Why are western designs so mundane?

I grew up in a time when every game seemed to have some iconic or larger than life character. Mario, Link, Samus, Donkey Kong, Alucard, naked blonde dude in Golden Axe, Mega Man, Sonic. Even second stringers like Kid Icarus, Double Dragon bros, Ghost n Goblins, Bionic Commando. Every fighting game had a roster of characters that were iconic in their own right. JRPG characters like Cloud and Tina as well. Every Resident Evil character. The West managed it with Tomb Raider... but almost everything they make is mundane and ultra real. Except capeshit, but that's a whole other bag of problems.

Attached: 960x0.jpg (960x540, 33.81K)

Because they're not creative enough to consistently make truly distinct designs thanks to their imaginationlet philosophy.
Also focusing more on the "realism" puts a damper on actual interesting art design to work with.

Their obsession with realism and big hollywood scenes constantly cripples anything the west makes.

*Tifa
I don't think I'm gonna buy anything except Nintendo and JP games anymore. Tired of all this boring shit.

They want realism over cartoony or awesome fun. Except they made the mistake of having female leads being overpowered as fuck and able to take on males who under no circumstances would be killed by a woman.

Westerners that are ugly with low-self esteem, grew up with single moms, got bullied at school and are mentally and physically weak, can relate to those characters because they represent their deformed appearance and sick mindset, with only difference (which is also their biggest wish) being that those characters can murder and destroy things around them.

you forgot about rayman,crash bandicoot,doomguy,Duke nukem,kratos,master chief, Aloy, and even obscure characters like scorpion and sub zero from Mortal kombat all somewhat ironic, and that not mentioning all the Disney characters.

>rayman, Aloy
Literally who.
>doomguy, Duke nukem, master chief
Generic dude with a gun
>kratos.
Turned into a movieshit joke
>all the Disney characters.
On par with capeshit.
>crash bandicoot, scorpion and sub zero
The few relevant ones and not by much.

>goalpost moving
why do I even respond to this bait threads

Because they don't make games for children.

western developers are creativity dead. they all can do is pandering, and race/gender swap shit.

And in terms of narrative too. Look at Last of Us 2. Full of Plotholes and useless shit, like giving A woman a roided muscle body.
well you couuld at least make it count for the story but no.
she shot joel in the knee and killed him with a golf club. no melee fight between them where you could see why she even trained kek

>Because they don't make games for children.

ah yes the retarded, no knowledge about anything, cliche answer.

stop it dude, get some help

Struck a nerve, did I?

Colourful, cartoony designs are made to appeal to children. They are designed this way for marketing purposes.

Psst, videogames are toys. No normal person will ever take you seriously for being an epic gamer.

Attached: 1651244439142.jpg (2048x904, 221.07K)

Well since the early 10s, with the development of better graphics, suddenly the white collars figured that they would probably attract more customers if they start to insert actual actors in the game. Basically it's a way to appeal to the normie, movie binging demographics

Attached: COD-AW_UN-Speech.jpg (3756x2113, 1.3M)

youu see, thats why i said " no knowledge about anything".

Most Storys are way more mature than any western game. they go deep and not with stupid gore shock value moments:)

lol, self-loathing, infantilised, stunted individual

I don't care if you think JRPGs are "so deep," their character designs as well as their lessons are designed to appeal to a younger demographic, and this is reflected in colourful and cartoony aesthetics with clear, memorable designs. If a game is slapped with M for Mature it doesn't mean you need a degree in English Lit to understand it, you know.

>JRPGs
Now hold on one second, who said anything about jrpgs

and again:) "no knowledge about anything"

No, you think you know things but given that you think children's games are incredibly deep, I doubt you're in much of a position to judge that. And don't get me wrong, plenty of media aimed at children deals with some dark or heavy themes, or has an added layer for adults to enjoy, but that doesn't mean that the target audience isn't children. You like designs made for children. That's just a fact. Going "uhhh well actually you don't know anything" just shows you have nothing to say.