Did you experience the advancement of 3D visuals, or are you a zoomer?

did you experience the advancement of 3D visuals, or are you a zoomer?

Attached: retro.jpg (439x246, 54.73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XCO1Tt4m5oQ
youtube.com/watch?v=g6JC-HCNcio
twitter.com/AnonBabble

soul souless

Yes. I remember being both excited and impressed with increasing graphics fidelity up until the 360/ps3 generation. after that, my impression of it cooled. graphics have improved dramatically since then but it seems like there were greater leaps forward in the past.

there was no bigger upgrade than going from ps1/n64 to ps2/xbox
eveything after was diminishing returns

Born in 94 but I started with a snes, till like 1999 then I had an n64 and ps1, then I got a gamecube in like 2004, a ps2 in 2005, and by that point I was do8ng yardwork for my neighborhood and bought a launch ps3. Still works to this day. My 360 died in 2009 though. Fuckibg piece of garbage.

Yes. Even the jump from NES to SNES was mindblowing. It was like living in some sort of hyperbolic time chamber, and the movie equivilent of watching movies from silent era all the way to Juraissic Park in like twenty years

Seeing Final Fantasy X blew my God damned MIND.

Of course I did. Going from pixel 16 bits era to ps1 era was something mind blowing.
Now I think all this gen stuff makes no sense. We have seen realistic graphics, it's kind of impressive, yeah, but boring. I don't give a fuck when they come with new games that have EVEN MORE REALISTIC GRAPHICS XD

Same. Maybe cause I was a middle schooler but the jump from 5th to 6th gen blew me away but I didn't give a shit after that.

youtube.com/watch?v=XCO1Tt4m5oQ

I was born in 2000 so technically a zoomer but the first games I ever played were Half Life and Doom. I remember when I played Half Life for the first time the graphics seemed perfect to me. I didn’t see how they could get better than that. Then they did, and continued to get better. Going to Skyrim from Oblivion felt like the peak, that it couldn’t get better. I stopped noticing / caring when the Witcher 3 came out though. Graphical fidelity hasn’t seemed to have done much since then.

Started with SNES and honestly I think I liked it better. I'm tired of things looking realistic, I want them to look fun and interesting like they used to

>Graphical fidelity hasn’t seemed to have done much since then

So unbelievably wrong, check back to 2010 era graphics and when you're looking past the models themselves you have so much more depth to shadows, occlusion, effects and what's able to happen on screen - it's so much more advanced than 10 years ago

Same. I remember when crash bandicoot launched, after years of 2d games (some of them in black and white, like the gameboy games) everyone was like "it's 3d, it's so cool!". Ps2 and gamecube were another huge improvement with games like kingdom hearts or luigi mansion, and then we got the ps3 with its hd graphics and the first uncharted that back then looked like a miracle.

yeah bro now we have quintuple the texture fidelty and polygons on uhhh
>checks notes
aloy's teeth

When HL2 came out I thought that was it. A feat of engineering never to be matched again that almost replicated real life. How silly I feel now.

im still more impressed with escape from butcher bay graphics than modern game ones. sexy stencil shadows and simple shaders.

Jumped from super mario land to kingdom hearts 2 in my childhood, that's why I everything from nes to current gen except psx shit, because they mix 2D with 3D, shit is unplayable to me, looks bad and more importantly, plays bad.

why I can play everything*

In all fairness, character models haven’t gotten much better since then.

Attached: A11A84D6-54C8-42A3-B870-3A7F81DF002E.jpg (516x688, 342.25K)

When I was a kid you could go to a museum and awkwardly stumble around a VR demo that had about the same graphical fidelity as Hard Drivin'. There was only one machine and a line of people so you only had a couple of minutes on it before they kicked you out. I think there was a hang glider? And climbable ladders.
youtube.com/watch?v=g6JC-HCNcio

to reiterate: escape from butcher bay gives me an impression of a good looking video game. while lets say horizon forbidden west gives me an impression of uncanny/slightly worse looking reality. i know it doesnt make much sense but thats how i feel.

grew up playing many consoles in release order despite newer ones having been out
first "wow" moment was mario 64/OoT
going from snes and gameboy games to that was an amazing experience. I remember seeing commercials for oot on tv and my whole family b eing excited to get it since we played the one on snes. It was a great christmas.
Second "wow" moment was I think playing RE4 of all things on ps2. I remember being really impressed at the time since most of the other games I played looked like shit
Third was MGS4 the day I got my ps3. Haven't had a single "wow" moment like that since and it kind of feels bad

"Yep, they don't make 'em like they used to. Look at FF7's solid color block 3D models. Pure SOVL."
/|\
/ \

Elden Ring isn't a showcase for graphical fidelity, it has a nice artstyle that melds realism with bold colour, like RDR2 or Tsushima that makes it stand out

Hell, Demon's Souls Remastered's better graphically than either of those three games but neither version of DeS has that great a colour palette