In hindsight, does Dark Souls 2 really deserve the hate?

In hindsight, does Dark Souls 2 really deserve the hate?

Attached: 1638578130782.jpg (5040x1050, 996.73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uEhtMUIHO4U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes.

It doesn't deserve the hate but it also doesn't deserve all the love.

This. It's the weakest in the series.

it is a literal 1 step foward, 2 steps back kind of game. the fact that the director for this game also helped with Elden Ring and you can literally feel it while playing says a lot.

Best in the series. Haters got filtered because they couldn't handle it had consistent quality unlike the first game which takes a nosedive after 0+S and becomes irredeemable garbage.

They took a couple good things from 2 and put them in ER, but the DS3 DNA is unfortunately still all over it. I'm convinced people only like DS3 the best because they started the series with it.

>the weakest in the series.

Attached: capsule_616x353.jpg (616x353, 81.74K)

It does. It really, truly does.

I was a long time defender of it and put in over 250 hours into the game at release and DLC. Stopped playing after that. I was in the endless DS2 PvP and praise threads shitposting along with you. Then everyone forgot about it and eventually moved on to DS3 when it released. I defended it in every thread because of how much I had fun playing it.

Then I picked it up about 3 months ago to do another play through and seen what absolute cancer it was and how I was unironically stockholm syndromed into liking it.

>tank and clunk movement and control
>weird responsiveness
>roll tied to your equip load so it screws with your roll distance and timings
>nonsensical level design
>absolutely cancer enemy positioning and aggro ranged
>pure cancer design of absolute cheapness in order to kill you instead of offer a challenge
>weird and horribly downgraded graphics

It played so poorly. IT wasn't challenging at all, just annoying most of the time.

Literally Demon's Souls on PC

Base DS2? Yes. SOTFS improved some aspects, but overall it's a heavily flawed game with some of the worst designed bosses i've ever seen.
Very enjoyable PVP though.

absolutely. majula sucks

It's not undeservedly the puching bag of the series but I never understood why people froth at the mouth over it.

it's consistently garbage from the start

>with some of the worst designed bosses i've ever seen.
Did you mean to post in the Elden Ring thread?

Attached: Godskin Noble roll off the bridge into respawn.webm (1080x606, 2.88M)

It had consistent mediocrity where the first was mostly excellent with some sprinklings of dogshit

?

>posts the most popular one that took best aspects from both games

nothin personnel kid

>functional controls and camera
No amount of contrarianism will make up for 2 handling like shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=uEhtMUIHO4U
fucking cringe

>Play game and love it
>Come back months later, having forgotten all the controls and timing
>WHAT THE FUCK, THIS GAME IS GARBAGE

Lol. Dark Souls 3 was such casual shit it infantilized people into not being able to enjoy the first few Souls games. What a tragedy.

>They took a couple good things from 2 and put them in ER
they also took all of its flaws and put them in ER

>I can't spam roll, so it's bad

Attached: 1636733325415.webm (1280x720, 2.8M)

>Challenge=Good
(you) are a retard that should not judge games based on difficulty.

you can spam roll

Lol

Sorry, those flaws are straight from 3

ds3 is bad, it does everything wrong, is slow, and most important of all, the art direction sucks, everything is just grey and looks soulless.

that is also true of ds2

Unironically not the case, I breezed through half the game before stopping out of boredom. But no matter what arguments I give you, you will continue inventing your own. Fucking reddit troglodyte.

>Game is based around challenging fights
>You shouldn't judge the game based on how well it handles challenging gameplay

Are you okay, retard?

2 has its own charm but all the bosses fucking suck and there are some insanely retarded and baffling design decisions that only exist to frustrate the player where Gitting Gud has more to do with mastering how to bait and kite Heide knights so you don't walk into their trigger volume and 7 high stamina high STR fuckfaces rush you all at once at the same time.

Attached: 1645644112259.jpg (900x816, 345.17K)

>everything is just grey and looks soulless.
Is it, though?

