The age of in house game engines is over

the age of in house game engines is over

Attached: 4244c8df-2a8e-44df-86ae-343a063dc4dd.png (722x641, 405.2K)

And that's a good thing.

I'm house tools require training new staff in their use
This is only a problem for shit copanies nobody wants to stay at long term like CDPR

>fire people out of the office after 1 year
yep no shit sherlock

Most of this technology is just some GRAPHEEX shit that's not only barely noticeable nowadays but ends up being worse than first presented. Fuck the tech, get some good artists.

I feel like we've reached the point where developers are turning away from big name engines like Unity because they're resource hogs, and people were struggling to keep up with the hardware specs to run it even before the hardware """shortage""". If they don't become leaner and more efficient, their product will become unmarketable.

what is Nintendo...

and yet its not.

I'm house tools.

Witcher 3 was dogshit

In house "engines" have already been modified UE4 builds with a few extra tools for a decade already.

>Most Switch games are made using Unity
>Resource hog

any garbage engine can run mobile graphics

I mean it’s Unreal. Unreal can do Fortnite, ARK, BAM HAM City, Bioshock, splinter cell.. if there’s any decision I’m not upset about it’s this one. If this keeps them from making another cyberpunk I’m all for it.

They still exist. Decima, Frostbite, Naughty Dogs engine, etc. It's just easier to hire people who know an off the shelf engine instead of spending weeks to train them in a proprietary one.

well with competition like unreal engine, there's no point in trying to develop in-game engines unless it's for an RTS or something unreal doesn't do very well.

>faster dev time
>more mods

Should i create my own Eninge for an RTS game?

>ue4
>a decade

what went wrong?

Attached: d6d471e7-fc48-49a0-bdcd-35bcee9eaf89.png (551x868, 95.68K)

there is not a single ue4 game that has good mod support

Bad management

Kingdom Hearts 3