The cancer that ruined the MMO genre forever

The cancer that ruined the MMO genre forever.

Attached: wow vanilla box.jpg (800x1132, 199.65K)

2004-2005 WoW was GOAT

Not just MMO's. A lot of it bled into single player RPG's, e.g. map markers in Oblivion

The MMO genre was nothing like it is today before WoW came out. Say what you want about the actual game, but it put the MMO genre on the map. It wasn't the first one, but it was the first one to make a big splash.

vanilla wow mogged the fuck out of EverShit

That's the point. Normalfag appeal ruins things.

Go back to your MUDs if you really want an oldfag mmo experience

Hot take incoming
Vanilla WoW did a lot of things right but it also did a lot of things wrong
Burning Crusade perfected the formula in almost every conceivable way and even retroactively fixed Azeroth by reducing the experience requirement by 30%
40 man raids were too much. 10/25 was ideal (although 20 might have been better than 25 just so you could have an A group and B group)
Heroic dungeons were genuinely difficult and provided challenging PvE content for non-raiders
Raids weren't so difficult that only 1% of the population completed them (although Sunwell was pushing it)
Daily quests gave those without gathering professions a consistent revenue stream
Flying mounts were a good addition primarily because base flying was slow as shit meaning in many cases it was faster to walk anyway
Not a PvPer but Arenas were a fun distraction
Badge of Justice system helped mitigate bad RNG by rewarding you for completing content
I could go on.

Attached: 98428-ijiranaide-nagatoro-san-abre-una-encuesta-de-popularidad-de-capitulos.jpg (1280x720, 383.3K)

I just want classic DAoC back

Vanilla WoW was not normie/casual friendly.

its not just the game its also the hordes of people who imprinted upon it and rejected everything else that wasn't remotely like it. This is why FF14 is so "successful" because its just a shittier copy.

At the time it most certainly was compared to its contemporaries.

Yeah it was. Comparably fast levelling for mmo standards, little need for grinding, handholding with quest markers.

It was actually this.
>Dungeon/Raid finder
>Community dies at extreme speed.

Attached: R.da85238e2b8bbd912e450f4b02d961d9.jpg (1503x2160, 726.14K)

>Flying mounts were a good addition
druid hands typed this post

Attached: jeff-kaplan.jpg (1600x2362, 833.24K)

It's unfair. WoW spawned a decade of clones but where are the EVE, runescape, tibia and dofus clones? WHERE?

Comparative to other MMORPGs of the time, you are certainly right. If we're comparing it to other RPGs on PC, it wasn't that normie friendly.

>only a single DAoC clone
>it died in stillbirth because the devs were retarded

Attached: warhammer online.jpg (1920x1200, 449.43K)

>dofus clones

Attached: 1456009633098.png (364x329, 240.38K)

I'm conflicted about flight form, honestly, although the Swift Flight Form quest was great, as someone who played a warlock in vanilla and loved the Dreadsteed quest I was glad to see other classes get the same love

I just want Blizzard to make "Classic+ " or reboot WoW where they
>Rebalance the classes/specs to be more in line with their Wrath counterparts minus the AOE
>Raids aren't the primary focus of patches, put more focus in to dungeons and other misc activities
>Raids have equal Tank:Healer:DPS ratio to dungeons (1:1:3)
>The expansions/patches mostlu recycle assets from the original ones so that they can pump out content and finish what was unfinished. There's like 20 years worth of assets in WoW
>Make PvP super casual, aside from the top player cosmetics and titles. Casual PvP is best PvP.

>LFM BIG PUMPPERS AND CASH MONEY DADDIES FOR KARA GDKP!!! 60 40 SPLIT PERF BASED!! INSPECT @ ALDOR AND SHOW BUDGET!!
Nu-gamers managed to kill it anyways.

>MMO genre
It was born cancerous

Attached: 1647356415554.png (567x1337, 99.9K)

pre-wow MMO's were interesting but ultimately kind of cursed. like i used to play Tibia where you could lose months of game-progress by dying which made it very nerv-wrecking and exciting but ultimately when you do get mugged in Thais or whatever pretty much the game is over and you won't ever catch up. They were usually just some RPG with bloated content and slow progression to extract more monthly fees and WoW is incredibly influential and could genuinely have been a classic game without the MMO aspect.