Games have so much bloat now

>Games have so much bloat now
>"JUST PAY $200 TO EXPAND YOUR STORAGE BRO"
Why are devs refusing to utilize compression?

Attached: ssds-1280-1554486033378_160w.jpg (1280x720, 204.6K)

I have like 30 games installed and only play 2 of them on a single drive, and the drive is only half used.

Because you are a gigabrainlet that who doesn't understand that compressed formats require processing power to be decompressed.
Multiply this with thousand assets and performance goes down the shithole fast.

So basically, it's fucked either way.

i think he meant something like compression algorithm that reduces filesize while retaining the quality, like audio compression

?
you don't need nvme for anything except OS/applications/one or two games you boot up a lot. $200 can buy you a 10tb external hard drive, which you can shuck and put in your tower quite easily. Maybe stop being fucking retarded.

Attached: 1560662217798.png (1205x1233, 540.46K)

>reduces filesize while retaining the quality
compressing audio and video still results in loss of quality

What component do you think decompresses data?

Unironically developers and publishers do this shit to keep you from installing other games
>b-but
Shut up.

You can compress something and still get good quality image/video numb nuts. You can compress a raw 20GB 1080P blu-ray film to 4GB and still have it look and sound fantastic if you encode it properly.

I didn't say anything about quiality degradation.

>500$ GPU
>200$ CPU
>300$ other misc shit
>"DUDE 200$ FOR STORAGE IS TOO MUCH WTFFFF"

>Game is like 20GB bigger because it has all the localisation sound files instead of just English
>The console version doesn't have this problem and makes languages a free DLC option instead

Diablo 3 what the fuck

Yes.

>like audio compression
All the audiophiles in this thread just imploded immediately

More like audiophools. Ogg/vorbis are extremely good. At 256Kbps they're basically transparent

How many games do you have installed and how many of them do you play?

If you can't afford that bit more, I feel genuinely bad for you, I hope you find a job soon and get out of living on the street eventually.
Besides that, you can always just settle for a shitty 50$ HDD?

I have a 3tb drive and over 100 games and it still has over a tb left. Idk it's not that bad when storage is pretty cheap.

Even Switch games have this problem. Why is RE4 12GB?

Literal snake oil.

>she hasn't been steadily increasing her storage reserves throughout the years

>You can compress a raw 20GB 1080P blu-ray film to 4GB and still have it look and sound fantastic
it will still be lossy, what screen and headphones/stereo do you use?

>130gb digital only games
>a majority of ISP have monthly data limits/throttling
>customers can only download 1 or 2 games per month
Having bloat is beneficial to AAA companies because it limits their customers from also buying their competitors' products.
Don't expect it to change until bloated filesizes damage sales.

any kind of compression, whether lossy (mp3, jpg, ogg, etc) or lossless (flac, png, zip, etc), requires CPU time to decompress back into its original form.
from what I understand, the last 2 gens of consoles were very CPU-limited, so they often didn't even have the minor power to spare for decompressing audio, hence the bloated install sizes for any game that (also) targets those platforms

Dude no you don't get it, I can totally absolutely hear that sound in the background that's scientifically proven to be imperceptible by human ears, if you can't you're just le bad

don't forget their constant incessant updates that they release every other fucking day and then a 40gb patch at the end of the month

>>a majority of ISP have monthly data limits/throttling
Thank God fiber doesn't have this cancer.

>>a majority of ISP have monthly data limits/throttling
What 3rd world country?

Spectrum doesn't do data caps either.

USA...

Devs can 100% compress, trim and alter unnecessary things to make games smaller, like not forcing me to install audio files for languages other than my native tongue or not having them all be in FLAC. They're flat out lazy. I didn't say anything about quality degradation either, but the point is devs aren't utilizing compression to save space and you're trying to insinuate that they are, and we need big storage spaces to decompress it when that isn't necessary. The point of compression is that it is compressed but still retains quality, like when you convert a FLAC file to MP3 or Opus, it can still sound good, but it is just in a smaller file size that doesn't consume as much space.

Surprisingly I am on CenturyLink which I think has data caps for their shitty dsl but with fiber they don't.

>like not forcing me to install audio files for languages other than my native tongue
>"DUDE I WANTED TO CHANGE LANGUAGE IN THIS GAME AND IT MADE ME UPDATE?!?!?! LIKE WTF?"
Devs adapt to the shit people complain about. People complaining about long loading times (valid complaint imo) lead to everything just being uncompressed. If you use your brain for six seconds, you understand why things are the way they are.

"Memory Economy" or some shit like that.
The idea is it takes up so much space that you wont have room for much else. On top of that with how long it takes to download, install the game plus updates they know people are not willing to do all that shit again in most cases.
Limit what else you can play and make it a hassle to come back and play the game if you delete it from your system. You will be more likely to keep "engaging" with the game. Be it buying DLC/Micros or just playing and feeding data to them, hopefully talk about it on social media.

DT-990s and a Vizio TV. Just because it's lossy doesn't by default mean that it is bad, it really does come down to the encoder. If you've ever seen shit encoded by YIFY then you already know what horrible quality looks like.

>200$ FOR STORAGE
cheap

Attached: 1617076657609.jpg (582x830, 110.7K)

because they don't have to

/thread

based and redpilled

Not just that, compression would increase loading times by two fucking seconds and that's really really really really le bad

user.
1TB for an NVME to boot from, have the C: drive on is perfectly fine.
Then you have a larger storage drive for games
If you really need to go MLG pro on an online game and have that 0.000021m/s extra loadspeed then just install that one game on C: and everything else on the other drive.

seethe and dilate, poortranny

America's largest ISP, Xfinity (Comcast) does this

The fact the Switch can run both Doom games due to compression at the lost of frame rate is pretty impressive.

With most people being on SSDs and M2s now a days, long loading times isn't nearly as bad as it used to be and most people don't give a shit about having languages other than what they natively speak. The people that do want to change are a small minority and the devs should still allow them to decide if they want to install the files or not.

I bought a 500GB SSD for 70 dollars a few months ago. I bought a 250GB SSD when I upgraded my PC 3 years ago for like 50 dollars. I also have a 1TB HDD that I bought at the same time for another 40 dollars
Why are you spending 200 dollars?

lmao @ PCscum

Monster Hunter World took like a full minute to load missions on consoles and it still sold fucking great. Games have day 1 patches now so I don't think downloading the applicable language option to start with (Or in the case of digital games just queue up whatever language pack based on what the downloading OS is set to) would be a huge deal. We already have games that you can start playing before the download is even finished, so it couldn't possibly be that much harder to implement. But why put more effort into development when you can advertise instead.

Every game uses compressed assets, you have no fucking clue how big RAW data is. Games are getting bigger because technology advances, and with every generational advancement games grow in size to take advantage of the higher quantity and resolution textures possible with the new hardware, not to mention rendering techniques that require extra texture layers like bump maps, etc.

Seethe dilate & die

what? consoles are way more fucked by game sizes

They do technically offer unlimited to people but maybe only after you consistently go over the cap. It is still cancer.