Why did it feel so mediocre compared to brood war?

Why did it feel so mediocre compared to brood war?

Attached: StarCraft_II_-_Box_Art.jpg (256x363, 63.48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gdcvault.com/play/1014488/The-Game-Design-of-STARCRAFT
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

evil kerrigan > redeemed kerrigan

I mean gameplay wise

Because Broodwar is a fucking masterpiece 10/10.
Voice acting, story, elements and inspiration from several sci fi classics without feeling copy pasted.
Also it came out in a time where the genre was more popular.
SC2 was a but cartoony and the story felt uninspired and boring.
I can still here the music in the waiting room when Raynor talks to zeratul or tassadar.

While the story is crap the gameplay is fun enough for a play through, I enjoyed it. But come on Brood War was during an era when Blizzard was the best in the business. Few games are going to compare to them back then.

The dumbasses focused too hard on cashing in on koreans and tournaments to remember that the only reason why tournaments existed was because BW was fun enough and deep enough to warrant it.

>The dumbasses focused too hard on cashing in on koreans and tournaments
Ironically koreans wanted tournaments to go back to BW but blizzard wouldn't let them before the release of remastered

Mostly because it started off on the wrong foot, has less darker style that its predecessor and its responsible for the death of "the golden starcraft years" in korea

Gameplay wise, Broodwar's restrictive mechanics are what made it to be a masterpiece. I know that zoomers and newfags cant understand this, but watching pro players controlling units with such finesse, is a thing to cheer about. Also the old graphics had a more basic color pallete and you can always discern every unit from its basic shape and its striking color. In sc2, the graphics engine makes the units merge with the map's colors for realism's sake. This sucks if you try to follow the action. Mobas suffer from that shit as well.
The unit deathballing effect in sc2 was there to make sure that you will always see 2 massive balls of units collide instead of action that was always spreaded out on the whole map in broodwar. While broodwar had less units, these units were more "fearsome" in the field. Every terran is terrified of a well executed stacked mutalisk attack, Zealots are some touch mofos in the field etc, late mech strat is almost impenetrable etc. Every unit in sc2 is squishy as fuck and it follows a rock paper scissor strats.

Because Blizzard thought that taking half of BW's units and sidegrading them with units that do a completely different job would make the game automatically balanced, when BW's fantastic balance was hinged on the very units they took out. Without Vultures, Terran can't stop Protoss early game. Without Lurkers/Defilers, ZvT and ZvP crumble. Without Reavers, Protoss has no mid/lategame power unit. Don't give me that Colossus bullshit, those things are awful and you know it.

And don't even get me started on the removal of the control group cap. If that cap was removed from BW, the buff that Zerg would receive as a result would basically break the game. I don't think people appreciate just how ridiculously strong Zerglings are. They have to be hard to control by design.

Another huge issue is the game speed. Someone has been busy porting the WC3 campaign over to the SC2 map editor, and it looks fantastic. Trouble is, it plays WAY faster than what WC3 plays like. Go google around for it and see for yourself. It really goes to show just how fast the default game speed in the SC2 engine really is. If SC2's game speed was dropped by maybe 20-25%, the game would be much more fun to play. Oh and if the SC2 ladder map pool wasn't all fuckhuge 4 player maps with 20 bases on them. I don't want every game I play to be some 40 minute grindfest.

>Also the old graphics had a more basic color pallete and you can always discern every unit from its basic shape and its striking color
Not to mention the sound design. In BW you can close your eyes in the middle of a battle and tell which units are present, which ones are attacking, which ones are dying and so on. try doing that in SC2. You can't

Yeah I forgot that part. The sounds and OST in Broodwar are absolutely phenomenal. Almost every unit had sounds that fit it like a glove and I still remember every race ost from broodwar as if it was yesterday, however I cant remember jackshit from sc2 sounds even if I try

blizz focused away too much on esports when they could have made it closer to wc3, but they did not want legal shit to happen like with kespa and dota. Way too much deathball syndrome compared to BW.

BWfags literally don't even play
You ask them and they stutter and eventually shit out "um uh 15 years ago I half remember doing UMS with my friend"

neutered artsyle, unmemorable music, a completely worthless story, a misdirected focus on 1v1 at the expense of literally everything else. the fact that it is mechanically perfect doesn't make it memorable.

