CAMPAIGN ONLY

> CAMPAIGN ONLY

What are all the gripes with this game? I thought the story/set pieces/environments were all great.

I’ve heard all the multi complaints so I’m just talking campaign here.

Attached: DEB6E879-A4F4-4957-B0F3-4A2D5636BF59.jpg (800x800, 108.37K)

One conplaint I've heard since release was that it didn't line up with the events in the Fall of Reach novel, even though Bungie rightfully never gave a shit about Halo's EU.

It basically retconned the whole thing. In the novel, the covenant come out of nowhere and obliterate the planet in less than a day, whereas the game has it so that they've somehow had a secret base on the planet for months and the war is drawn out across weeks.

There's only two good missions in the game

Oh yeah I can get that, I had some friends who were upset, but I never read the novels. They sounded cool.

the armor in reach was the coolest they have ever had

music was not as good as the original 3

Whilst people claim it's issues related to a disconnect from continuity, it's more to do with BUNGiE's degredation as a studio long before it's release.
For as rough as the development of Halo 2 was - the beginning of the end was in hiring Sage Merrill.

Used to not care much for Reach, but after playing all of them again on MCC years later, it's my second favorite campaign right behind CE.

gritty aesthetics, i understand reach is a dramatic game but to downgrade the classic halo artstyle just to sell the story is a shortcut, not a solution.
the old artstyle serves just fine because the music itself is what made halo emotional, not the artstyle. and reach music was mediocre at best, feels like Marty didn't give a shit about reach. most bungie workers didn't give a shit too.

as for the story itself, i don't even know what parts they retconned about the novel but the characters themselves are as cliche as they get. but somehow the writers choose sudden deaths for them instead of cliche deaths which would've been better in that case, but also it highlights how important halo music is since the story can't stand on it's own.

as for the gameplay, the sandbox is just boring, throwing countless amounts of grunts for you to brainlessly aim at them. to the point where you can just sprint your way out of most levels.

bookfag seethe

Armor Lock is BASED and they ruined it with TU.

Attached: 1648484581711.webm (1280x720, 2.43M)

It feels like the levels just drags along. No sense of urgency even after the Covenant show up.
And the Noble barely has characters. They could've at least made them really powerful and smart and everyone accompanies you all the time; then when the game kills them one by one, you're left alone fending of numerous number of Covenants for the last few missions you'll miss their backup.

smoothbrainlet

>no version of reach where you can fulfil secret objectives on each level to save members of Noble
>the final level where all of you face off against unending hordes of Covenants

low t

ok reachtranny

Attached: 1632872288795.png (750x587, 467.36K)

I don't have a problem with this games campaign.

is this the type of shit you keep on your harddrive?

I liked the atmosphere of Reach and the music really underlines the feeling that you are fighting a battle which you will inevitably lose.

>lets completely remove all tension from the ending of the game and turn it into a marvels avengers ending where all the good guys gang up
343 should genuinely hire you, you wouldn't write a good story but you'd sell more units

his ending is kino actually, seeing all of your squad members falling in one segment.
dare i say it? the fall of reach

Halo 1 after 343 Guilty Spark is unplayable

The campaign is an exercise in cockteasing without any real follow-through.
The marketing for the game talks up Noble Team a shitton, about how you're for the first time fighting alongside fellow Spartans who are just as competent as you, but that never gets reflected in-game. For the most part, you're usually buddied up with only a single member, and they're barely competent, if invincible. Ever tried to let Kat drive during Tip of the Spear? Awful.

The battle of Reach itself is supposed to be this massive, apocalyptic event, but it feels weirdly muted for the majority of the game. Why the fuck would the Covenant launch a stealth invasion of a planet when they have almost total naval superiority? Why would the UNSC drag its feet on evacuation when they knew the Covenant were planetside already?

This gets reflected in the gameplay, too. Tip of The Spear starts out with a cutscene promising the biggest vehicle battle you've ever seen in Halo, but the cutscene ends with you taking a detour onto a ridge to fight some Elites while the rest of the warthogs go into some huge battle.
This happens again and again over the course of the campaign. The game teases Scarabs multiple times over the course of the story but when you finally encounter two of them, they aren't even coded to use their main guns. Or even be destructible. They're literally glorified props.

That's not to say there aren't good missions, but overall it's one of the weaker campaigns. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned how Bungie rightfully ignored the book canon, but Fall of Reach unironically had a more engaging battle for Reach than Halo Reach did.

The only level I don't care for after 343GS is Keyes, truthfully. I prefer TB over AotCR and I prefer the Maw over PoA. Library I feel is over hated. If the level was 1 floor shorter it would better, I feel.

yeah the scale is definitely missing

it takes away from their individual sacrifices, each of their deaths alone are more memorable as a whole than some fanfic where everything goes as perfectly as it can up until they die (even though fucking nothing goes perfectly for reach in the lore)
the only reasonable way they could write that in would be to glass them all from orbit in roughly the same location, which would be a bit anticlimactic, even with the best marty score

movement was poor (sprint feels awful and movement speed is lower),everything else was ok at best.

I really don't know if the hate is legitimate or if it's carryover from people who were furious with the multiplayer.
The campaign is absolutely incredible. I'd say it's really the best of them all. Halo 1, 2, and 3 maybe each had stronger campaigns on first playthrough, but in retrospect they're all weaker than they first seemed, especially 3 which really suffers when you stop to think about it a bit story-wise. Reach is solid as fuck.