I didn't like it

Open world was unironically a mistake.

The best content In Elden Ring is when you explore old castles and dungeons, it's the linear stuff. Everything else is empty open fields and forests.
Sure there are some beautiful vistas but they are no more than just a nice view. Every open world zone plays and looks exactly the same up close.

Attached: file.png (1200x671, 1.23M)

Honestly can't believe Miyazaki fell for the open world meme, it sucks.

i think the game as a whole was unnecessary. it still has issues that have existed since demons souls like the shitty camera, riding around the world is boring as hell, and the melee combat is the worst its ever been

I don't hate the open world, but the "legacy dungeons" are so much better it's impossible to not ask why not make an entire game from that, go bananas with the alternate paths and secrets like that first gold castle and it would've been perfect
30 hours in and i kinda don't want to touch it anymore

normal.attentionspan = false
if (game.type == type.openworld)
game.bad = true;
system.out.println("open world sucks it's a meme all open world games are bad")

Attached: 31a.jpg (602x602, 25.93K)

The main problem with the open world is that they needed to provide the player with a constant stream of loot to incentivize exploration, which resulted in them balancing the game with the assumption that you would be using the most overpowered shit you could possibly find.

You are an idiot

can you blame the guy? he's a huge zelda fan and loves to shove stuff he loves into his work.

I feel like it's a natural progression of the formula.

Always felt stupid when in soulsborne games you can't go some path because there's a rock slide or a closed door or your character can't jump over a 2ft fence.

It's still pretty directed and gated but this way we see a bit more context to the stuff we explore and enjoy the scenery.

And I feel like they did a great job of giving you multiple areas/paths to explore. There's only a few real bottlenecks and those are obviously for plot reasons.

I don't think it was necessarily a mistake but do think it was a very mediocre implementation and they bit off more than they could chew.

Pretty much this, if they're so hellbent on minimal storytelling then at least redouble efforts on level and encounter design, they should be impeccable.

It's barely open world you whiny brats. You are literally funneled between large zones by 2 or 3 paths tops.

There's so much praise for the legacy dungeons but raya lucaria and stormveil were both a straight line with some side running on rooftops if you feel like it. Stormveil was at least kind of varied and intersting side content, raya lucaria was literally "here's some rooftops and some random enemies, go nuts i guess".

>this way we see a bit more context to the stuff we explore and enjoy the scenery.
you could enjoy the scenery in past games too, you just didn't spend half the time riding through empty fields of trash mobs. Only a select few of the mini-dungeons are even worth a shit to begin with. It would be much better if they just cut the overall map size by around 50% so they didn't have to reuse almost every boss. Having so many summon ashes is stupid because you can't even use summons most of the time anyway unless there's a boss and it's clearly done so they can take enemy models and package them as "rewards."

Open World is okay. Shitty basic-ass overworld level design is not. Fucking Final Fantasy XII had a more intricately-designed overworld than Elden Ring.

Absolutely true. I didn't want to play for this reason.
The open world was so bland it felt like an Ubisoft game and the best part about it seems to be the classical dungeons which, as a consequnce of the open world, are now too short.

The game is much better if you don't use the horse

they're just doing it to fit in because of the Any Forums hates open world meme. If it was called something other than "open world" they probably wouldn't even notice

Attached: 1637065217540.jpg (540x389, 32.65K)

We get it, you dont like outside or touching grass.
You are a comfortable sewer rat in linear spaces.
Its okay to be agoraphobic.
Just remember to shower, gamer!
:^)

I love the excuses people make to justify to themselves why someone else doesn't like the game's open world.

Skyrim have ruined this generation of gamers.

Haven't tried it yet but whats the equipment in this pic? I wanna larp as despair knight.

it's a classic empty open world with copypasted activities: catacombs, dungeons, camps, ruins are all follow the same formula
please stop coping fanboy

Twitterfag go back