How big of a game is too big?

How big of a game is too big?

Attached: Sword Art Online Aincrad Kirito and other tags.png (1920x1080, 3.18M)

Anything with a filesize larger than 30 GB

That's not the exact metric I was going for but I understand that.
bump

The problem isn't the game size but how interesting is the world, for example ubisoft games are boring

I definitely felt that Elden Ring went on way too long.

If you have to ask.

If you it's not as big as daggerfall, it's not big enough.

>no one will ever make SAO
it sounds fun in Progressive, too.

Elden Ring wasn't too long, the issue is unfinished/cut content and reused assets with terrible replay value. You can tell they put all energy on the first 4 zones.
This, and these days a lot of studios uses AI generated world maps and just fix them up. Soulless as fuck and you can feel it.

It's not the game size but the pacing and flow. Some games continue to take you to new areas and have new things to do for 100+ hours. Others get boring after just 5 hours because they keep reusing areas or become a grind in gameplay.

>go up two floors
>oh lmao i got bored so the main baddie gets beaten because he was amoungus the whole time
sao is so fucking shit

A game where the size begins to actively detriment the experience of the game. Daggerfall being a wonderful example.

Some games just drag on forever and ruin an otherwise great game. Okami, for example.

Matters what type of game and what content you put in the area you have.
For example:
A sandbox game can be as big or small as you want, not really a limit except hardware.
An RPG can only be big if the area added actually has significance. Just having open large swathes of land where you do nothing there, and they don't add anything to the game is dumb.
If you are meaning in length then games can be extremely large if the time they take up is interesting, and the gameplay isn't a snooze fest 10 hours in.
The only reason you should make a game longer or larger is because you are trying to put more content in.
Size and length for the sake of making the world bigger or game take longer to beat is retarded.

why should there be a limit

I want more. Less side content more full on dungeons and better rewards for invasions. Rune arcs are literally worthless to invaders. Should be redeemable tokens for some kind of pvp vendor. Same should go for coopting

A friend pointed out once that only 10k players joined SAO, meaning it was either a flop or VR is a total meme at that time

The 10k always bothered me.
Seems like a low pop count for how fucking big the game is

how do people watch SAO, i couldn't stand watching even the first episode.

Attached: 1648709981542.png (422x369, 11.88K)

SAO and GGO were fine to me because of bias for swords and guns, but AFO was pretty shit, even before NTR entered the mainstream. It gets really good during the Underground though, I recommend just skipping straight to Alicization after you finish SAO if you don't like the rest.

SAO becomes unwatchable once they run off to their sex cabin in the woods.

It's not Reki's fault. He's working on fixing it now by fleshing out the rest.
They based the anime on his original web novel, which he wrote within a time constraint for a writing contest, so he needed an ending. After that he started writing more side stories and putting them online because people asked him for more.

It wasn't until Accel World came out that his publisher went to him asking if he had anything else and he went "well here's this thing" and after a little bit of touching up started firing out SAO LNs which led to the anime which led to it feeling like a rushed mess.