Attached: 1639601504553.jpg (5760x4320, 2.49M)

A little bit of no, a little bit of yes
It fully exemplifies the cancerous "lol prepare 2 die, game is so hard" bullshit that ruined the series, but it's still got a few nice weapons and some of the locations are genuinely cool

>DS3 DNA is unfortunately still all over it.

the DNA that DS3 inherited from DS2

ds2 is by FAR the most boring looking ds. who could forget 'rocky swamp and windmill' followed by 'fire castle'

>I breezed through half the game before stopping out of boredom
So? You’d already played 250 hours of the game, are you fucking retarded? Hahaha

Atmosphere is gone, writing is shit and filled with retarded references to the first game, bosses are boring. Mechanics are solid but everything else is garbage

dude fuck your mother in the ass with these stupid regurgitated shit posts

yes, so many purposefully annoying set ups made to tunnel you into just using bitch tactics like ranged combat or just running past everything to get to the boss door. stuff like the lost sinner bonfire spawning you so that you can immediately get attacked is nuts

If there is one thing that is cool about 2 it is being able to amass a party of NPC summons that let you bull-rush through a level, turning that's ordinarily a slow slog through dozens of copy-pasted enemies into a heart-pounding pure kino moving brawl that has you balance progression, the health of you and your allies, and clearing out enemies as you battle your way to the boss. DS3 summons were lame as fuck in comparision, I loved stumbling on a summon sign and being like "Oh fuck, it's [NPC name], who helped me through that last place. let us engage in cooperation once again my comrade!"

you didn't like the return of the storm ruler?

Most content
Most build variety
4 distinct schools of spells, all viable
Best pvp
Most replayability
Yeah I'm thinking its the best one and its not even close

Can you stop making this (You) baiting thread for one single day?

Attached: Nmw2.png (1597x894, 1.34M)

I think ER was great overall but there were definitely a few sections where I thought "this really feels like Dark Souls 2"

>layout issues on a single area therefore entire game looks boring
Fucking retards

>remember every single area from DaS1
>dark souls 2: remember, starting area, iron keep, pirate ship, ???...

Nah, the DNA from Bloodborne. DS2 is slow and methodical, Bloodborne changed all that, and now the franchise is ruined because Zoomers can’t stop getting adrenaline rushes from anime flips and spinning ten hit combos

Not grey, granted, but generic and uninteresting it most definitely is

>You are shit
>You are bored because it didn't challenge you

Stay consistent, pal. Maybe then we can start the real shitposting and arguing.

DeS is garboli and so is DS2

It was a good game.
>playing blind
>as soon as i enter majula go and join the hard mode covenant.
>get my ass kicked for hours.
>finally reach Pursuer
>stuck on him for literally 10 hours
>finally check the internet and find out im playing on hard mode
>say fuck it i can't back down now
>2 more hours later finally beat the asshole underleved as fuck on hard mode.
>still remember the feeling of triumph even though i played it on release.

Attached: 1593616108113.png (140x140, 32.41K)

kys

DaS2 has the best art direction in the series. Name one (1) other area as aesthetically pleasing as Heide's Tower.

Attached: Heidesentrance.jpg.jpg (1920x1080, 582.27K)

I don't remember DS3 having bosses where they just took an old boss but just put two of them. DS3 is responsible for every boss being an epileptic crackhead without balancing it with player movement, but don't pretend like it doesn't have DS2 staples in it either.

what? I used to farm titanite there and not once was I attacked

All Souls games are shit, end of discussion.

>es, so many purposefully annoying set ups made to tunnel you into just using bitch tactics like ranged combat
Name one.

Kino

Attached: 1641203184454.webm (840x472, 2.1M)

did the CoC not have the million warning signs before allowing you to enter on release?

>there are some insanely retarded and baffling design decisions
like?

>10 minutes of content as you walk down a hallway of what's left is the best part of the game in terms of visuals
>It wasn't even that good

user?

DaS1 isn't as good after O+S but it still has good stuff late game. Nito's area, the Duke's Archives, and New Londo are all good on their own, it just doesn't have the same cool inter-connectedness as the rest of the game. Lost Izalith is really the only late game area that felt flat out terrible

>I breezed through this game after having put 250 hours into it, so yeah, the game sucks HARD

Brutal. That’s some brutal retardation.

