Any Forums hates it

>Any Forums hates it
>it's actually great
Like clockwork.

Attached: gonehome.png (377x400, 252.17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/DlSx7m09R60
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

what are some walking sim ludos?
I liked picrel atmosphere, story goes to shit in the final arc though.

Attached: 1628317299866.png (460x215, 165.26K)

Everybody's gone to the rapture, firewatch, vanishing of Ethan Carter from the top of my head. There's tons anons, even horror ones

youtu.be/DlSx7m09R60

>Play game
>game tells me hes a fag
>game ends

What the hell about it is "great"? It's a virtual house tour where you occasionally read notes about your sister being a dyke. There's no gameplay or substance whatsoever.

Attached: 1615808415267.jpg (1280x720, 352.63K)

The single greatest boiling the frog release of the 2010s

>read notes about your sister being a dyke
That is the "substance".

all of those are shit where nothing happens, with the exception of Firewatch, which is somewhat interesting for a bit

Ponder this vee.
You walk to an arcade.
You grab a coin
Put it inside a machine
A guy appears on screen.
He says: Bro, I'm a gaylord
And then the game over screen.
This is literally the game.

Of course, you'd hurry to make a thread on Any Forums after playing such masterpiece.

I dislike the game as much as the next guy but to say that exploration for the sake of piecing together a narrative isn't gameplay is silly. Is it pretentious slop made to appeal to shallow casuals looking for token diversity and representation? Sure, but it's still a videogame.

It does a few things right. The ambient soundtrack is nice and I reckon very few if any at all know of the random sigh that plays every now and then. I only know of it because I took to moving all items to one part of the house.

what's great is that it got a sequel

The response to this game was the first time I realized game urinalists had ulterior motives The extent to which they praised this game was so conspicuous it actually became hilarious

>redditor shills his Game so Big boys like 4channers likes his Game
Everytime

I mean they could just have collectively terrible taste, like the Japanese.

>journalists (bloggers) treat it like it's the best thing in the universe
>it isn't really, but you get brownie points among the bloggers for pretending it is
>so everyone does
>even that one gamer psychology book tried to shill it saying it's immersive because you could manipulate objects or something
>when the game itself helped popularize the "walking simulator" tag
I never really cared about "professional" reviews outside of 90s magazines so it was just funny to me to see them try to salvage this.

What makes it so great, OP? If you can tell me, maybe I'll play it

Not him, but he never said it wasn’t a video game. And the criticism that “it has no gameplay” is obvious hyperbole. It does qualify as gameplay obviously, but player engagement is the least important part of the experience. With a ton of games you could mute them and turn off subtitles and you could still ‘experience’ them however with this you cannot.

They had no ulterior motives. What you need to realise is that game journalists play a LOT of video games, and Gone Home was a breath of fresh air that nevertheless wears a lot of classic video game design on its sleeve. It was a short, experimental, narrative-focused game that recontextualises familiar video game tropes and mechanics and offers an emotional payoff. Why wouldn't games journalists like the change of pace from playing 80-hour RPGs about saving the world from monsters back-to-back?
says the game was made to appeal to casuals, but I think it was really made to appeal to people who are familiar with video games but kind of burnt out on standard, formulaic ones. Because that's also the kind of people who made it.

> pay 20$ to walk around a house reading notes to open a hidden door in the beginning of the house
> read notes to find out your gay

DID U LIKE IT