Were both games made by the same team? I think that SC2 is better with all its QoLs. I don't like the units clogging in any bottleneck.

because everything feels mediocre to brood war when played by koreans and finnish people

Those bottlenecks are what balanced the game. They're what gave the defender an advantage. Without them attacking becomes much easier, and rushes become stronger. The end result is what we saw early in WoL where 2 player maps were just rushfests and the ladder becomes nothing but giant 20 base 4 player maps which sucked to play on.

Units need to be clunky in a game like this. Speedlings squeezing through a 1 pixel gap is not fun.

gdcvault.com/play/1014488/The-Game-Design-of-STARCRAFT
designed from the ground up around esports

Designing a game from the ground up for a purpose doesn't mean the game has to suck by default. It just means Blizzard sucks at making games because the game sucks.

>best feeling rts game ever made in terms of control and responsiveness
>all units are cool and see regular use in online play
>single player campaigns (ignoring the story) are the best in the genre with varied missions that put all the units to use
>loads of active arcade missions
>actually alive community
>co-op

bw did some stuff better (story, atmosphere, sound and music) but if bw is a 10/10 then sc2 is like a 9.5/10

BW isn't a 10/10 lol
Any Forums doesn't play anything

>UMS
DEAD
>STORY
WARCRAFT 3
>MULTIPLAYER
FORCED
>CO-OP
TOO LATE

The big heads are still in it in both games, however on the music department there are different composers. I think its the logic that hurt them. They explored lots of "what about" scenarios because the fans were pressing them to do so. SC2 is a fine little experiment that nobody knew how people would receive the end product. Im sure the people that couldnt stand broodwar's mechanics have found a new home but Blizzard's biggest sin was to actively try to kill broodwar instead of acknowledging it as a beloved game that still has life in it.

all rts games are dominated by rushes in the early days because they're easy to execute and hard to defend

The race balancing is also completely fucked because the unit and tech disparity.

It was designed with esports in mind rather than "fun". As a result, playing it feels like a chore.

Isn't this game 10 years old? Just let it die or make another one. Cod shits out good/bad game every year. Are blizzard devs just too occupied with milking their local employees?

Attached: allah forgives.webm (480x480, 2.9M)

>Give Zergs the Roach and Terran the Marauder
>"Look Protoss players, here's the Immortal which is really good against the Roach and Marauder!"
>"Oh but by the way you can be rushed with Roaches and Marauders, and it's mathematically impossible to get Immortals out in time without making huge economic sacrifices to do so."
>"Oh and Immortals actually lose to the unis they were designed to counter anyway LOL"

They did such a bad job at designing the SC2 game balance that it really does make you wonder why these people were being given a salary in the first place. Spending a couple months on this shit should've been priority #1.

it only makes 10s of millions instead of 100s of millions in profit so it's not worth bothering with

The campaign-exclusive units you could get were some fun shit. Like the zerglings that could climb ledges.

Cod is braindead by design and you can copy paste the same shit gameplay all the time and nobody notice but when it comes to rts and strategies, the designing process is hard.
Also Blizzard at its current state cant even keep their current games running properly, let alone design a new starcraft sequel that will break new grounds in rts mechanics and gameplay

It didn't. You're just a bitter faggot who can't enjoy new things.

Idk what you guys are talking about, the sound design in both games is very good and I’m pretty sure every unit has distinct sounds for firing, dying, and whatever else makes a noise. I’m picturing units and trying to remember their attack sounds right now and for both BW and SC2 I can remember all of them, and they’re all unique.

>and you can copy paste the same shit gameplay all the time
Even though the core gayplay is the same, they usually add a twist, sometimes they got some ADHD zoomers and we got a fast paced wall running game, next game we get slower game with buildable cover.
And the campaigns have always been good, well until the most recent game, but that was a terrible year for FPS games overall

Call me a zoomer or whatever but I can’t get past the clunkiness of sc1 compared to 2. I played SC1 before I ever played SC2 a long time ago. Recently I tried to replay the sc1 campaign and I just couldn’t do it. I can’t get past the lack of qol improvements that sc2 brought in. I’m playing mass recall, which remakes the all the sc1 campaigns in the sc2 engine and it’s much better. There’s a lot sc1 and broodwar do better than sc2 but I’ll probably never actually play it ever again.