Game brags about having a huge open world

>game brags about having a huge open world
>it's just more space to walk on and more enemies to fight
>no unique challenge for each area that has you doing anything different, you do the same shit in each one

What's the point of having a big map if there's not much to actually do in it? Zelda games at least had enormous themed dungeons for each area with distinct puzzles and environmental interactions. All these other open world games don't have that, it just adds more terrain to run on and more enemies. You don't actually do anything different.

Attached: 16382594702.jpg (400x400, 30.52K)

>zelda games had enourmous themed dungeons
>had

The gameplay function of an open world isn't to provide challenge, it's to break up gameplay with immersion building setpieces and exploration.
Now, whether you think this is good design is a separate issue, but I can understand the intention; many games now are trying to portray worlds that feel lived in, and, lacking the resources necessary to make sprawling cityscapes filled with unique content, they rely on vast open areas to create a sense of scale.

Attached: images (1).jpg (249x202, 9.08K)

who is this semen demon?

connie mcclunny

If the developers are emphasizing the open world in their advertising, the vastness of it as one of its main selling points, it's just really just stupid pandering to faggots. This never really enhances the gameplay unless they add a unique gameplay element to each area, if not it's literally just adding quantity of land.
>break up gameplay
But you do the same exact shit in every area. It's not like in Zelda where every temple has you figuring out different puzzles and interacting with the environment in a unique way. Or like in platformer games where they change up the game feel by making the terrain slippy, having you swim slowly underwater, have to deal with moving/disappearing platforms, fucking with gravity, etc. actually making the player have to adapt.

Every modern "Open World" game has the same exact gameplay for each area so the big map is just for show. There's nothing actually different to do in them gameplay-wise.

>I can't entertain myself with game mechanics I need a theme park roller coaster
NPC mentality

Attached: 63kz8ttehh151.jpg (449x315, 16.87K)

I NEED CLUSSY

>Zelda games at least had enormous themed dungeons for each area with distinct puzzles and environmental interactions
Examples? Are you talking about BOTW? I really hope not.

i need a large double quarter pounding of that McClussy

NPC mentality is having a big map just for the sake of having a big map because it's the trendy thing. I want something to differentiate each area not just visually, this isn't like Street Fighter where the stages are just for background visuals. Open world games don't offer different experiences for each area, it's literally just padding for length without offering unique challenges for each place.

Built for BBKC

>I need to create myself the entertainment
>yes,I still need to fully pay for the game,why do you ask?
Peak consoom mentality

BUILT FOR KFC

Name 1 vidya clussy

Lola pop

Attached: ht5a38kpjoy21.png (748x800, 770.73K)

LOLA POP

This seem retarded,when I was a kid I was scared of clowns too but only irl
It's stupid to be scared of clowns in a videogame

SS13 clown

Attached: Generic_clown.png (32x32, 3.54K)

It's even funnier when the open world actually hinder world design, the enemy can't path properly, or you get randomly forbidden to go through one area despite the fact it's strategically advantageous.
>fighting enemies
>realise I could climb up a bunch of rocks to get a better vantage point
>random invisible wall/game over for leaving the mission area
It's also really fun when the game force a random combat on you and there's no cover anywhere, so it's just you vs a firing squad.

Attached: hm.png (454x326, 353.07K)

it's funny how they got it right with dark souls 1, making the entire map open and connected, so you get the sensation of an actual place that exists in space, but still get good level design all the way through. but that was too hard to make for their ultimate magnum opus apparently

Attached: 1636391769955.png (500x387, 50.98K)