Naah. It said something like" the world will be darker" or some other cryptic shit.

If you only played scholar and didn't play vanilla ds2+dlc you didn't play the game and don't get to comment on it. Go back to dildoing your neo vagina with your moonveil and stop trying to talk with the adults.

This

more importantly by that point in the game you get havel's armor and can poise tank every boss to death

All covenants have Yes/No bullshit. Nobody reads it

In hindsight, do Jews and black people deserve the hate?

Something about atmosphere was lost after Dark Souls 2. The first 2 games had very distinct atmospheres, with Dark Souls 2 having this air of deep, arcane mystery and depth to the lands. Dark Souls 1 also had great atmosphere, but I find it harder to describe. Something about Dark Souls 3 really lacked this, maybe because of its linearity or the fact that the world mostly felt flat with areas mainly connected horizontally

>DS2 is slow and dogshit
FTFY. The combat was practically turn based and didn't reward reactions, just playing the dog shit AI.

I wish they made it bigger

i played the vanilla launch game but didn't buy the dlc cuz the game is trash

you'd have no reason to think the monument would lead to a covenant though

>I'm convinced people only like DS3 the best because they started the series with it.
started DS3 and could smell the lack of soul. I think DS3 is the choice for normalfags who only play COD or FIFA and started playing Dark Souls because of the meme HARDEST GAME EVER PREPARE TO DIE DUDE reputation

Yes and no.

I think calling it Dark Souls was a problem, because it's more pirate-themed. And if anything, they should have ramped up the Pirate of the Caribbean's inspiration.

Most of the problems could have been fixed with a patch, like all the weird pathfinding issues or shitty hitboxes. The bosses go from laughably easy to frustratingly hard within the same area. Balance all of these out and you'll have a good game.

As much as I was meme-d into hating it, I look back on it fondly. Yes it's not perfect, but it tried something new rather than just generic medieval fantasy. Hell, Elden Ring is generic medieval fantasy, but set in autumn.

As a child you idolize DS1, as an adult you realize DS2 is better

Attached: 1647042089103.png (754x461, 315.37K)

Looks like shit. The entire first game and most of 3 look better.

>The combat was practically turn based and didn't reward reactions, just playing the dog shit AI.
Yeah well, now the series is completely destroyed by input reading spam flurry anime attacks. DS1 and DS2 speeds were perfect.

>3

Attached: B511D692-FDD7-45BE-AE02-6B180DB650DF.jpg (1280x720, 206.83K)

That's a bit better.

user, I was able to see the glaring flaws which made the first 20 original hours a nightmare before I got used to all the bullshittery and horrible controls. Very few encounters were based on well placed enemies and a well designed level.

It was trying to just cheese the player into dying most of the time instead of offer resistance and careful planning. IT feels like the cove/cave area was the only place where some effort was put into how players would approach it and have fun instead of just designing shit on how to kill the players as fast as possible.

This but unironically.

>hallways are good when dark souls 3 does it

samefag. you are the only person in the world who likes this game

>user, I was able to see the glaring flaws which made the first 20 original hours a nightmare before I got used to all the bullshittery and horrible controls.

Lol, but then you got used to it and played 250 hours. This nigga just hypnotized himself into hating something he liked because he was rusty. Fucking wild shit.

Where did I say that or are you just trying really hard to shitpost?

Do shitposts live in your head rent free and you just assume anyone who disagrees with you holds the contrarian views?

For anyone who doesn't think Ds2 was not an improvement over Ds1 in terms of art direction just compare Valley of Drakes with Dragon Aerie

Attached: 335300_screenshots_20170628201150_1.jpg (1920x1080, 345.68K)

I like all of the games.
DS2 has the best NG+

FIBBY PIBBY

DS1 was good, but too exploitable, DS3 and ER are pretty good for the most part, you are just getting old, grandpa.
DS2 is literal shit. There are 3 passable boss fights in the entire game, the rest is absolute garbage.