Is it really as good as everyone says? What's the catch?

Is it really as good as everyone says? What's the catch?

Attached: retroarchheader.jpg (460x215, 31.71K)

The catch is you need at least 3 brain cells to navigate a basic menu, which apparently is too much to ask for many of the retards on here

The non-Steam version is good

None, it's legit good. If I knew about it beforehand, I wouldn't have downloaded 20 different emulators for every console.

the UI is absolute shit

The Ui could maybe be better? But at the same time it’s totally open and completely customizable yet no one’s ever improved it. So I don’t think anyone can really argue that it’s all that bad anymore. You can customize it to your hearts content

Aren't there multiple UIs to choose from? The PS3/PSP style is just the default which got praised a lot back in the day.

Trannyarch

The catch is tyhat you could just emulate and experience it without paying

>paying
retard

The catch is that the devs found out they can earn more money if they regularly shill it on Any Forums

It's only good for nes - ps1 shit and only worth using if you care about crt shaders.
If you don't there is no point using retroarch when other software does the "bundle all your games together" already.

And they do run-ahead too?

I wish people used netplay

Yes, there’s 6 UI styles and 3 immediately present as well as external loader and batch support. It’s a free program and if it was so easy to make a UI someone would’ve. But no one has so it’s a ridiculous complaint IMO. It’s so easy to customize too

It almost always has lower latency than standalone emulators, and that's without even runahead.

you're not more intelligent because you refuse to criticize something. the retroarch devs seem to agree the UI could be better as they've taken multiple steps to improve it.

The catch is that it takes a while to learn its quirks. The organization of menu settings could be better.
It's worth it, though.

It takes a little bit of set up if you want it to play every system's games. But once its done its great having one app that launches any game you wanna emulate. So its really nice if you play a lot of old games across a lot of platforms.

RA is pretty good on consoles or machines like a pi but when it comes to pc you're better off continuing to use dedicated emulators

shutup. its a shitty UI.

>What's the catch
It's designed to be navigated with a controller, and most people have an aneurysm about it.
As for real catches?
Menu driver documentation is fucking SEWAGE TIER, and you've got basically one (1) singular dude that can actually make menu drivers because he made the code for menu drivers, which means no cool shit like menus based on other consoles
No Blades
No Gamecube cube
No Dreamcast Home
No Wii style menu (Which would potentially be more mouse navigation friendly)

Attached: 4234224323.jpg (500x375, 31.24K)

I still prefer RA on PC because it prevents me from juggling 8 different emulators. Especially when say one PS1 emulator is great for this one game but sucks or wont run another. You can just install all PS1 emulator cores in RA then assign them to run whatever games they're good with.