Wtf is with this game

Wtf is with this game
I’ve been playing Dwarf Fortress for years with no issues, but I utterly fail with every single colony playing Rimworld.
Just now I was playing a fairly decent start to a colony, despite every colonist getting sick immediately upon landing, only to have my entire base wiped by simultaneous animal attacks.

What should I be doing to just play a normal game? Maybe I’m just not getting some key element?
I feel like if I take it slow and just let my colonist complete the bare basic structures ASAP they end up with shitty moods and have mental breaks, or if I try to satisfy their moods I end up not completing something key like a defensive area in time for some attack.

Attached: C83898F6-E1A2-4EA9-95DF-2899987F5829.jpg (1200x696, 107.52K)

I honestly can't understand how games like Rimworld and Dwarf Fortress are popular? Is it pure autism?

You should be able to rush getting some basic stuff set up, they get a few early positive mood buffs early on that go away over time. Oh yeah, get some mods that fix the terribly inefficient AI, you end up with a lot of wasted time and effort without stuff like "While you're up" installed as well as a bunch of others.

also play on randy random and nobody else as the storyteller, thank me later

Don't start in a jungle as they are a festering shithole for disease. Cook your food and prohibit your colonists from eating raw food. Nice bedrooms / nice barracks gives a good mood boost. As for defence try to wall off your colony and create chokepoints to fight them in; spiketraps are really good early on.

People have their own thing they want to get out of games. A friend of mine plays the shit out of rimworld and dwarf fortress. I also think its pure autism so its nothing for me but who am i to judge. I still think destiny 2 is amazing but that would make me deranged on this board.

I started on a temperate forest with randy after struggling in an arid area due to barely any wood
Main issue is the AI seems to just do whatever jobs instead of what is important, even if I designate.
DF is more engaging of a society sim.

Are you using the advanced schedule with numbers or the default tickbox one? use the former

Rimworld is pretty casual though. It is my goto brain turn off game personally.

the game basically focus on moods way too hard. Something as minor as not having a table to eat food on will piss them off. Once you learn the major mood debuffs you can avoid them. As for being sick asap that is normal and only temp. If you really hate it though you could go for a tribal start to avoid it altogether I believe. But goto things you should do is room with beds. Simply not owning a bed and/or room piss them off though ironically the condition of the bedroom itself barely matters due to how mood get pause while sleeping. A massive dining hall with a table and chairs so the fuckers will quit bitching about not having it. Unless you schedule mealtime the odds are they won't even use it beside for when they first wake up. On that note schedule can literally force them to quit working and just do mood boosting stuff, giving them two hours of such is more than enough assuming you touch schedule at all. Otherwise they should automatically improve their mood on their own if you have it set to "do whatever" which is default.

Play it as a game not as a simulator

>Main issue is the AI seems to just do whatever jobs instead of what is important, even if I designate.
Have you set job priorities in the job tab? Numbered is also better than just allowing or forbidding.
It’s generally not a good idea to let everyone do everything.

Advanced, still seems like barely anything gets done
I wish I could designate certain job sites as higher priority than others like DF

>the game basically focus on moods way too hard. Something as minor as not having a table to eat food on will piss them off. Once you learn the major mood debuffs you can avoid them. As for being sick asap that is normal and only temp. If you really hate it though you could go for a tribal start to avoid it altogether I believe. But goto things you should do is room with beds. Simply not owning a bed and/or room piss them off though ironically the condition of the bedroom itself barely matters due to how mood get pause while sleeping. A massive dining hall with a table and chairs so the fuckers will quit bitching about not having it. Unless you schedule mealtime the odds are they won't even use it beside for when they first wake up. On that note schedule can literally force them to quit working and just do mood boosting stuff, giving them two hours of such is more than enough assuming you touch schedule at all. Otherwise they should automatically improve their mood on their own if you have it set to "do whatever" which is default.
ironically enough, with one update, DF had similar issues with stress and feelings ruining forts left and right and it got toned down later.
Dorfs went from being badass motherfuckers to getting constantly depressed when seeing a single corpse and then remembering that thought forever.

I find it best to minimize the number of tasks a person has, even early on when you really ought to multitask. If someone has multiple tasks I'll often manually disable one of them if the other needs to be done more urgently. You really can't rely too much on automation until you've got a lot of pawns later on. Early on it requires a lot of micromanagement.

mods let me run brothel abduction colonies and that's pretty fun

Don’t overstock food.
Tempting as it is, it also raises the value of your colony which is what determines the strength of raids

You can prioritize storage. Bills though go by order that you listed them on the workstation. Also there is nothing from making say 5 of the same kind of workstation if you really overusing that given type. Only one task per station can be done and if stop midway then only the original crafter can start it back up. So yes, the game expect you to have a dedicated butcher, dedicated cook and dedicated hauler for that food. Because if the cook is hauling the food then that is time he have to spend not cooking. Think of the colonist as ants and less like people.

Yea, they be moody bitches. Just something you have to accept.

I do, my issue is that it doesn’t seem to make things that much more efficient
Maybe I’m putting too many tasks at once

I think I will go tribal next
My last tribal game went pretty well until my one of my tribals killed my tribe leader in a mind break and then everyone else went crazy so I gave up

It's not Rimworld if in the first hour of the game, you don't have at least five mental breaks. Just pray it's not berserk

It's a very chill subgenre of games, usually called "colony sims". The idea is that you do basic planning, then let your little shits handle the legwork. Occasionally, bad things happen and need some micromanagement but besides that, you just watch your instructions unfold and you wait around 80% of the time. Rimworld in particular has a very chill country-inspired soundtrack so it's prime chill material.

how does anyone play this game vanilla?