins is a glorified phone game
homecoming and downpour are insufferable trash regardless if you compare them to other games or not

you sound like a big stupid cringy faggot

3 is better as port.